Gun Collection Woes...

dbla

So it seems like every couple months I am selling and reformatting all my firearms. Up until recently I have had only handguns. A glock, a M&P, a Springfield, etc... trying them out, find what works and what doesn't then selling it and moving on. My wife laughs and shakes her head everytime I say I listed a gun, it happens fairly often. I can usually maintain my investment with minor losses usually in accessories (holster). Recently I sold a wheel gun I wasn't really digging and entered shotgun land. That leaves me with three handguns and one shotty.... now I am getting the AR itch, unfortunately the boss won't allow me to spend anymore cash on firearms at this time. So I am thinking, I have my carry gun (M&P45c) and a pocket CM9 which I currently have listed in the B&S forum. I also have a walther PPQ, that recently I haven't really been digging too much.... So, I need some advice, if I sell the CM9 and the PPQ I should have enough to get me into AR land with a decent head-start... midrange DPMS, Del Ton, S&W, whatever... but should I? That would leave me with the essentials: a handgun, a shotgun, and an AR. *sigh* What to do? Thoughts? Advice?

-a

Guest Victor9er

S&W M&P-15 Sport can probably be had brand new for around $700 or not much more than that. No forward assist and no dust cover but other than that a solid AR to start with, and you can always mod as you go so it doesn't have to stay "stock" if you don't want it to.

The M&P's are very solid guns, it's hard to find ANY negative reviews on them. I'm making some mods to a M&P-15OR that I picked up for right at $1000 and I love it so far. Can't wait to get it finished up!

Edited by Victor9er

Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way. Sometimes I worry that I'll regret selling whichever handgun I end up selling, but I think id find a lot of enjoyment in having a "project" gun. Does that make sense?

Guest Victor9er

I think that's what makes the AR's so great, there's SO many aftermarket add-ons available that you can really customize it and make it your own. And 95% are easy do-it-yourself things that require little to no tools. And they are fun to shoot as well :lol:

Be careful with the Black Rifle, it's like crack, but in a good way. :woohoo:

I would have to agree with Victor9er about finding a quality entry level rifle. There is just so much you can do with one and so many different flavors it's seems prudent to start with something that makes sense financially for you. Once you have it and see what you like and don't like and decided 100% on the intended use then dive into the other stuff. I'm just as guilty as others of buying a $1000 rifle and then another $1000 worth of crap for it and ultimately I end up going back to a standard M4 setup. Heck, if you ever head up this way you can shoot some of mine and get a feel for it before you buy. Good luck.

Guest Scramasax

You could also go the route of buying the parts and assembling one yourself. This adds to the "tinker time" and lengthens the enjoyment. Cast your net around. I feel sure there are enough of us that would be willing to let you try the different styles of ar we have cobbled together. It took me 20 years to finalize the two ARs that I like. Reason being a lot of the parts weren't made until recently. I've got a fair amount of factory take offs sitting around, stocks, grips etc. Still need a couple of lowers to build and round out the set. Still have internal parts upgrades to do and more optics. Not as satisfying to me as restoring a traditional rifle but much easier. More like playing with an erector set than a true build. It is something you can do without a major investment in tools and enjoy the results.

Cheers,

ts

unfortunately the boss won't allow me to spend anymore cash on firearms at this time.

That would leave me with the essentials: a handgun, a shotgun, and an AR. *sigh* What to do? Thoughts? Advice?

Depends on what you think the essentials are. Multiple handguns are required for HCP carry. If you want to get into AR’s; so be it. So what’s the shotgun needed for? Do you hunt with it? If not ditch it and use the money for essentials.

What does your wife spend money on? Mine likes to gamble, so every time she goes to Tunica or Vegas; I get a gun. biggrin.gif

Depends on what you think the essentials are. Multiple handguns are required for HCP carry. If you want to get into AR’s; so be it. So what’s the shotgun needed for? Do you hunt with it? If not ditch it and use the money for essentials.

What does your wife spend money on? Mine likes to gamble, so every time she goes to Tunica or Vegas; I get a gun. biggrin.gif

I just got the shotty, thinking I want to try out 3 Gun or something... Why are multiple handguns required? She buys clothes and house stuff, but I easily am the spend heavy in the house... I have no room to argue.

