AR parts recommendation

samson7x

Well I have about decided to just build a 300blk upper and looking for parts recommendations. In particular, I need suggestions on an adjustable gas block. Ill be using supersonic and subs through it so I need the flexibility the adj block will provide.

I found a Yankee Hill upper - $95

Core15 16" barrel 1:8 - $235

Rifle length free float tube - $45 used (not sure brand)

Adjustable gas block - ????

BCG - ??????

Suggestions for BCG? What advantage does chrome provide? Nitride? Are they worth the $100 extra?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the gas block:

Paladin Machine Service

3832 Gates Ford Rd.

Kershaw, SC 29067

(803) 475-7542

It isn't that they are any better than any other but for $60 they can't be beat

For the BCG I would buy a standard milspec. The BN coating is good but like chrome is doesn't hang onto lubricant. For me the extra $100 isn't worth the advantages over standard milspec.

Also, make sure the bolt itself is properly hardened. It should be shot peened.

Dolomite

Guest agt.dealer

Go with a mil.spec m16 bcg for spikes tactical or bravo company,gas seals will never let ya down like the low end bcg!if you building a non corrosive round upper I would say a fancy finish is not needed just looks cool

Guest agt.dealer

Thanks for all the info. It will be carbine length...that ok for both super and subs?

So this should suffice?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

that's the one!same maker as spikes just a different logo!ever think of doing a piston instead of gas? My buddy that builds for spikes has a foot in with the guy that makes the piston set UPS so I maybe able to get a slight deal on one or 20 lol.

This is the best deal I've found on adjustable gas blocks (except for drilling and tapping them myself).

http://www.kiesfirearms.com/Parts_and_Accessories.html Scroll down about halfway to find it. It's low profile, if that's what you're wanting.

As far as bolt carrier groups, the BCM you linked to will do fine. It will probably have to do. BCGs are kinda scarce online right now.

Good luck,

Will

In the people I've talked to that own them a pistol length gas system is the more desirable. Ive been told it will shoot supersonic in unsuppressed and subsonic suppressed. The rest may or may not cycle. Varies from gun to gun

What length barrel are they using though? Is using pistol length gas on a 16" barrel illadvised? I believe I can order a Wilson Combat 16" with pistol gas for a decent price if not.

Buy the 16" barrel with the pistol length gas system. If you shorten the barrel you will still have correct port. If you have a carbine length system and shorten the barrel it will never run right.

Then buy an adjustable gas block and get it adjusted.

What the adjustable gas block does is lengthen the gas system. A pistol length system normally has a very high port pressure. And those high pressures would, without a doubt, over gas the gun. So what you can do is install an adjustable gas block and turn the gas down it until the pressures are the same as a rifle length system thus reducing the stresses on the gun.

You can do the same with your 300 BLK or any caliber for that matter. Use a pistol length gas system and install an adjustable gas block. Some blocks use a set screw and some use a switchable block with different port size in the block itself.

For the setscrew type you start by turning the setscrew all the way in. Fire a single shot with the magazine in place. If it doesn't lock back on the magazine, which it won't, turn the screw a 1/4 turn out and repeat. Continue this until the bolt locks open on an empty magazine then add another 1/8 turn for reliablity. This is the optimal setting for that particular type of ammo. What you could do is count the number of rotations from all the way in for a particular ammo. That way you could make adjustments as you need for whatever brand of ammo you are running. Also, with this setup an oversized port size isn't critical because the port blocked by the setscrew meters the gas amount. You can also use this method with subsonic ammo as well but it might require a larger port in the barrel then use the block for adjustments.

For the switchable block follow the recommendations of the block maker. It should be pretty easy to get it adjusted so it will work with supersonic and suppressed subsonic. It generally requires the port in the gas block to be drilled rather than the port in the barrel. But you might need to also drill the port in the barrel to a larger size for reliable subconic operation.

Dolomite