Bad Ammo Horror Stories

Guest Rupertus

Guest Rupertus

Any bad ammo horror stories out there?

I've had ammo explode while shooting but it had no ill effect on the gun...it didn't feel too good in my face though; I think they were reloads from Anderson Munitions. I'd post pics but don't know how or if I'm allowed since I'm a newbie.

Anybody experience damage, to gun or self, from bad ammo? I'm also interested in reliability issues but mainly damage.

Advice on ammo to avoid, and why, would be good...dirty doesn't bother me but damage does.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I've never had any damage from ammo. I've had a few Remington UMC .223 fail to feed in my AR and I had a FTFire in my Kel-Tec with a Speer GoldDot. The KT one really bothered me since I was at the range and was just firing off the rounds I had carried in my mag for the past few weeks. Sucks to know that you would have only gotten two shots off before the dreaded "click, no bang" when you really needed it. Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: The loudest sound in a gunfight is when your gun goes "click" when it should have gone "bang".

Guest atomemphis

I've found lots of crappy 22lr ammo in my quest for affordable, quality stuff.

CCI is the best of what I've shot.

Federals and bulk Remingtons aren't as well manufactured I've found.

Some have peculiar bullet profiles and don't feed well, some of those that don't feed well have part of the bullet disfigured from the jam badly even. Worse yet, some misfeeds of the cheaper ammo have the bullet and case no longer in a straight line! Bends the point where they connect, eek!

I've shot dirty centerfire ammo, and clean centerfire ammo, and sometimes the cleanliness seems to vary from box of 50 to box of 50.

WWB is dirty. MagTech clean is just that, clean. Wolf - dirty.

I also know that Corbon +P packs much more 'wallop' (perceived) than some other 45acp +P's.

Guest Mugster

+1 on CCI for .22 long rifle.

I've never had a problem with factory ammo. I stick mostly with newly made winchester and CCI for centerfire, although federal makes a good enough round I think. I just picked up a case not long ago of m193 made by federal to try out. We'll see if it matches Q3131.

Yea, it sucked. That, and my stomach hurt.... the mage blew out the bottom and bruised me good. However, I'm very thankful that I was not really hurt, nor was anyone else. It coulda' been ugly.

BTW, Ultramax DID fix the gun (after like 3 months) and it worked just fine again, but after that it didn't feel like "my gun" anymore, and I sold it.

Ultramax .40 (Factory reloads).

Had half a box of this junk lying around for about 10 years. Decided I'd use it all up practing the day before my HCP class (no practice needed for that!) as I decided to never shoot factory reloads again after it was gone. Not because I've ever had any problems - but because one of my forties is a Glock and I prefer not to have the thing blow up in my face

Anyway when I was down to the last 5 rounds saw fire belch out of the chamber and felt some burning powder on my face. Catastrophic failure of the case occurred. Complete separation of head. Luckily, I was shooting the Baby Eagle and there was a gunsmith onsite to take the casing out of the chaber. Luckily no damage.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EasilyObsessed

I had a "hot" WWB 9mm go through my Beretta Saturday. Other than spitting a bunch of crap back in my face, a significant change in recoil and noise, it didnt do any damage. Fortunately, the gun handled it just fine.

First time that has happened amongst probably 10k rounds of the WWB, but I will probably start spending just a bit more money to buy higher quality range ammo.

Guest tokarev

Of all of the .22 ammo I buy, I avoid Winchester's "Expert". I had a box that had a dud about every 8-10th round. Of course, that back in 2001 and it might be better now. Kind scared me away from it, although I use other Winchester .22 loads and even their loads in other calibers.

Once, I was shooting one of my CZ 52's and the last round in a box of S&B 7.62x25 turned out not have any powder in it. Fortunately, the bullet barely lodged in the barrel and was easy to knock back out. I still have the case and bullet somewhere as a reminder of what can happen with factory loads. I thought it was kinda funny that it was the last round out of 4 boxes that I was shooting that day.

I had a "hot" WWB 9mm go through my Beretta Saturday. Other than spitting a bunch of crap back in my face, a significant change in recoil and noise, it didnt do any damage. Fortunately, the gun handled it just fine.

First time that has happened amongst probably 10k rounds of the WWB, but I will probably start spending just a bit more money to buy higher quality range ammo.

I had one round out of my WWB 9mm 100 round pack, that had a stouter recoil and made a loud bang. I dropped the mag, cycled the other round out of the chamber, and everything looked fine. Loaded it back up and went on through the rest of the box. No harm to the P-89