Sig P938's First Range Outing

MikePapa1

Yesterday I took my new P938 Extreme out to the range for the first time. I picked it up on Friday, field stripped, cleaned and gave it fresh lub and placed it in my High Noon tuckable IWB Hidden Alley and wore it around a bit to find the most comfortable position. I normally carry at about 4 o'clock and this worked well even when in the most casual of positions.

Out at the range, after reading reviews of FTEs and other issues, I mainly shot for reliability rather than accuracy. As with my other 9s, at the range I normally shoot White Box, the 115 gn. I alternated between the regular and the extended magazine. The only problem I had was in initially bring the round into battery, with the extended magazine, it failed to fully go into battery and required a positive push. I attributed this to the magazine spring which is extremely stiff and noticed that it caused the initial round to try to load slightly to the right. I think that as the spring gets worked in the problem should disappear. Frankly, as it is only on the initial round if the weapon is carry as designed, in Condition 1, this shouldn't be an issue.

I shot about 50 rounds of the White Box with no issues other than a single failure to eject. I dropped the magazine, cleared, reinserted the magazine and cycled with no further issues. I then shot about 20 rounds of Lawman FMJ with no issues. I then fired 20 rounds of Federal 9bple in +p+ with no issues.

After shooting I again field stripped the pistol and found it remarkably clean. I saved cleaning until I got home.

Let's see, overall it performed very well. As I said I wasn't shooting for accuracy but was shooting 8 in Bianchi plates at 25 meters and hit about as many as I do when I shoot for accuracy so without a specific accuracy exercise I'm confident in hitting a man sized target center mass out to 25 meters which is all one can really expect from a subcompact like the 938.

I really didn't notice any excessive muzzle flash from any of the rounds and the recoil was what I expected and was frankly, less than some of the smaller poly guns I've shot.

As to the downside, I sold my PPK because it kept taking chucks out of the web of my hand. I had a similar such incident with the standard, as opposed to the extended magazine because I was trying to over grip the pistol. After the first time, I saw why it happened, compensated and it didn't happen again. Also I've become so unaccustomed to physical labor and I'm sorry to say my hands are softer than I might like in the manly area. The Extreme has very aggressive checkering on the back strap starting about the middle down to the magazine well. I didn't notice it at the time but I noticed a small blister in the middle of my palm where the aggressive checking begins. This will be remedied by toughening up through more range time or real work.

I'm very happy I picked the 938 and am now confident in its ability as a carry gun. It's light weight (I'm used to a 220) and small size makes it an ideal pistol for concealed carry. Further it will fit the myriad of holsters of every style created for the 238. With the ability to shoot 9mm self defense rounds it inspires more confidence than the 238 and is perfect as a back up for a 1911 or other SAO .45 or full size 9.

• Like 1
Guest jmoe816

Thanks for the review. I went and held one at my local shop recently and am determined to buy one. Too bad I can't get much from my Kel-Tec PF9.