Beretta M9 or New G17 FDE ?

It's true that Berettas do not play well in sand, but newsflash.... neither does any other semi auto handgun. It's that nature of the beast. If you carry a Beretta in the desert then come back to the US and buy a Glock you cannot compare the two, well, unless you live in Arizona maybe. The bottom line is in the environment we live in both are extremely reliable.

That said I do not believe the military will keep the Beretta around for another 25 years. It was a fantastic replacement for the 1911, but times are changing. I also do not think it will be replaced by a striker fired handgun. My personal belief is that it will be replaced by a handgun based, at least in part, on the Metal Storm technology.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that Berettas do not play well in sand, but newsflash.... neither does any other semi auto handgun. It's that nature of the beast. If you carry a Beretta in the desert then come back to the US and buy a Glock you cannot compare the two, well, unless you live in Arizona maybe. The bottom line is in the environment we live in both are extremely reliable.

That said I do not believe the military will keep the Beretta around for another 25 years. It was a fantastic replacement for the 1911, but times are changing. I also do not think it will be replaced by a striker fired handgun. My personal belief is that it will be replaced by a handgun based, at least in part, on the Metal Storm technology.

Actually my Glocks seem to do quite well in the sand,wet sand that is and yes sand can be found in TN. I dont just throw my guns in a safe and take pictures of them time to time I run them very hard and am somewhat abusive with some, I find it extremely interesting to see what certain weapons can handle over others. I train, not paper punch so on hot days like those in the last week or so I get extremely hot,in between drills I jump in the river where I have my range built and whatever handgun is on my hip goes in with me its nothing but a sand bottom and after rolling around cooling off for a bit I hop out and immediately go back to running drills and my Glocks have functioned above and beyond soaking wet and full of grit and sand,I cannot say the same for my HK USP Tac or my $1,800 HK MARK23. I would run a Beretta side by side with my Glocks but I sold them all after I realized they were extremely finicky with ammo(Atleast my 96 Inox was),and I honestly dont know anyone else personally who owns one,much less someone who would let me run it through some muck.

While I will agree with you that semi auto handguns dont play well in sand, there are definitely those that play better than others.

Edited by ~48_South~
Guest Lester Weevils

I occasionally shoot at the range but have never used a pistol for war. For range shooting or generally admiring a well-made mechanism, the 92 is more aesthetically pleasing than a Glock. The 92 doesn't fail on me at the range and unless I have to crawl around in TN mud a whole bunch then I don't expect the 92 to be unusually prone to failure. I ain't going to the sandbox and it will be surprising if I happen to travel more than a couple hundred miles from home any time before I croak. If I have to crawl around in the mud for very long then I would get a heart attack and croak anyway. :)

My Glock 17 ain't as much fun to shoot as the 92. I hardly take the g17 to the range. If the sh*t happened to hit the f*n, am more comfortable with the 92 and the odds of my incompetent amateur butt accidentally firing the 92 while fumbling around in a panic, are lower than the odds of my accidentally firing the g17 in panic and confusion. Different strokes and all that. If people in the USA only bought pistols for making war then they wouldn't buy many pistols, because there ain't a bunch of war in the USA. From what some folks report, if a feller desires an "unkillable" pistol then maybe he should buy a hi-point?

Actually my Glocks seem to do quite well in the sand,wet sand that is and yes sand can be found in TN. I dont just throw my guns in a safe and take pictures of them time to time I run them very hard and am somewhat abusive with some, I find it extremely interesting to see what certain weapons can handle over others. I train, not paper punch so on hot days like those in the last week or so I get extremely hot,in between drills I jump in the river where I have my range built and whatever handgun is on my hip goes in with me its nothing but a sand bottom and after rolling around cooling off for a bit I hop out and immediately go back to running drills and my Glocks have functioned above and beyond soaking wet and full of grit and sand,I cannot say the same for my HK USP Tac or my $1,800 HK MARK23. I would run a Beretta side by side with my Glocks but I sold them all after I realized they were extremely finicky with ammo(Atleast my 96 Inox was),and I honestly dont know anyone else personally who owns one,much less someone who would let me run it through some muck.

While I will agree with you that semi auto handguns dont play well in sand, there are definitely those that play better than others.

Hmmm... Cannot say that I ever do any wallerin around with my Beretta, and I have never paid $1,800 for a gun, so I guess you got me there. I did have a shoot off with a friend of mine at the Natchez Trace range a couple of months ago. My 92fs and his G19 until one malfunctioned. We shot round for round and ended up going thru all 1200 rounds without either one malfunctioning.

I am not saying anything bad about the Glock. They are fine weapons. I am just saying it's a matter of personal choice. That's all.

I "professionally" carried a 92 for quite a few years and then ended up carrying a Glock 17 to earn a paycheck for more than a few years. I have owned at least a dozen 17s and owned 3 92s. I can make either "sing" with regards to trigger or function. My choice would be 17 if you want a very durable and reliable 9mm. The Beretta works just fine but if I want to pick one of the two to save my butt I would pick the Glock. Either gun will likely work, but I trust the Glock over the Beretta.

Call me old school, but I'd rather have a Browning Hi Power than a Glock or a Beretta any day. But between the Glock and the Beretta, I'd go Glock. It's lighter and easier to carry than the Beretta. The M9 is a big pistol for the caliber. Too big for a CCW.

The M9 is a big pistol for the caliber. Too big for a CCW.

I love my 92fs, but fully agree. It's a hoss of a weapon and way to big for daily carry IMO. I much prefer to carry my PX4 Subcompact. It's slightly larger than a G26, but also has more capacity as it is 13+1.