Decent night's sleep at last!!!

Just wanted to post this for anyone who is looking for a new mattress. The wife and I decided it was time to replace our seven year old mattress due to progressively worsening joint and back pains. We decided to look around at memory foam mattresses but cringed at the prices some of the better known brands were asking. A helpful associate of the Brown Squirrel introduced me to the Jamison Bedding Company who is based in Tennessee. Jamison doesn't spend much money on advertising and promotions but come to find out they are the provider of mattresses for major hotel chains and luxury resorts accross the globe. Go local Tennessee business! Anyway, we ended up buying their Oceana model for half the price of a comparable Tempurpedic. Not saying Temps arent' great mattresses but so far our Jamison feels as good and actually sleeps a little cooler. Plus I really liked the fact that I was buying a locally made product from a company that's been in business since the late 1800's. I may follow up in a few months to see if anything's changed. Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else had heard of Jamison and could offer any opinions as to the longevity and quality of their mattresses.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

I GOT A GREAT NIGHTS SLEEP LAST NIGHT TO...

PARTIALLY DUE TO MY MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS AND (MAINLY) MY MEDS FOR MY BACK INJURY!! WOW....WAS I OUT!! HA HA HA

FEL LIKE A HANG OVER THIS MORNING....

BUT BACK TO TOPIC....THESE ARE AMAZING! MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE FOR ME AND HOW MUCH I SLEPT AND HOW I FEEL IN THE AM.

I AM A BIGGER GUY, 270 (ISH) AND MY WIFE IS LITTLE...SHE LIKED THE SUPER SOFT ONES HOWEVER AS A BIGGER GUY, THOSE SUPER SOFT ONES WERE NOT GOOD FOR ME...I BASICALLY SUNK INTO THE THING!! HA HA...CAUSED A NICE CRATER!!!

SHE WOULD ROLL OVER N DOWN THE HILL TO ME DURING THE NIGHT IF WE WENT THAT ROUTE...NO WAY!!!

SO WE SETTLED ON A NICE SOFT, BUT NOT TOO SOFT AND NOT TOO FIRM ONE....

THEY HAVE SO MANY OPTIONS NOW THAT IT IS GREAT.....

YOU WILL ENJOY THE SWITCH I PROMISE...

AND AT THESE PRICES YOU WILL SAVE GREAT MONEY COMPARED TO THE "OTHERS" OUT THERE...

GOOD LUCK

My girlfriend works for another Tennessee based bedding manufacturer. The have come along way with "foam" mattresses. Many of the foam matresses out there can make you feel hot while sleeping. They've recently introduced a layer of open cell micro-gel to their matresses which help channel heat away from your body. We will be upgrading in the very near future.

My girlfriend works for another Tennessee based bedding manufacturer. The have come along way with "foam" mattresses. Many of the foam matresses out there can make you feel hot while sleeping. They've recently introduced a layer of open cell micro-gel to their matresses which help channel heat away from your body. We will be upgrading in the very near future.

Yep! This is also why we went with the Jamison over the Tempurpedics. I laid on a Temp at the store for about 15 min and could already tell I was heating up. Some of the Jamisons have all these little holes drilled in the top layer so air can circulate underneath you.

I bought a Jamison mattress last fall and I am glad I did, that is the best sleep I have ever had. I picked mine up from Roberts Furniture here in Greeneville. Really good people to deal with if your up this way. Plus they have zero interest wells fargo financing for 12 months. I have furnish my whole place like that.

Like Jamison, the company my girlfreind works for is able to keep their prices lower because they don't spend huge sums of money on advertising. The lack of advertising can be a double edged sword, because while they are able to keep prices lower than most of the well-known competitors, some people shy away simply due to the lack of name recognition. Either way, if you knew what the markup was on matresses, it'd probably make you puke.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Glad to see this, I was actually planning on purchasing a new mattress this coming week. I'll make sure to check these folks out.

What I did since I really didn't know much about the different models and such was just call Jamison direct and speak with their customer service line. I told them my info like height and weight and they asked me what firmness level I liked and if I was a back, side, or stomach sleeper and were able to reccommend a couple of models over the phone. Good folks!

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I am selling the wife on taking a look at these mattresses.

Whew! For a second there I read the 'on' in your second sentence as 'and'. Brought a whole, new aspect to the post.

Guest Lester Weevils

I like the memory foam mattresses too. About 6 years ago did a bunch of reading and shopping on the topic, haven't paid attention since. Probably all different now. This is old out-of-date info.

I had experimentally laid on a tempurpedic for a few minutes in the store and it seemed promising but no way was I gonna spend that kind of dough on a piece of foam. Especially since with my back and joint problems (not severe but it can occasionally get kinda bad)-- The "proof" whether a mattress would be an improvement could take months. It is just so gradual the damage a mattress or furniture or ergonomic habits can cause, and any improvements are equally gradual. Pay that kind of money for something that might turn out counter productive after sleeping on it for a few months?

