The Walking Dead Scenario

And as disgusting as it might sound cities have tons of rodents that can be harvested for food.

This is my only problem with Dolomites post. ;) Rodents are very tasty! How many of you eat squirrel? They are rodents and taste much like rat. Yes I have first hand knowledge of it. The one problem with rodents though, is they carry diseases so who ever catches and prepares them should make them selves knowledgable in said food groups. LOL

Edited by buck1032

Hrmmm.

The gun? Well, it depends on what kind of situation. If it's zombies, my 10/22 would work. I have a 25-round mag, and the gun has a 3-12x scope. If it's not zombies, I think the 10/22 would still be superior to the other working rifle I own, a Marlin 336. Although it'd be much more effective, only holding 7 rounds and kicking strongly would offset that.

Then again, ideally - meaning any gun, whether I have it or not - I would go with a Saiga 7.62x39. Reliable, accurate enough, and 10 round mags are good enough for me. A scope would be nice, maybe with see-through mounts to keep the irons usable.

For the blade... I'm keeping my friend's Gerber machete while he's away, so that that that. That thing is razor sharp, and tough enough to chop down hickory quicker than an axe. Believe me, I've done it, bahahaha. It wouldn't be the most ideal thing for combat, because of the blade shape and position, but oh well...

Ideally, a more proper machete with an 18" or so blade, single or double edge, would be better for combat, but... as a tool... not sure.

It's always fun to think about this kind of stuff.

• Like 1
I'll play and cheat. Since my wife will be with me we get two guns. When the family is together we will have six guns. They will be 1 870 12ga, 2 ar-15 300 blkout supressed, 1 mkIII suppressed, 1 1928 Thompson, 1-1911. For blades we will have 2 Condor Goloks, 2 Ryan hawks, and two Wheeler fighters.

For transport we have two Grumman whale boats. They are 18' double oar locks with 9.8 Johnson outboards. We all live within a mile of the river system with my parents in the middle. Once together we can either keep the boats separate or turn them into a catamaran. Haven't decided yet. We will have enough gas to bug out and oars for backup. It will take us around three to four days to use the river system to get to 3 miles from our farm.

The farm has a 3br brick house with wood stove,fresh running water, solar power, generator, root cellar. It is separated from the road by a 4' foot creek with 8' banks. The road has three bridges that can be blocked or demolished to inhibit egress.

Well that is more info than you asked for. Just couldn't resist a little bragging. This is not a fictional wish but a planned and practiced scenario. Just an over view. Not complete for security purposes.

Cheers,

ts

Do you need a few more people with guns to help with security? LOL

Okay my turn, gun AR15 with CMMG .22lr conversion kit. My wife would use the old Marlin model 60 in .22 lr  because she is deadly accurate with it. Blade would be my cold steel Gladius 18 inch double edged blade.

Edited by zgunbear
Do you need a few more people with guns to help with security? LOL
You say this as a jest, just cutting up, but it brings up a good point. Going to be lots of guys out there want; thinking they have something to offer a group with their offer of security muscle.

If anyone wants to be welcome in a group, you better have something better to offer. A green thumb is a better offering than an iron fist. A blacksmith, mechanical savvy people, ect.
Anyone can learn to shoot a trespasser.

Not picking on you zgunbear. LOL

I would take my 10/22 for the reasons others have mentioned. I would also have my Condor Golok machete with me. It's fast, light and sharp. I would leave Atlanta and head for my property in East TN that I own. It's only about 40ac but has a wooded hill, a spring and good neighbors. I would try to avoid the highway if I thought it was necessary.

Guest Lester Weevils
I've always thought a Naginata would be great for walkers. It gives you advantage of keeping your distance which is always a good thing, as well as superior leverage.

Naginata.jpg

That looks like a "lighter duty" version of that old bush-hogging tool dad carried in his service truck when he did lineman work out in the boonies for the railroad, back in the 1950's. It looked real similar except the blade was more substantial shaped more like a bowie knife and the handle was slightly bent and had optional "grim reaper scythe" side handles that could be used for better leverage bush-hogging at certain angles. Old dad said often he had to work at night alone in "bad sections" of the town or country, and nobody ever offered to give him any trouble when he was toting that thing along. :)

They must have been pretty rare or maybe just totally forgotten nowadays, because as far as I can tell, can't find an internet picture of that kind of tool, or anyone offering to sell the same tool nowadays. Maybe that particular configuration was only "ideal" for whacking bushes away from telephone poles so you can climb the pole, dunno. He said it was also really good for slicing and dicing rattlers.

Edited by Lester Weevils
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1357077898' post='874341']You mean a brush axe????[/quote] We got about half a dozen of those at my dads. They where super popular for railroad and lineman crews. Work great but they are heavy to swing all day Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy
I got a couple myself. Darn right they're heavy and wouldn't be all that good for zombies. If you failed to cleave the through, the blade could easily get embedded and be difficult to remove. How tired would a fella be after a few hours of choppin walkers with one of them? Wheew!!!!
Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Spots and Caster

Yeah that is real similar but as best I recall the thang had more like a scythe handle and a straight fat blade. Maybe the straight blade would have been better for chopping, dunno nothin. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but maybe shaped kinda like the sheeps foot blade, the left blade in this picture of a shrade uncle henry knife--

edit: got the name wrong, the sheeps foot is in the middle. It had more a shape like the left blade, which is maybe called a drop point blade but dunno nothin about blades. Or maybe that is a spey point?

2220.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Lester Weevils

OK, sorry for the confusion, it is a very old memory. Looking up bush axe (thanks for the name) found Kaiser blade. Some of them are more hooked than this one, but this may be the implement in question-- I know it doesn't have the shape aforementioned, but looks real familiar now that I see it.

3910-844.jpg

https://www.heimanfireequipment.com/product_info.php?products_id=977?osCsid=middrmceqd5644l9cpnub2b3p6

Says it has a 40" handle and 16" double edged blade. Substantial fella. Maybe it would get stuck in a zombie, but if you swing the thang its gonna take off a head I'd think. Still think dad's implement had a crooked handle.

Says its also called a sling blade, but where I come from a sling blade was something else entirely, a handle with a steel hoop that held a straight blade. Somebody skilled with that kind of sling blade could cut lawn grass almost as tidy and flat as with a lawn mower, but I never got that skilled with one.

WeedWhacker.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Lester Weevils

Now see, all this time I thunk he did the deed with this kind of sling blade (which might be more brutal than using the other kind)--

WeedWhacker.jpg

[quote name="Lester Weevils" post="874447" timestamp="1357084060"]Now see, all this time I thunk he did the deed with this kind of sling blade (which might be more brutal than using the other kind)--   [img=http://www.lowes.com/images/LCI/Planning/BuyingGuides/WeedWhacker.jpg][/quote] I don't know, might not be too bad. Carl was a fairly tall looking fella and pretty strong. I guess it'd depend on where he hit you first. Now, Gary Coleman trying to kill you with one could get pretty painful.
Guest Aces&8s
I might just take my K31 and its bayonette... powerful cartridge, loads fast with stripper clips, fast straight-pull action, good reach with the double-edged blade on the end, and if worse comes to worse, the butt-plate was designed with skull-cracking in mind...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2