Anyone use code words or phrases?

Guest Broomhead

I can't get my wife to take anything like this seriously. She thinks I'm overly paranoid for just wanting the front door locked at all times.

Our wives might be related...

I like that idea. I've read too many stories of a family member shooting a "bad guy" only to find out it was another family member sneaking back in.

My dogs prevent the problem of knowing if someone belongs in my home, before I see them, usually before they get near a door.

• Like 2

I can't get my wife to take anything like this seriously. She thinks I'm overly paranoid for just wanting the front door locked at all times.

Heh, my wife is the exact opposite. She'll lock me out of the house when I'm working in the yard. I have to get my hidden key so I can pee.

My dogs prevent the problem of knowing if someone belongs in my home, before I see them, usually before they get near a door.

Yep. My dog would (and does) go completely bonkers when someone unknown comes in the house. Even after we've told her to hush a dozen times.

Guest Wildogre

The Lady of the house gets a certain look in her eye when things are not right with the world.

Then she barks.

If I had someone living with me I think I would develop something.

I like the idea of a foreign language but something like " contact 3 oClock" might not be a bad idea.

When married I would tell the kids that we would be leaving the park soon by yelling "birds inbound, five minutes". That always seemed to work well.

Heh, my wife is the exact opposite. She'll lock me out of the house when I'm working in the yard. I have to get my hidden key so I can pee.

Yep. My dog would (and does) go completely bonkers when someone unknown comes in the house. Even after we've told her to hush a dozen times.

Dude! If your outside, and go inside to pee, you've got bigger problems than a code word can help. :stunned:

• Like 1

Dude! If your outside, and go inside to pee, you've got bigger problems than a code word can help. :stunned:

unfortunately, don't know about peejman but some people only live on .37 acres & have HOA drones reporting if they overwater the mandatory azaleas near the uniformly white mailboxes ;)

• 1 month later...

Yep. When I tell the lady, "Holy #### get your gun!" she knows what that means. B)

This one is pretty much ours, I guess. The one time we needed it, the actual phrase was "Call 911 and get your .357! Someone is kicking in the door!" I was racking the 12-ga at the time. Burglar fled with no shots fired.

• 5 weeks later...

Never really thought about this. Should have, I guess. My wife and I would probably be thinking the same thing

at about the same time if together. If apart, I doubt a code word would mean much, but the Rubicon would be

crossed and we would communicate it in different words. Ability might be diminished due to our location.

We talk about what we would do, but the probability of being apart would make things cumbersome in most

situations.

I think the original intent was in case you got a funny feeling and the family member present didn't seem to be on the same page. If you aren't sure if the guy selling magazines is legit or not, you may not want to yell "Grab my *deleted* gun so I can shoot this *deleted*" just in case he really is just selling magazines.

Personally I am still trying to train the wife to be able to remember what to do if someone starts kicking in our door. As to a code phrase, I would get the same response as timcar86. If I asked her to get us some Cokes, she would say you aren't supposed to drink Coke or some such nonsense.

Actually . . . we have an upstairs downstairs house, with my office upstairs. When I hear her unlocking the door and coming into the house, I shout the codeword: "Burglar!" . . . The counter-sign is "Burglar!. . . . You may think I've given away the secret counter-sign, but she has a unique and distinctive voice, and I doubt a burglar would announce himself. . . . Just sayin'

Edited by QuietDan
  • 1 year later...
Guest Lowbuster

This is my wife too
Being that we have some medical folks in our family, they sometimes have codes at the hospital, such as code blue etc. I started a code for our house for times you get caught on the toilet and no one restocked and left a backup roll. The code we call out is code white...

Seriously though, codes can help you get out of a crappy situation. :)