Glock 30 vs compact 1911

jay1313g

What are your thoughts on these two? I've heard rumors of jamming issues with the "less than full size" 1911s and I'm familiar with Glocks. I'm not as thrilled with the girth of the Glock though. What is your experience?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Rabbi, I didn't mean to get under your skin. I'm annoying, you're annoying - we have something in common. Can't we be pals? :drool:

I've also heard that the compact 1911's can have issues with FTF malfs. I have an early Springer Compact, and I'm hoping to be home for the shoot. I could put a couple hundred rounds of mixed ball and JHP through it (reloads) and report back...

Generally, the smaller the firearm, the more susceptible it is to stoppages.

If you are looking at a Commander sized 1911, or a Glock 30, have you considered the Glock 23? It is smaller, VERY reliable, and easy to shoot. The 40 caliber has virtually the same effectiveness as ANY 45 caliber round. This midsized powerhouse has proven itself over the years. It is not a scaled down gun. It was designed from the ground up as a dreadnaught that does not fail to work!

The Glock is almost indestructible. If parts are needed down the road, such as a recoil spring assy', a Glock Armorer can call Glock and get one sent free. I am, among other brands, a Glock Armorer. I typically keep a few parts in stock for the Glock. If you need a part, I swap it out, call Glock, and get a replacement. No charge to the consumer.

I will be glad to meet you and give you a quick orientation on your firearm. The learning curve is short. We can meet at a range for live fire, or at a gunshop, such as Eastside, for a non firing orientation.

You ARE going to buy from the Rabbi, aren't you? If you need night sights, get them from him as well, and I can meet you at the shop and install them free of charge. This is a service ALL Glock Armorers agree to perform as a condition of becoming certified.:drool:

I don't know of any other maker providing this level of service.:tough:

My primary carry weapon is an Ultra Compact 1911. I quickly found that most of your 'jamming issues' with this type of weapon are due to improper extractor tension. I originally had some FTF issues but after approximately 30 minutes of beveling, polishing and adjusting the tension on the extractor.... problem solved. Since then I have not had a single malfunction of any type. As usual.... it is always a matter of personal choice. Diehard Glock fans are just that.... ditto for 1911 fans.

Guest atomemphis
Hey, Rabbi, I didn't mean to get under your skin. I'm annoying, you're annoying - we have something in common. Can't we be pals? :)

I've also heard that the compact 1911's can have issues with FTF malfs. I have an early Springer Compact, and I'm hoping to be home for the shoot. I could put a couple hundred rounds of mixed ball and JHP through it (reloads) and report back...

I believe that is fail-to-feed, have not heard of any fail-to-fires with a 1911. 3 point jams are not uncommon when a 1911 is new and things are 'too-tight' or slightly out of spec. The smaller 1911's are running smoother and smoother out of the box as time goes by, I'd shoot both several times before making a decision.

And the girth of the glock isn't that much more than the 1911, but its the more abrupt angles on the side.

Again, shoot both and decide what fits you better.

Guest atomemphis

I'm all about my acronyms like:

IIRC

YMMV

FTF

FTFeed

FTRB

FTE

ND/AD

It might be good to compile a sticky list somewhere.

But yes, back to the 1911's, some don't feed well from the factory for whatever reason. Once it starts running smoothly, they fire very nicely.

Guest Hank

In total agreement with atomemphis...... My 3in. 1911 had a few jams right out of the box but to be fair to the gun, like an idiot i shot it straight out of the box, no lube, it was snowing, didnt clean it first! But after that first day break in period I had no mishaps what so ever, but just in case I did purchase a pair of wolf mag springs :D.

To each is own, like everyone else on here is saying, go to the range and shoot both and see which one you like the best, shoot the best, fits well on your person! Goodluck

Guest Grout

Are you talking a Commander or Officers size 1911?.Either way the G30 will have more capacity than the 1911s.The only thing I don't like about the 30 or any compact Glock for that matter is the less than full grip with the magazine removed.But that is just me.I have owned 2 Glock 30s and they both worked perfectly with all but one type bullet.They will not work with 200gr SWC bullets.I know that is not a bullet you would use for defensive purposes but if you were at the range just shooting and you had some SWCs loaded keep that in mind.However every G21 I owned fed them fine,go figure.

Edited by Grout

John Wall,

Thanks for the offer. I do have a 26 w/Crimson Trace grips now. The Glock is an excellent gun but I borrowed and shot a full size 1911 and liked it very much. I was comfortable with the "push" of the .45 rather than the "snap" of the .40s that I have shot before. I'm considering moving from the 9mm to a .45. I need to rent both and put some rounds down range. It's cheaper than buying something you don't like.