Who likes Limburger Cheese?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most everything. There's not a cuisine in the world I couldn't sit down and get stuffed on.

'Bout the only thing I actually just never put down the hatch is buttermilk. Don't know how I got turned off on it growing up. Love every other dairy product produced, I guess.

- OS

I like most everything. There's not a cuisine in the world I couldn't sit down and get stuffed on.

'Bout the only thing I actually just never put down the hatch is buttermilk. Don't know how I got turned off on it growing up. Love every other dairy product produced, I guess.

- OS

oh I love buttermilk chop up some onions and put it in with some corn bread mix it all up yum

The only time I ever liked Limburger cheese was in the mid 1970's, when I put a block of it on the intake manifold of a buddies van as a practical joke. Good stuff I must say.

Always wanted to taste head cheese but, don't want to waste the money to find out I don't like it. Then, I seen a program on TV, what it is and how it's made. NOPE!

I love limburger. It's great on a sandwich with a slice of onion. I miss the Mowhawk Valley brand that Kraft discontinued a few years back. The brick is the only choice out there now. There is some Amish branded "limburger" spread out there but it's actually made from processed cheddar and just doesn't have the right taste or texture.

And I also like buttermilk.

Guest bkelm18

Milk is one of the very few things I'm particular about. It has to be regular cow's milk and it has to be ice cold. I wont drink sheep, almond, soy, buttermilk, slightly warm, luke warm, or anything above fridge temp milk.

Guest Lester Weevils

Brie is good. Last couple years Asiago became a favorite. Blue Cheese (though some domestic variants don't stink enough and taste disappointing). Limburger. Romano. Parmesan. Goat cheese. The working man's michigan specialty domestic cheeses-- Pepper cheese, smoky cheese, bacon cheese, horseradish cheese. Ultra-sharp cheddar. Ain't et many cheeses I can't appreciate though my tastes are hardly refined. Heck I'd wash it all down with buttermilk. If the first bite tastes like three-day-old vomit, then after a couple more bites it generally tastes great! Even ultra-mellow cheddars are great. I used to like gouda but lately not so much. I can eat gouda but it just doesn't seem tasty. Mozzarella is good on pizza but for eating mozzarella raw, one might ask, what's the point? May as well eat pureed styrofoam.

In years past I'd take thangs like incredibly sharp white cheddar and cook it into a dish, expecting a mega-cheezy taste. Then get disappointed that the cooking somehow evaporated all the good sharp taste out of the the cheese and the recipe didn't even taste like it contained any cheeze at all. Eventually discovered that ultra-mellow cheeze survives cooking best, and Velveeta, the most humblest of cheeze, tastes about as cheezy as its gonna get after cooked into a recipe. Velveeta is great raw too. Dunno if they changed the recipe or if my tastebuds have degenerated. Fifty years ago I'd eat a raw slice of velveeta and it didn't even taste like cheeze. It tasted about like a yellow slab of chemical waste- Soylent Yellow. But nowadays a slab of velveeta tastes great raw, straight out of the Old Frigid Dare. Even cut-rate Walmart brand Velveeta clone tastes pretty good.

When I was a kid ole Dad liked to eat canned smoked oysters. In jest, every time Dad would pop the can, Mom would mock the smell. She would hold her nose, open windows, pretend to wave the odor out of the house. Which gave ole Dad copious amusement, causing him to chortle and guffaw while propping smoked oysters on Salteens then dropping em down the hatch.

So one day during this corny family ritual ole Dad bragged to Mom that he was gonna prove once and for all that smoked oysters are a gourmet dish regardless of what her nose told her. We had about a six-month-old kitty, so he put a smoked oyster down on the floor for the kitty to eat. The kitty cautiously approached the smoked oyster on the kitchen floor, took one sniff, then kitty turned around and made sandbox-kicking actions instinctively trying to bury the oyster. Maybe kitty was afraid the oyster was an accident she forgot to cover up. So Mom got a big kick out of that turn of events.

I like King Oscar sardines in olive oil, smoked oysters in cottonseed oil, various tuna in olive oil. Eat those pretty routinely, taste good and they contain supposedly-good-for-you fish oils. Don't eat cheese routinely any more. Too fattening. A piece of cheese tastes better than a sliice of lard, but its about the same effect on the metabolism after you done et it. I used to like canned anchovies but swore off after one of the little bones caused a painful and spensive gum infection.

Ok. My wife doesn't get to complain that I eat weird things from time to time. Brie and limburger?... none for me, thanks.

- OS

My father-in-law likes to get a tall glass of buttermilk, mash a biscuit or two into it, and drink it.

:rofl: haha i would eat the stuff listed way before i would even look at Mayonnaise i hate that stuff!!!!!

+1 Can't stand the stuff!

Can't say that I've had limberger or not, probably as my dad used to love giving us kids odd foods. I'd probably like it, cheese is one of my favorite food groups.

I have no idea what I eat that would be considered odd. I'm sure there's something but it all seems normal to me.

Rule of thumb on cheese the worse it smells the better it tastes. Used to have a buddy would pick it up in WI for us. My Brother In Law and me always tried to outdo each

other for the stinkyest Limburger at Thanksgiving Get Togethers. I aquired some aged six years and the cheese shop kept it under glass in store. We were all banished

to yard with it by my sister and told never to bring it again. Looked around here for some a couple months ago and only found a Europe Import at Whole Foods. Anyone

know where to get in area?