20 MOA bases?

DaveTN

I want to switch my Remington VLS 308 over to a Picatinny rail.

I’m using a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X40 LR. I wonder if I need the 20 MOA base? The longest I’ve shot it so far is 300 yards, but I will get the opportunity to shoot 1K. If I use the 20 will I still be able to dial in 100 yards?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would not think so, i am thinking most VX-III are 1" tubes and do not have the adjustment range. i thinking you will need at least 80 MOA in the scope. but your dope will tell you the answer to your question.

With most guns zeroing at 100 yards will be an issue without a lot of down travel.

I know I put a 20 moa base on my savage and my scope bottomed out about 2-3 feet above the target at 100 yards.

I too though I needed one but for 90% of the shooters out there they do not need or can use the extra moa.

Inside of 600 yards you should not need a moa base even with the crappiest scopes.

Dolomite

who zero's at 100 yards? i am curious on that. on gaming guns a 50 yard zero is mostly used beause it is still good zero at 200. when i deered hunted my zero was 2.5 -3" high at 100. and as a rule most any gun with a spitzer type bullet will stay in the kill zone on deer sized game out to about 300 yards +/-. so more or less if i could see it i could kill it.

i use a 200 yard zero on my 1000 yard gun,

with a 100 yard zero you could easily miss at 175 i would think, if not the whole deer but kill zone for sure.

even for L.E. i do not now why they would want that.

just me.

The specs on the leupold site say it's a 30mm tube with a 90 MOA adjustment range. That's a lot. Your scope will handle a 20 MOA riser with no problem. Looks like you're going to need it too at 1000.

I zero my long range rifle at 100. Doesn't matter, since it gets dialed in to whatever range I'm shooting.

Just note that most manufactures offer custom bases such as 0, 10, 20, 30, 45MOA cants. Just go look on Brownells.

I would think that if your scope is already zeroed at 100 then you can count how many clicks are available in elevation. Then calculate that number into MOA's and use a ballistic calculator to see how many MOA's of elevation you need to shoot something at 1000. To use a ballistics calculator accurately you need to know the fps/weight of your bullets, etc. but even without that information it will get you decently close. If you don't have that many MOAs of elevation then adding a custom base cant will raise your zero that many number of MOA. I hope this helps. 20MOA is the most popular for Remington 700s using the 308 caliber. My custom Rebel Defiance (based of the 700 platform) that is being built will have a 20MOA cant.

Assuming the scope is in the middle of it's range (good assumption with a VXIII), he has 45 MOA to play with. Taking 3 random .308 loads with published muzzle velocities, and a 100 yard zero, here's the sight adjust chart. Note that the scope is already up 4 MOA for the 100 yard zero, which only leaves 41 MOA of adjustment. Also note that factory loads are going to run slower in a barrel shorter than 24", which will require still more elevation. As I said in an earlier post, he's gonna need the riser, even though it's on the edge.

BTW: These traces were run at 80 degrees outside temp.

308Sightadjust.jpg

Guest nowheretobefound

who zero's at 100 yards? i am curious on that. on gaming guns a 50 yard zero is mostly used beause it is still good zero at 200. when i deered hunted my zero was 2.5 -3" high at 100. and as a rule most any gun with a spitzer type bullet will stay in the kill zone on deer sized game out to about 300 yards +/-. so more or less if i could see it i could kill it.

i use a 200 yard zero on my 1000 yard gun,

with a 100 yard zero you could easily miss at 175 i would think, if not the whole deer but kill zone for sure.

even for L.E. i do not now why they would want that.

just me.

This just shows how different requirements and backgrounds influence different shooters. I don't know of anyone that zero's at 50, sometimes on a close combat weapon i.e. M16/M4, AK, Steyr. Most hunters I know who are not tactical shooters also zero at 200, pretty standard. On my rifles I use a 100 zero mainly to be able to dial in for better accuracy at 400 meters and closer. 2 1/2 to 3 inches from POA is not acceptable for me in certain situations.

To the question, you have a scope that has the travel so why not put it on a rail, unless total weight is a factor for you. That way if you do ever want to crank out the MILS (or MOA) you can.

With the mentioned scope you should be good with a 20 moa base. Even if you never need the extra elevation adjustment it will be there and 20 moa bases normally cost the same as a 0 moa.

As the old saying goes "better to have and not need than to need and not have"

Not really a reason to not get the 20 moa base unless your scope will not zero at 100 which is RARE.

Zeroing at 100 gives you a good place to base your scope adjustments off of.

Guest 556or762

I have 20 moa bases on all my rifles even my .22 (I do shoot it farther than most people would 300yds.) I think a 20 moa base on a 700 in .308 is a great investment and you should be able to zero just fine if not go to a 200yd zero and just make a range card for adjusting your scope or "DOPE" , I can say from experience that you should purchase a GOOD base made from steel ot aluminum and make sure the screws are torqued properly with BLUE (not red) lock tight. I have had issues with aluminum bases and under or over torqueing the mounting screws will lead to the base getting loose and possibly pulling the threads out of the action. I have used Nightforce bases which have a machined in recoil lug to take the strain of a heavy scope off of the mounting screws during recoil, I also use leupold and other name brands, my Savage MKII is the only aluminum base I have left by EGW its the only manufacturere I found with a 20 moa base for a 22 and there is not a lot of recoil to deal with.

Thanks for all the information and opinions.

I am not a hunter, just a shooter. I have multiple rifles and multiple optics that I switch around. I am now in the process of trying to make all my rifles a common platform. That platform will be a Picatinny Rail. I know I won’t be able to switch without rezeroing each time, but different bases and rings is a hassle.

I think the 20MOA base would be a better choice for my 308 VLS than the standard base.

This just shows how different requirements and backgrounds influence different shooters. I don't know of anyone that zero's at 50, sometimes on a close combat weapon i.e. M16/M4, AK, Steyr. Most hunters I know who are not tactical shooters also zero at 200, pretty standard. On my rifles I use a 100 zero mainly to be able to dial in for better accuracy at 400 meters and closer. 2 1/2 to 3 inches from POA is not acceptable for me in certain situations.

To the question, you have a scope that has the travel so why not put it on a rail, unless total weight is a factor for you. That way if you do ever want to crank out the MILS (or MOA) you can.

well, that's kinda of what i was trying to say. A 50 yard zero (as a general rule) will = a 200 yard zero, not perfect but you will be within 1-3 inches at 200. most closer to 1-1.5" inches and very easy to dail it in. i do understand that in some situations 2.5 - 3 high at 100 will not work but i was talking only about big game hunting, where most things have a 6-8 inch kill zone. that way i do not have to worry about the range, just aim and shoot. i no longer sight in my hunting rifle like that any more only because i no longer really have a place to try to hunt at 300+ yard range. and if i did my part most deer dropped on the spot.

but like you said more or less it just what you are best at. (the back ground)