Recommend me a set of sights

I am looking to get a new set of sights to replace the plastic Glock 19 sights. I would really like a contrasting color but the fiber optics seem to be more prone to breakage. I was also looking into the ameriglo I-Dot sights. Does anyone have any experience with this type? It seems like that would assist in getting a faster sight picture.

Yeah I am leaning more towards the traditional 3 dot sight now. I have been looking at mine trying to picture the "I-dot" style and I don't think I would like it. I tend to focus my eyes somewhere in between the front sight and the target so the three dots would probably work better. Trijicon and meprolight seem to be the industry leader. I don't want to go cheap on these. Anyone install there own? I won't be shelling out the cash for a rear sight tool so do you think it's better to have them installed?

WOW. Didn't realize it cost that much to get them installed. I might end up just replacing the front sigt with a trijicon or something. I don't mind spending the dough if I NEED to but I am mainly just reading what people are saying on the interwebz about the plastic sights being crap and instances of them just coming off. While it would be nice to have night sights I shoot fine with the factory sights.

Trijicon. I love em. I like to wake up in the middle of the night for no reason and see them glowing.

What Caster said, LOL. I have Trijicons on my PPQ, green front, yellow rear. Work great.

You'll need a sight pusher for the glock, might as well go on & get one. The PPQ required

no special tools.

Waking up in the middle of the nite, seeing those little green/yellow eyes shining, almost

as good as.......never mind.

Guest Lester Weevils

For defense with my bad eyes, XS Big Dots are easy to see day or night. In the day, the front sight is so big you'd have to be nearly blind not to see it, though not necessarily a target sight. I put some Big Dots on the Kahr P9 and like em. The tritium cell in the back sight sprung a leak and went dim. It is warranted but I haven't got around to getting it replaced. Maybe XS isn't the only kind of tritium sight that could occasionall spring a leak, dunno. The giant front sight is the main thing that makes it easy to aim.

Haven't got around to buying any, but think I'd really like Truglo TFO. Tritium and fiberoptic as well. In the pictures the fiberoptic rods look pretty well protected. Kinda wish Truglo would make TFO's for more models of gun. I have night sights on the G17 already and don't shoot the G17 much anyway. The G17 night sights are no more visible in daytime than ordinary sights. There are several pistols I shoot more, would consider trying TFO's for range in addition to the night-sight capability, but they only make em for certain "big selling" lines of pistols.

Guest Victor9er

Haven't got around to buying any, but think I'd really like Truglo TFO. Tritium and fiberoptic as well. In the pictures the fiberoptic rods look pretty well protected. Kinda wish Truglo would make TFO's for more models of gun. I have night sights on the G17 already and don't shoot the G17 much anyway. The G17 night sights are no more visible in daytime than ordinary sights. There are several pistols I shoot more, would consider trying TFO's for range in addition to the night-sight capability, but they only make em for certain "big selling" lines of pistols.

I have those on both of my Glocks. I love them, the fiber optic gives them a nice bright "glow" during daylight, and at night when there's little to no light the tritium does the same. They are also pretty low profile which I like.

In hindsight, post wise, we have Truglo on our duty Glock22s. I like them better than Trijicon, but they don't

offer them as yet for my PPQ. Trijicons are good, but Truglos just seems to be brighter, at leat on my gun.

YMMV. Don't think you would be unhappy with either.

I picked up Ameriglow sights for my G22.

Ground a socket for the front, used a brass punch for the rear, very easy to change.

Shot a 12" 10 round group at 25 yards, I know "no pics or it did not happen"

Well I do not have any, sorry.

So far so good, have close to 300 rounds on them and no worries.

gl125andgl126.jpg

Edited by RED333

Well I have seen the one handed method of racking the slide on your belt by using the rear sight. I konw that is a little farfetched that that will ever happen but who know. I shot a G19 with the heinie straight eights last night and really like them so I will probably go with the Ameriglo I-dot equivalent.

I've always used Trijicon sights with the exception of one set of Meprolight sights. I always found them to be the brightest and longest lasting tritium sights out there. I have a Glock 22 with Trijicons that must be well over 15 years old, maybe even close 20 years old. They aren't bright, but in a dark room, there is still plenty of glow left for use in low-light. The XS Big Dot sight on my Ruger SP101 has Trijicon markings on the top (and XS on the side). If I am not mistaken, the Glock OEM night sights are made by Trijicon.

Go with the Trijicons and you won't regret it.

Trijicon HDs

Ameriglo ProGlo front / your choice rear (I-Dot, Classics, or Pros)

XS Big Dots

IMO, these are the 3 best combat sight set-ups available.

Currently, I have Ameriglo ProGlo fronts (orange) and Ameriglo Classic rears on all my defensive pistols. I would not hesitate to use Trijicon HDs if/when the time comes.

I happily used XS Big Dots for many years, until a vision issue made them a no-go for me.

Edited by TN-popo

I didn't realize that dealers charged for the install of aftermarket sights. I have put trijicon's on all of my carry guns with the exception of the sig--it has fatory 3-dot night sights. My dealer has always installed the sights for free if i buy them from him ($109 to the best of my memory.) If your near the tri cities, shoot me a message and i will share the dealers name.

Yeah my local range said they would slip them on for me but they did not have the ones I was looking for so I just ordered them online. Thanks to all for your offers of putting them on. I am going to get a nylon punch and attempt it myself. I will post up my results.

I installed my rear site using a vice and rubber mallet I used a pot holder to secure the slide in the vice. I wouldn't recommend it but it worked for me with no scratches. The main reason I wouldn't recommend it is for the off chance a vile could become knocked loose.

I'll get a picture up as soon as I can get one taken but I got them installed today. I just used pliers on the fron sight as opposed to grinding down a socket to fit. Do I need to get it EXTRA tight or just as tight as possible with the pliers. I did use loc-tite on it.

The rear sight went in with no sanding. I used a wooden vice and a wooden dowel/punch thing to knock it in with no scarring.