Why are multiple handguns required?

Well…

You need a Tupperware carry gun for when you need superior firepower. (15 rounds of .40S&W)

You need a Tupperware compact for when you want more concealability. (10 rounds of .40S&W)

You need a Micro compact for when you want even more concealability. (6 rounds of .40S&W)

You need a 1911 just because they are cool and make great range guns. (8 rounds of .45ACP)

You need a .357 mag revolver for target use at the range and at home the wife can pick it up and shoot without knowing anything other than how to pull the trigger. (6 rounds of .357MAG)

You need a J-frame S&W revolver for deep concealment, and because everyone else has one. (5 rounds of .357MAG)

You need both a .22 Tupperware gun and a .22 revolver because you want cheap trigger time for target practice.

Oh… and since you are getting into rifles now let’s take a look at what you need there.

You are getting you first AR; that’s great. You know of course you need an Eotech to go on it don’t you?

You will also need a bolt action high precision sniper rifle in .308. It will need to wear a high power scope capable of that application. (Leupold, NightForce)

Now you will need an AR in .22 and a .223 bolt for cheaper trigger time.

And then of course you will want the ultimate battle rifle; an AR in 7.62 NATO.

I am not a hunter; if you are you might need a shotgun. If you aren’t and have fulfilled the above list; you don’t need a shotgun.

I know I have left out a few things that you can get by without for now. You will be able to get them later. These are just the things you NEED.

biggrin.gif

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2

I bought a cheap AR last year to get into the platform. I was going to tinker with it and build it up as I discovered the platform. It sat for a year and I never shot it. I sold it after a year so it would get some use. A couple of months go by and I start poking around on another forum and wind up reading alot more about AR's and doing more research before hand. Long story short I got back into them big time over the past two months. I ordered a kit from Palmetto State and built one myself. Great rifle. Has functioned flawlessly so far and wound up being a great way to get into the platform. I wish I had done it that way the first time around.

The only downside is that now I'm sitting on two more strippled lowers mulling over how I want to build them up next and how in the world I'm going to pay for them as I do! It really is addictive.

Guest Victor9er

Well…

You need a Tupperware carry gun for when you need superior firepower. (15 rounds of .40S&W)

You need a Tupperware compact for when you want more concealability. (10 rounds of .40S&W)

You need a Micro compact for when you want even more concealability. (6 rounds of .40S&W)

You need a 1911 just because they are cool and make great range guns. (8 rounds of .45ACP)

You need a .357 mag revolver for target use at the range and at home the wife can pick it up and shoot without knowing anything other than how to pull the trigger. (6 rounds of .357MAG)

You need a J-frame S&W revolver for deep concealment, and because everyone else has one. (5 rounds of .357MAG)

You need both a .22 Tupperware gun and a .22 revolver because you want cheap trigger time for target practice.

Oh… and since you are getting into rifles now let’s take a look at what you need there.

You are getting you first AR; that’s great. You know of course you need an Eotech to go on it don’t you?

You will also need a bolt action high precision sniper rifle in .308. It will need to wear a high power scope capable of that application. (Leupold, NightForce)

Now you will need an AR in .22 and a .223 bolt for cheaper trigger time.

And then of course you will want the ultimate battle rifle; an AR in 7.62 NATO.

I am not a hunter; if you are you might need a shotgun. If you aren’t and have fulfilled the above list; you don’t need a shotgun.

I know I have left out a few things that you can get by without for now. You will be able to get them later. These are just the things you NEED.

biggrin.gif

Don't be silly.......

He needs the shotgun for the zombies!

:stir:

Don't be silly.......

He needs the shotgun for the zombies!

:stir:

Not to be "that" guy but I'm sorry... I don't really do the whole "zombie" thing.

I need the shotty for the mutha lovin ALIENS! Their ray guns aint got nothing on my 12g slug!

Your at a point where waiting and saving for the AR will keep you from giving up another firearm. Being upfront about this with your wife will build trust and bonus point's. However, one of the best thing's is to introduce her to shooting and let her purchase her own handgun or rifle first will be an even bigger win.