Some bolt action projects

Some of you may have remembered a thread started by GunTroll (Brandon @ Middle Tennessee Gunsmithing) about a B.A.T. Machine .308. Here is the link: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/41249-it-has-begun/page__p__671703__hl__guntroll#entry671703 . It has a Lilja barrel, Manners stock, Nightforce scope, Cerakoted in a Satin Graphite Black and threaded to run suppressed. With some basic loads trying to get some data for the owner it was holding a .5" group at 100 yards but still has the potential to be better once the right load is found. Here are some pictures:

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

Next up, owned by the same individual now, is a Howa 1500 in 300 Blackout. I don't remember the barrel manufacturer (I'll edit once I figure that out), muzzle break to run suppressed, Manners stock, Leupold scope and Cerakoted in a Multi-cam pattern. This was holding .5" group at 100 yards with factory 300 whisper ammo and a YHM suppressor. Here are some pictures:

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

I hope you enjoyed them, I know I enjoyed my trip to Memphis to shoot these. My first shot out of the B.A.T. was at an 800 yard AR500 steel target, it connected and I couldn't have been happier. The Howa was dead on at 100 yards in any shooting position that I tried.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look nice. The top looks heavy for some reason.

But I'm sure it wasn't intended to be carried around very far since it was made for long range shooting, huh?

What length is that barrel? (the.308)

As for the bottom .300, I like it. But don't know enough about that round.

Camo looks nice though.

.... threaded to run suppressed....

Post a pic of the slick way that Brandon threaded the first rifle. Its one of the best examples of how to make a "cover" for the end of the barrel when not using a suppressor.

For those looking at the pic - - - The barrel has the cover in place. Its such a fine bit of gunsmithing that the barrel looks to be one solid piece! :up:

DMark, Here are the pictures of the B.A.T. that you requested.

THREADPROTECTOR1.jpg

THREADPROTECTOR2.jpg

THREADPROTECTOR3.jpg

THREADPROTECTOR4.jpg

I didn't end up getting a picture of the muzzle, it was done on an 11 degree crown from the barrel to the thread protector.

Edited by gunrunner32

How does the Howa do at ejecting 300 BLK brass?

I know some brands can have issues because of the short BLK case. I plan on doing a Savage unless there is a better platform. There is an EASY fix for the Savage but maybe it is time to find another brand.

What bottom metal is that on the Howa?

I have exactly ZERO experience with the 300 BLK, especially so with a bolt gun. What bolt gun do you think would work best for a dedicated 300 BLK? I know Savage can have issues as well as Remington.

Dolomite

The bottom metal of the 300 BO is from AI. As far as ejecting and chambering, it took some work on getting the bottom metal to meet up with the action as well as some work on the magazine lockup to make the magazine sit at the right height. The Howa we based this off of was the 1500 and the bolt has the M4 styled extractor, and there was no issues with ejecting factory 300 BO and factory 300 Whisper ammo. The M4 extractor on bolt actions is an awesome mod/factory add on.

Thanks for the information.

I am debating on just buying another bolt gun just to have something different. I have and build Savages so that is what I know and have parts for but I think I might look for something new.

I have a barrel blank coming so it doesn't matter what the action is, I just need to find one.

Dolomite

One thing to keep in mind with the Howa is the barrel is threaded with metric threads, I'm sure you are capable of doing that though. I enjoy shooting the 300 BO, I'm thinking of putting an AR upper together chambered in it, unless I find another revolver that I like.