Generational / Regional

Funny thing happened to me this week. My feed ramp on one of my .45's is scuffed up so I thought I would drop by Lowe's and pick up some crocus cloth. I went to all the logical sections and did not find it. So, I started asking a number of employees where I could find it, a total of 8 employees. Note that they all were probably less than 40 years old if that matters. Anyway, none, and I mean no one, ever heard of crocus cloth? So...

I'll stop by Wally World, surely they will have it. Looked around again in all the logical places one might find it, nope! So, I asked the first female associate I found where it would be. "Sir, I believe if you check the fabric section, you'll find it there"! I thought what the heck, might as well, who knows? I asked the lady in the fabric section, by any chance is crocus cloth located in this section. And her response, "what's crocus cloth, is it a burlap product"?

I came from the St. Louis area and everyone knows what crocus cloth is.

It has to be a generational or regional thing? I've been to places and met people who have never heard of BBQ pork steaks and mostaccioli. I've even been to the eastern U.S. and if you want a cold drink you ask for a bottle of POP, not a soda.

I just thought this was interesting but frustrating.

P.S. I ended up getting steel wool, they heard of that before :rofl:

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for Lowes and it is in the sandpaper section. My store doesn't carry any really fine grit though. Ask for emery cloth and that should get you there. I think the finest thing we carry is 800 grit aluminum oxide sand paper. To get the really fine stuff you will have to go to an automotive paint store.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

WTH is mostaccioli? :shrug:

It's a pasta shape. Not unique to St. Louis. I'm from St. Louis too.

I use fine grit sandpaper, and finish up with one of those little bullet shaped felt things out of a Dremel polishing kit. I just use the jeweler's rouge that comes with the kit.

Edited by mikegideon

Reminds me of when I went to Kansas and went to a Walmart and asked for a buggy (they kept theirs outside). The greeter said the didn't sell buggys. I told her I only wanted to borrow one and pointed to someone pushing one. The lady said, "oh, you mean a shopping cart". And don't even get me started on the whole sweet tea thing...

Guest Victor9er

Reminds me of when I went to Kansas and went to a Walmart and asked for a buggy (they kept theirs outside). The greeter said the didn't sell buggys. I told her I only wanted to borrow one and pointed to someone pushing one. The lady said, "oh, you mean a shopping cart". And don't even get me started on the whole sweet tea thing...

Oh I lived in New York for a little while, they look at you wierd if you say "buggy" also... instead they will ask for a "carriage" or a "wagon"

And not just the sweet tea either, good luck trying to find a red velvet cake up there... I had a hankering for one while we lived there, couldn't even find the freaking cake mix to make it myself!!

And if someone tells you that "there's some pie in the break room if you want any" don't go in there expecting to find dessert. That phrase translates to "there's some boxes of greasy pizza in there if you dare"

Kinda like asking for sweet tea up north.

I find sweet tea to be one of the most crazy things. You do not order coffee at the waffle house and expect someone to dump in exactly the amount of sugar and cream into it to match your particular taste -- you do it yourself. But everyone expects a food place to have sweetened tea that is just right (usually, at most places, its about 3-4 times too sweet, and worse, weak, making it a nice glass of cold sugar water). I think tea should be the same, always unsweet, do it yourself to get it right ... I cant believe anyone drinks the stuff that most places serve.

Jonnin- Any sweet tea aficionado knows that the only way to make real sweet tea is to add the sugar to boiling water and then steep the tea bag in said sugary water. Adding the sugar to already cold tea will not properly properly sweeten the tea as it will not dissolve. This will leave you with an unsweet beverage with a sweet sand like substance in the bottom.

OP- Sorry I've never heard of a crocus cloth.

WestwindMike- I was thinking the same thing about hosepipes as I was reading the thread.

More on sweet tea... First time I went to California I'd been off the plane at LAX for about 2 hours. Needless to say I was experiencing some hardcore culture shock. We go to a steak house and our waitress is your stereotypical dumb blonde, the sun and some other things probably had completely fried her brain. The conversation went like this.

Watiress- What would you like to drink.

Me- I'll have sweet tea.

Her- I'm sorry, what was that?

Me- I'll have sweet tea.

Her- Sweet tea? I'm sorry I'm not sure what that is.

Me- Do you have tea?

Her- Yes, we have tea.

Me- Well you take tea and you put sugar in it, that's sweet tea.

Her (not sarcastic, dead serious)- Wow! That sounds really good, I'll have to try that sometime.

More on sweet tea... First time I went to California I'd been off the plane at LAX for about 2 hours. Needless to say I was experiencing some hardcore culture shock. We go to a steak house and our waitress is your stereotypical dumb blonde, the sun and some other things probably had completely fried her brain. The conversation went like this.

Watiress- What would you like to drink.

Me- I'll have sweet tea.

Her- I'm sorry, what was that?

Me- I'll have sweet tea.

Her- Sweet tea? I'm sorry I'm not sure what that is.

Me- Do you have tea?

Her- Yes, we have tea.

Me- Well you take tea and you put sugar in it, that's sweet tea.

Her (not sarcastic, dead serious)- Wow! That sounds really good, I'll have to try that sometime.

Welcome to Kalifornia...

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but 10-ring is right. Everyone knows you can't sweeten iced tea at the table unless you use those God-awful pink/blue packages of toxin.

The only alternative that works is a little known trick where the restaurant puts a squeeze bottle of simple syrup on the table.

Still don't know what crocus cloth is, but I bought some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper at Harbor Freight. It works almost as good as the polishing compound and felt wheel on a Dremel that someone else already mentioned.

I use Splenda to sweeten my tea. I prefer the taste of it over sugar.

We have that at work, I may give it a try too. If it almost tastes as good as real sugar, it's a win. The other stuff is horrible.

Guest bkelm18

We have that at work, I may give it a try too. If it almost tastes as good as real sugar, it's a win. The other stuff is horrible.

Splenda is supposedly made from sugar so there's no chemical junk in it. Supposedly.