Question for the reloaders:

I'd never thought of this, but when Phantom posted it in another thread, it got me thinking. So, anyone near Johnson City reload? I'd like to do this with several of my weapons, but I don't reload, and don't actually know anyone who does nearby. I'm not sure what this would cost in materials and time, but I'd be happy to reimburse someone if they were willing and able to make me some.

Dry practice with your P229 won't hurt it but as Voodo90-two said, and I quote:

Quote:

you might want to consider using the spring loaded primer snap caps. They are made with a brass casing and primer with the rest being made with a see thru plastic shaped like the bullet.

The snap caps won't hurt and they will also help you on your clearing drills. Also, if you know someone that reloads, may want to have them reload a magazine's worth of dummy .40 cal for you (case and bullet only- spent primer and no powder charge). Whole lot cheaper than the snap caps. Just be sure to mark the dummy rounds clearly. A black or blue Sharpie pen works well for this. Put a thick colored line all the way around the case with the Sharpie. When using, Always double check for the colored line and that the primer is dimpled. Put them in a box marked "Dummy" and never have this "Dummy-nition" out around any other ammunition. Oh and one more thing, whether you are loaded with dummies or you are dry, always keep that pistol pointed in a safe direction. :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skwashdem,

I reload and am very near kingsport. Usually its 9mm, and .45.

usually it depends on what cal. you're looking to reload before you can find someone that can help...lots of guys have only the dies for the ammo they shoot.

what caliber do you want to reload? *grin* I can reload 100 rounds of 9mm and 45 for about 5 bucks.

Guest GlocKingTN
Skwashdem,

I reload and am very near kingsport. Usually its 9mm, and .45.

usually it depends on what cal. you're looking to reload before you can find someone that can help...lots of guys have only the dies for the ammo they shoot.

what caliber do you want to reload? *grin* I can reload 100 rounds of 9mm and 45 for about 5 bucks.

Thats cheap enough tower! Wish I was closer!:)

to be honest skwash, what you need to do..if you're willing and know enough, is to remove the bullets and the powder from the casings, insert them singly into your weapon and fire the primers, then re-seat the bullets.

don't go right out and do it though..I'm pretty sure that others would want to add safety tips, as well as how to tips for this

guys?

I don't see where a reloading machine would be neccessary for making dummy rounds..unless you screw it up when you remove the bullet and need to resize the neck of the case, when you re-seat the bullet.

anyone?

make sure to draw a ring around the bullet at the case, so that you know how far to re-seat it.

be very careful when you fire your primer...make sure the round is chambered and the weapon is locked and ready to fire

you may want to buy some one or 2 simple tools that will help you remove the bullet and re-seat it....alot cheaper than having someone make them.

just my 2 cents

Tower, I honestly can say that I don't know the first thing about how to go about doing what you suggested. I just don't have any knowledge about how to reload my own ammo. I've flipped through the one book I found in the store about it once and came to the conclusion that it was a subject that I couldn't learn from a book and would have to learn from someone who could show me how to do it hands on.

Skwash, its actually pretty fun! I use a progressive reloader..it takes all the fun out of it..but its always nice to sit around in the evenings and have a cup of coffee, relax a bit and reload. I'll definitely have it set up when I get home...(its been in storage for awhile.) and since. you're not far..I'll give you a holler, if time permits...and invite you over!