After the disc herniated 20 years ago, looked for ways to help it heal up and looked for ergonomic reasons that helped the back go bad-- After the disc herniated the back told me which of our household chairs had been gradually doing damage. The bad back was a fabulous alarm system that could really get yer attention if you treated it wrong. Went shopping every store in town sitting in every chair, looking for something I could sit in that didn't hurt too bad. Ended up with a couple, and you can only sit in one at a time. But I made a couple of mistakes, chairs that seemed comfortable for a week or two before doing damage. Ferinstance I have two office chairs that I bought different years as "most comfortable I could find in town". I sit in one chair for about a week and then I sit in the other one for about a week. Each chair causes its own set of aches. I work in one chair for a few days til my butt and leg get sore, then switch out to the other chair to heal up the butt and leg, until the back gets sore. Then go back to the first chair again. :)

So anyway about 2006 we were remodeling and the old king bed frame was about to fall down and the old mattress felt like sleeping on a sack of rocks. Its the kinda thing if the back doesn't hurt then I can sleep anywhere. If the back is hurting then one tiny defect in the mattress feels like sleeping on a big rock or a tree limb in the mattress.

Threw all that stuff out and bought a walmart queen size 8" memory foam mattress that was cheap. As best recall it was in the $100 ballpark, but maybe more. Slept with the mattress on the floor some months, to find out whether it was worth building a frame for it, or whether the mattress would have to go to good will. After the walmart memory foam mattress "passed the audition" and didn't seem to be causing long-term damage, I built a real-rigid "built like a tank no wobble by god" oak platform bed to set the mattress on.

At that time the fashion in factory-made bedsteads had seemed to drift to rather high-off-the-ground bedsteads, compared to the low ones fashionable for decades in the past. They looked weird at first because I was accustomed to seeing low beds. But the tall ones ain't a bad idea for an old guy. As long as the bed isn't "crazy tall" so you have to climb up into it, then its easier on the knees to get in and out of a tall bed. There were websites of small-time craftsmen selling beautiful (expensive) custom platform bedsteads so I studied them for monkey-see-monkey-do ideas and ended up building the bed with the top of the platform (that the mattress sits on) 21" off the floor. The 6" oak side-boards extend 1.5" above the platform to make a lip so the mattress ain't gonna accidentally slide off any time soon.

Another thing nice thang about a tall platform bed is all that storage space under the bed. Got a bunch of gun cases and ammo cans under about half the bed, and the old arthritic hound has he own "doggie memory foam" bed under the other half. That area "belongs" to one dog more than the other. Old travis likes it under there. In the day he'll sleep in a livingroom chair for awhile til he get tired, then he'll go sleep on my memory foam bed to rest up, and then when my bed has him tuckered out he'll go get under the bed and sleep on his pad in the dark and cool. The dogs have such a rough life around here.

When I was shopping the various "non tempurpedic", it may be different nowadays. They came in different thicknesses. Each model would be X inches of firm foam on the bottom bonded to Y inches of memory foam on-top. They would also sell 1" to 3" pure-memory-foam "toppers" for not all that much money. So one concern, a lot of the mattresses seemed a little too firm for sleeping on one's side. The mattress didn't "give" quite enough to keep hips and shoulder from throwing the back slightly out of alignment, and didn't "give" quite enough to keep you from waking up after four hours with a seriously painful shoulder and having to flip over and give the other shoulder a chance at getting sore. IOW, the depth of the soft layer might be about right for a small woman, but my shoulders are pretty wide and jut out farther than my wife's shoulders.

So I experimentally got the 8" mattress that had about 2" of memory foam, figured I'd try it awhile and if it turned out too firm, I'd add-on one or more memory foam toppers. After a couple of months added a 1.5" memory foam topper and it is "about right" but sometimes still get a sore shoulder. Might ought to try adding another 1.5" topper to see if it works any better, but the 8" walmart mattress with the 1.5" walmart memory foam topper is working pretty good. Maybe another 1.5" of foam wouldn't fix the old shoulders any better. Nowadays maybe the specs on all the products have changed.

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • 4 weeks later...

Ended up with a Jamison Mediterean mattress from B F Meyers in Goodlettsville. Great folks to deal with, got a great deal on the bed. I'd recommend the mattress and B F Meyers to anyone!

EDIT: They had Jamison and Temperpedic mattresses side by side. I tried both, the temperpedic's seems really hard.

Edited by Metalhead

We have a matress from the Sleepstore...love it..

Will look into these once we need a new one.

one thing tho.....make sure hou have windows open for at least a week.Those new foam things give off a really high amount of chemicals due to the manufacturing process..@

See I thought that would be the case with the Jamison too but it didn't seem too bad really. It does have a different smell to it but not overpowering at all. My wife was kinda worried about it smelling because of our one year old being around but even she didn't think it was too bad.

Edited by gnmwilliams