George Zimmerman's Donations Spike on His Return to Jail

This may stir up a hornet's nest; but i cant help thinking about it a bit.

The big question that i have in all this is why would the State of Florida go so far out of it's way to thrash a man like George Zimmerman? I understand the problems with the "lying and hiding assets"; but the rest of this thing looks bizarre to me (...based on the evidence we know about...). Why in the world is the State of Florida going so far out of it's way to charge George Zimmerman and drag him through the court system on a murder charge? It appears to me like this whole thing smacks of post civil war reconstruction politics.

Is the black and nutty anti-gun and anti "shoot the thug" vote so important in florida that this is an attempt to asuage their indignation and buy their support; or are the state politicos so arrogant that they think that they can kick around most anyone they want to with impunity?

I would love to hear from some of our brother and sister opiners who understand florida politics. I believe this one is purely political. It aint about "justice for trayvon" or justice for the citizens of the state of florida; its about something else. I would love to hear what some of our folks with ties to florida think that "something else" is.

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

She may have lied, difficult to say really...if she truly lied then the charge is appropriate (the fact that sitting Presidents don't do jail time for perjury notwithstanding).

It could also be she never considered "donations" coming in through a website as something she/he would have considered "their money" in terms of assets for purposes of getting a bond approved. I certainly don't consider the Zimmerman's as people of means just because people are donating toe their legal expenses - whether the charges are justified or not, the legal expenses are going to be huge which is what the donations are for; it's not like they are pocketing the donations and taking vacations with the money.

Anyway; since the time this "state prosecutor" got involved this mess has smelled like"Duke Lacrosse Team 2" and it still smells that way now. I fully expect that when all the dust has settled, the only people in jail will be those who went after the Zimmerman.

• Like 1

The big question that i have in all this is why would the State of Florida go so far out of it's way to thrash a man like George Zimmerman? I understand the problems with the "lying and hiding assets"; but the rest of this thing looks bizarre to me (...based on the evidence we know about...). Why in the world is the State of Florida going so far out of it's way to charge George Zimmerman and drag him through the court system on a murder charge? It appears to me like this whole thing smacks of post civil war reconstruction politics.

leroy

Well, the governor is a carpet bagger.

She may have lied, difficult to say really...if she truly lied then the charge is appropriate (the fact that sitting Presidents don't do jail time for perjury notwithstanding).

It could also be she never considered "donations" coming in through a website as something she/he would have considered "their money" in terms of assets for purposes of getting a bond approved. I certainly don't consider the Zimmerman's as people of means just because people are donating toe their legal expenses - whether the charges are justified or not, the legal expenses are going to be huge which is what the donations are for; it's not like they are pocketing the donations and taking vacations with the money.

Anyway; since the time this "state prosecutor" got involved this mess has smelled like"Duke Lacrosse Team 2" and it still smells that way now. I fully expect that when all the dust has settled, the only people in jail will be those who went after the Zimmerman.

The state prosecutor is evil. I think that's why Dershowitz is doing his best to slap the taste out of her mouth.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Her talking in code in the jail house conversation will be what hangs her. It shows she had knowledge of the funds and was trying to hide them. His attorneys have pretty much admitted to that.

If they want to charge her with perjury; that’s fine. But I don’t think they should have revoked his bond. He is not a flight risk, but credible threats have been made on his life by hate groups. Keeping him in jail is reckless and unnecessary.

The big question that i have in all this is why would the State of Florida go so far out of it's way to thrash a man like George Zimmerman? I understand the problems with the "lying and hiding assets"; but the rest of this thing looks bizarre to me (...based on the evidence we know about...). Why in the world is the State of Florida going so far out of it's way to charge George Zimmerman and drag him through the court system on a murder charge?

They are putting him on trial because he shot a kid to death that it appears was only reacting to a situation Zimmerman sat in motion. If Zimmerman can justify his actions that’s fine, but he’s going to need to do it in front of a jury.

I haven’t lived in Florida in a long time and haven’t kept up on their laws, and I am not a politician with political aspirations; but if I were the DA I would charge him. It only appears that they are “Going after him†because they have to make up for the first DA not doing his job.

