Damn auto correct

I had an issue with mine when I first got it. The problem, which was pretty serious, was this.

Every time I typed the word "wife" it autocorrected it to "wide".

Not sure why it did but it took a couple of resets to get rid of it. And before it did it led to a few awkward moments as my "wide" looked at my texts.

Who else has had an issue with this time saver?

Dolomite

Guest bkelm18

It's cråp. It's just a bandaid fix for a generation of people with no education.

Yep, and automobiles are just a bandaid fix for a generation(s) of people who are too fat and lazy to walk.

Edited by bkelm18

Yep, and automobiles are just a bandaid fix for a generation(s) of people who are too fat and lazy to walk.

Oh come one, that's a stretch brother. What need of spell check does a person have if they paid attention in school and actually learned how to spell.

Likewise, name one kid who can actually write a PROPER letter nowadays. I know I can't remember proper form.

Edited by Caster

I use my phone for talking on and taking pictures with - with a crappy GPS and darned good weather program thrown in so I don't feel quite so much like a dinosaur. It is not a smart phone and that probably makes me the technological equivalent of bronze or perhaps early iron age man.

Having said all that, there are some good reasons for refusing to buckle to the pressure of acquiring a smart phone and auto-correct seems to be one of the best. Even the spell check on Fire Fox frustrates me at times because of its tendency to insist that the British spelling of a particular word is somehow more correct than the American spelling.

I do not envy those with auto-correct and envy even less those with auto-correct who don't take the time to proof read before hitting 'Send' (or whatever it is that smart phone users hit besides their heads on the wall of frustration). You have my heartfelt condolences!

:hat:

Guest bkelm18

I think comparing automatic and manual transmissions would be a little better. That's just ,my .02 cents.

I wasn't making a serious comparison, obviously. I was pointing out the vacuosness of the original comment. I'm fairly certain there are plenty of educated folk who use smartphones and are quite grateful of auto-correct when typing on a tiny keyboard.

I wasn't making a serious comparison, obviously. I was pointing out the vacuosness of the original comment. I'm fairly certain there are plenty of educated folk who use smartphones and are quite grateful of auto-correct when typing on a tiny keyboard.

Yes, yes I'm joking as well. Swype is the same way. Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's just plain annoying.

I think comparing automatic and manual transmissions would be a little better. That's just ,my .02 cents.

Honestly, I think a better comparison would be cars that can park themselves because the driver can't.

My first experience with a spellchecker (the fore-runner to auto correct) was with the Brother word processor on which I typed my papers for college back in the early 90s. I was constantly having to add words to its 'dictionary' because I apparently knew a lot more words in my brain than were in the word processor's computer 'brain.' Sometimes it got on my nerves so badly that I'd just turn the spell checker off.

That said, as my time spent being formally educated grows more and more dim in the rearview mirror of life, I am sometimes glad for autocorrect as a spelling aid. Just keep in mind, however:

"Spellcheckers don't know shirt."

Edited by JAB