Kimbers

Guest ADAM

My be in wrong place so mods move if need be. I went to Jonesville,VA last night to pick up a disc, when we got to the fellows farm we heard gun shots, as we walked around his barn the ole man was shooting his pistol. I noticed that he was shooting cans in the field, but these cans were about 80-100yards away and the man was hitting it everytime. I was amazed by that. As we started talking he was showing me his Kimber and explaining all the custom work he has done to it and he said that these are the most accurate 1911 there are(by custom work he meant all the engraving he had done). Are the kimbers really this accurate? I personally have never shot one or even picked one up for that matter. I know it has alot to do with the shooter but a .45 that is that accurate at that distance is impressive.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Are the kimbers really this accurate?

It's likely that his Kimber was accurate but are Kimbers as a brand really this accurate; I'd say no. I think you were simply seeing the results of a shooter who is competent with his weapon....I highly suspect he could be as accurate with any reasonably well-made 1911 (and probably any other handgun if he had time to get accustomed to it).

I'm no expert shooter by any means but I've been around long enough to conclude that the skills that make a shooter accurate with his auto-loading handgun is going to be pretty much the same regardless of the design, manufacturer, etc. Certainly, a 1911 that has had everything possible done to it for the gun itself to be accurate has more potential to be accurate than some out of the box, inexpensive (and perhaps poorly made) 1911 but the skill-set is still, I believe, the key component.

I've owned several Kimber 1911s in both .45 and 10MM; they were good firearms and I don't regret buying any of them but it didn't break my heart to part with them either. :)

Edited by RobertNashville

Seems like a simple case of an old guy who knows more than everyone else. I'd hate to prove the guy wrong, but I'm fairly certain there are people out there 1911's from other manufacturers that know their weapon just as intimately as this guy knows his and can do exactly what he's doing. I've never seen anything done with a Kimber that any other respectable manufacturer's weapon couldn't do. And to just as much a degree, "it's the indian not the arrow."

Mac

Guest drv2fst

I have always shot better with 1911's than any other style of pistol. I've had two Kimber's. I have no complaints about the brand at all. However, just like others on this topic, I imagine that guy was a good shot AND knew that particular gun very well.

Funny/Sad story: My first 1911 was a Kimber USA Team Match. I took a tactical shooting course and shot EXTREMELY well for the entire course. Later, I sold that gun because it was "too big" and "too heavy" to carry. I have never shot as well with ANY gun as I did that day. I wish I had never sold it. Of course that was 10 years ago and My eyes are not as good now as they were then. But with that USA Team Match I could hit a target the size of a quarter at 25 yards. I am lucky to hit a watermelon at 25 yards now.

There are definitely 1911's that are better made than Kimbers but my plain stainless II with 5" barrel is the most accurate handgun I've owned. I did do some trigger work to it and a clean, crisp, light trigger has a lot to do with hitting your target IMO.

Never owned a Kimber but I've been eyeballing a Stainless Target in 10mm for the last couple of weeks. I had finally decided that I was going to buy it. Went to my LGS and fondled it one more time. In the next case over was a Dan Wesson Heritage. Being a DW fanboy I had to handle it too. The Kimber just didn't feel as "solid" side by side and I ended up not getting it. Unfortunately I didn't get the DW either. If only it had been a 10mm....

.....he said that these are the most accurate 1911 there are(by custom work he meant all the engraving he had done). Are the kimbers really this accurate?.....

The only Kimber I've owned is the Ultra CDP II. I shoot it beside my full size 1911 pistols and it does an excellent job, if I do my part. It's been as reliable as my other pistols and easy to carry.

Guest bulluck533

Kimbers are extremely accurate pieces. Probably the most accurate handguns under $1500 as a whole. If your willing to pay up Les Baer's are truly more accurate. But thats alot of money. Both are great guns.

If you saw a guy shooting cans offhand with a handgun with open sights at 100 yards and hitting them every time; you were in the presence of shooter greatness. A guy like that could probably do it with any gun that would shoot straight.

Provided of course by “cans†you mean beer or coffee can size. If by “can†you mean 55 gallons drums; not so impressive. :)

Kimbers are definitely at the top of the heap in production 1911’s. But give credit where credit is due; you saw a very good shooter.

.... My first 1911 was a Kimber USA Team Match. I took a tactical shooting course and shot EXTREMELY well for the entire course.... I have never shot as well with ANY gun as I did that day. I wish I had never sold it...

Didn't happen to be this one in .38 Super?

f4ihib.jpg

Because it looks like this now.....

34nha36.jpg

Getting back on topic - - - I've been mostly a Colt guy all my life when it comes to 1911s. The above Team Match is the only Kimber I have. However, I must admit that I have never fired a Kimber that wasn't accurate. Can't say the same about my beloved Colts.

Guest 6.8 AR

I can't comment on Kimbers as I've never owned one, but to add to what Robert said, have you seen Hickok45 pick up

any pistol and hit metal at 100-150 yards consistently? Amazing what a good shooter can do. It ain't the gun.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest drv2fst

Didn't happen to be this one in .38 Super?

f4ihib.jpg

Because it looks like this now.....

34nha36.jpg

Getting back on topic - - - I've been mostly a Colt guy all my life when it comes to 1911s. The above Team Match is the only Kimber I have. However, I must admit that I have never fired a Kimber that wasn't accurate. Can't say the same about my beloved Colts.

Mine looked almost identical but mine was in .45.

id love to buy a fullsize raptor2 but I

really want to fondle one before I drop coin - Is there a large Kimber dealer in TN ?

I've bought two Kimbers (Pro Raptor & Ultra CDP II) from LA Firearms in Union City, TN. They claim to be the second largest firearms dealer in TN.? They have always had a good selection of Kimbers each visit.

My be in wrong place so mods move if need be. I went to Jonesville,VA last night to pick up a disc, when we got to the fellows farm we heard gun shots, as we walked around his barn the ole man was shooting his pistol. I noticed that he was shooting cans in the field, but these cans were about 80-100yards away and the man was hitting it everytime. I was amazed by that. As we started talking he was showing me his Kimber and explaining all the custom work he has done to it and he said that these are the most accurate 1911 there are(by custom work he meant all the engraving he had done). Are the kimbers really this accurate? I personally have never shot one or even picked one up for that matter. I know it has alot to do with the shooter but a .45 that is that accurate at that distance is impressive.

Most decent handguns (of any caliber or make, really) can hit a soda can at 50 yards out of the box with decent ammo. 100 is tricky, and very hard for the .45, as it has terrible drop off at that range and the shooter must compensate for that or use special ammo (a super light bullet at higher speed for example, or rather hot ammo). I would say you have a very good shooter, a custom gun, and possibly hand loaded ammo combined here.

Even if the gun could do it out of the box, it would still take high quality ammo and an excellent shooter to do it. I suspect he has had accuracy work done, but its possible he did not, but it has to be handloaded or high quality ammo either way.

I've bought two Kimbers (Pro Raptor & Ultra CDP II) from LA Firearms in Union City, TN. They claim to be the second largest firearms dealer in TN.? They have always had a good selection of Kimbers each visit.

May drop in on them....Thanks

I am interested in in a Raptor2 in stainless 5" Pretty neat looking gun

Guest bkelm18

A gun is only as accurate as the shooter. I'd say 95% of handgun owners will never be as accurate as the pistol they are shooting. Give that man a Rock Island 1911 and I'd bet he could still hit those cans.

Nice. I just picked up a Kimber CDP from a member here but have not been to the range yet. At 25 yds, how tight do you think the group would have to be to hit soda cans at 100 yds? 1/4 the can size??