• Like 2
They are putting him on trial because he shot a kid to death that it appears was only reacting to a situation Zimmerman sat in motion. If Zimmerman can justify his actions that’s fine, but he’s going to need to do it in front of a jury.

I haven’t lived in Florida in a long time and haven’t kept up on their laws, and I am not a politician with political aspirations; but if I were the DA I would charge him. It only appears that they are “Going after him†because they have to make up for the first DA not doing his job.

Dave, did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? ;)

• Like 2

Dave: I'll grant all you said in post #55 except the charge of second degree murder charge; which, in fairness to you; ya didnt mention. I lifted this definition of the florida law from the nro blog:

"The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. "

I'm havin a little bit of a problem understanding exactly what zimmerman did that warrants him fitting into the definition above. Did he exhibit a "depraved mind"? I'll buy the "...without premeditated design....".

I still think this one smells bad. Would still like to hear from some floridians.

leroy

Dave: I'll grant all you said in post #55 except the charge of second degree murder charge; which, in fairness to you; ya didnt mention. I lifted this definition of the florida law from the nro blog:

"The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. "

I'm havin a little bit of a problem understanding exactly what zimmerman did that warrants him fitting into the definition above. Did he exhibit a "depraved mind"? I'll buy the "...without premeditated design....".

I still think this one smells bad. Would still like to hear from some floridians.

leroy

We don't know all the evidence the prosecution has. On the surface it would look like manslaughter, but for all we know Zimmerman could have made a comment days before to an associate the he's gonna shoot the next punk he catches. Something like that would put him in the Murder 2 category. The follow up investigation was surely more in depth than the first; who knows what kind of evidence it turned up. Either that or they did what they often do which is trump up the charge, which I agree isn't right.

I'm a reformed Floridian who used to live a quarter mile from where this happened. From conversations with my father who is an LEO working out of Sanford, the opinions of him and his colleagues is that this guy is that Zimmerman committed manslaughter. That is independent of all the media lies and Al and Jesse involvement. They have no love for either amongst that community.

Edited by TMF 18B
  • Like 1

Is the black and nutty anti-gun and anti "shoot the thug" vote so important in florida that this is an attempt to asuage their indignation and buy their support; or are the state politicos so arrogant that they think that they can kick around most anyone they want to with impunity?

I would love to hear from some of our brother and sister opiners who understand florida politics. I believe this one is purely political. It aint about "justice for trayvon" or justice for the citizens of the state of florida; its about something else. I would love to hear what some of our folks with ties to florida think that "something else" is.

leroy

Because he killed a 17 year old unarmed kid and that's what society wants....just the way it is!

• Like 1

If he was "broke" he could get free defense...just saying....

• Like 2

I'm curious about the mechanics of granting or not granting bail. I suppose it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but I always thought, apparently incorrectly, that setting bail was a decision based principally on the risk of the accused fleeing the jurisdiction with consideration also given to the seriousness of the charges. I thought that the "ability" of the person to come with the bond would be a minor consideration if it was considered at all.

Even if a judge is going to consider the financial status of the accused in setting the bail amount it just doesn't seem correct to me to include donations to the accused's defense fund as part of his assets...those funds are needed to pay for his defense; not his bail.

I understand that part of the problem is that the Zimmermans were allegedly "hiding" the assets...I also know that perjury is perjury and if his wife actually lied she can be charged. At the same time, it certainly wasn't a secret that there were getting donations through the website set up for that purpose (and its existence/purpose was widely reported) - were I in Zimmerman's shoes and facing all this and I was asked about my financial assets, I doubt I'd consider donations coming in or hoped for as part of my "assets" either. I guess I'd be wrong.

Of course, this whole thing is, in my opinion, a witch hunt perpetrated by a bunch of gutless politicians to placate a group of racists which makes all this collateral damage all the more distasteful.

• Like 4

It looks like they are trying to ride the line between keeping the liberals happy and keeping the conservatives happy, all while keeping their votes. If anything they should be voted out for trying to play both sides, since they obviously can't make an honest decision.

• Like 2

I was very un-aware that bail had anything at all to do with how much money you have. I thought it more to do with the crime you commited and your past criminal history. Well, good luck "Z".....You are apparently a liar...as an "Honorable" Judge has "fixed your wagon"....and your wife is next!!!

Dave

(931)802-2138

• Like 3

You don't want a free laywer on a case like this. The high powered guy is gonna have his hands full.

Point is...if our boy wasn't geting all this money, and was "broke"...his lawyer would be free! The court should take all his money, put it in a trust fund for his 1.5 million civil suit that Tryvon's parents are gonna file. Are you still sleeping?

Dave

• Like 2

Point is...if our boy wasn't geting all this money, and was "broke"...his lawyer would be free! The court should take all his money, put it in a trust fund for his 1.5 million civil suit that Tryvon's parents are gonna file. Are you still sleeping?

Dave

The point is; I don't believe the court has that authority (nor should it) to confiscate Zimmerman's money and I'm a little surprised that anyone would suggest that; especially on a forum where people tend to be pretty supportive of things like "due process" and "private property".

There is this concept called "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" and last I heard, we are long way from Zimmerman being found guilty of anything. Unless or until he is found guilty, his money is his damn money, not anyone else's. Perhaps just as important, money donated to Zimmerman's defense should be used for Zimmerman's defense (or refunded to those who donated the money if it isn't used for his defense); not used to enrich Travon's family.

And as far as the civil suit you allude to, for a civil suite to be successful in Florida (just like in Tennessee) Zimmerman would have to be found guilty of this ridiculous murder charge (shooting ruled not justified) for a suit to be successful. I think that paying the PowerBall is probably better odds than Zimmerman being found guilty of murder.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

Dave

Crump is smarter than that. Zimmerman doesn't have any money. What he gets will go to his defense, and probably be in debt when he's done. Not saying they aren't out for a payday. Just not gonna get it from the broke guy.

In the state of Florida, as well as almost anywhere else, he can be found NOT GUILTY of 2nd Degree murder, and still be judged against in civil court for damages for wrongful death. It happens all the time.

If you want my personal take on this? Z needs to stay locked up! I think too many people sided with Z because he has an HCP!!! What if it were the other way around?

What if Z was black and Martin was white...what would your take be then? I'm not making this a race issue, but too many of ya'll think "Z" is a cool breeze for killing this kid. What if Trayvon had cracked open Z's head like a walnut, killed him, then told the cops he was in fear of his life. Would ya'll still hold your opinions as you do now, that "Z" is the victim here?

Everyone has tunnel vision here! I mean for God's sakes, this kid was minding his own business, walking home from the store...now he's dead by the actions of another! Those facts cannot be overlooked!

• Like 2
Guest Gwith40

The only one with tunnel vision on this case is Angela Nifong...I mean Corey. All the evidence we have seen thus far supports Zimmermans version of events. Martin tried to be a tough guy and it cost him his life. From everything I have seen, this case is a political persecution, intended to appease a certain minority group in the area. Nothing more, nothing less. Well....okay, the more part being money.

As far as making false statements goes, I think the prosecution and all those involved with the Martin family would have to get the award for that. Somehow, none of them get charged. Don't forget all the false narratives that attorney Crump and crew put forth in the beginning of this case. Unfortunately, they cannot help themselves, they are still doing it. http://legalinsurrec...l-overreaching/

Edited by Gwith40
Guest Gwith40

As far as civil suits go, yes, I imagine there will be a few. There are probably a lot of folks sweating in Florida right now, and it isn't because of the sun. If Zimmerman is not convicted in the kangaroo court down there, a lot of folks will be civilly liable. Just to name a few: Numerous media outlets, for knowingly providing false information to the public and defaming character. (I believe that can be proven.) In media reports, Zimmerman is and has been frequently referred to as "murderer", not alleged murderer. The Martin family, for knowingly lying about events surrounding the case. The Martin family attornies, Crump especially. The state of Florida, for civil rights violations.

Guest Gwith40

If you have a few minutes, read the following link. It is an excellent synopsis of all the interwoven connections that came together to form the media narrative in this case. Very powerful elements in the State of Florida came together to create this narrative. Sort of reminds me of Chicago in the Al Capone days.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2012/06/13/you-think-all-these-people-are-just-going-to-stop-not-likely/#more-41859