Why not OC?

Guest Springfield1911guy

I open carry all the time. I get weird looks sometimes but other people's emotions are not my responsibility.

I OC & CC, and like you I don't worry about other peoples hang ups.

Most importantly is that we do carry. Just do what ever is most comfrontable for you.

Guest ab28

My thoughts on CC, at least at work is, the robber won't walk in with a shotgun. If he does, he is gonna get shot immediately. He has to pull out a gun to rob me. Chances are, he is gonna be slower at it, as thugs use guns as tools of intimidation, not combat tools that need constant practice and skill learning. If he makes a hostile move and I see a weapon, he'll have at least 3 rounds in him before he can get it out.

All I know is when I OC ,the meth heads don't ask me for money at the gas station. when I CC ,they do.

At the gas staion, I always OC now.

If things around here start to get that bad I'll be doing the same. For now we don't have meth heads or other shady characters around the gas station I go to.

Guest ab28

If things around here start to get that bad I'll be doing the same. For now we don't have meth heads or other shady characters around the gas station I go to.

The one I used to work 3rd at did, I'd find crack pipes in the parking lot all the time. I also had crackheads constantly coming in, asking if I wanted to buy random stolen stuff like xbox games and weedeaters. They also asked me for money, and stuff to make pipes.

Edited by ab28

O/C or C/C, I don't think I would try to "out draw" someone who had a gun pulled already whether I could do it in 2 seconds or otherwise. I don't want to be on the nightly news of CNN, CBS, ABC all because I was OCD about OC or CC. If I have my gun pointed at your noggin, I would love to see someone draw their Toad from under their shirt, raise it, and shoot 2-3 shots before "Ol' Slowpoke" (me) can get a shot off...interesting.

• Like 1
Guest ab28

O/C or C/C, I don't think I would try to "out draw" someone who had a gun pulled already whether I could do it in 2 seconds or otherwise. I don't want to be on the nightly news of CNN, CBS, ABC all because I was OCD about OC or CC. If I have my gun pointed at your noggin, I would love to see someone draw their Toad from under their shirt, raise it, and shoot 2-3 shots before "Ol' Slowpoke" (me) can get a shot off...interesting.

I wasn't saying draw on a weapon pointed at me. The robber has to either pull his gun out, or walk into the store carrying a gun. If he walks up to the counter and reaches in his pocket or pants, and I see a gun, he's going to be dead before he can get it out. Also, a momentary distraction can work, as well as hand to hand. He will be close enough for me to do something if I can't get my gun out.

I run 3 miles a day and do an hour of weight training every day, and I also practice martial arts. The chances of a crackhead being able to take me out in a hand to hand fight are slim to none. I also carry a really sharp knife in my pocket, with the sheath clipped to a piece of paracord in the pocket, so I can draw it with one hand.

It's not that I think I'm a badass or anything, I won't trust my life to the whim of a crackhead or tweaker. If they are high, they are not thinking rationally.

It's certain areas around here. Most of them I try to avoid but sometimes you can't. They always have a sad story that doesn't make any sense and a 1 gallon gas can. They are usually covered in tattoos also.

I avoid the Weigel's on Summit Hill DR at all costs.

Guest swordsister

Hmmm. This afternoon I saw, for the first time (maybe I'm not that observant), a 30ish fellow OCing at Barnes and Noble in Knoxville on the Pike. He was sitting in the magazine section right in front of the sports/guns publications. I wanted to stop and talk to him, but I didn't have time. Wanted to know what his experience had been with people noticing and making comments (or, heaven forbid) calling 911.

... I wanted to stop and talk to him, but I didn't have time. Wanted to know what his experience had been with people noticing and making comments (or, heaven forbid) calling 911.

The many folks like you are main reason I hardly ever open carry. Even if all the interactions were positive, I simply don't want them any more than I do the negative ones.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bluecanary25

Dang, ya'll got it wrong. The reason I OC iz cuz I spended lotsa money! I had a safety class that costed money. I paid fer da permit. I bought a gat. Got a holster, real leather dude! Paid some real bucks for it, too.... Think I'm gonna hide dat thang affer all the dough I done put out? Think I wanna git popped while toting in my thunder-roos??? Heck NO!! I wants da hog on my hip, so she knows: I really am happy to see her!!! :)

edit emoticon.

Edited by bluecanary25
Guest ArmaDeFuego

My thoughts when people talk about what they would do in the CC v. OC argument:

Not directed at any one person, just in general.

BRTky.jpg

Hahaha I kinda feel the same way. I know most people who OC arent really like that but its still hard for me to shake this feeling that some of them just want to look like badasses with a gun. Wannabe cops....

Dang, ya'll got it wrong. The reason I OC iz cuz I spended lotsa money! I had a safety class that costed money. I paid fer da permit. I bought a gat. Got a holster, real leather dude! Paid some real bucks for it, too.... Think I'm gonna hide dat thang affer all the dough I done put out? Think I wanna git popped while toting in my thunder-roos??? Heck NO!! I wants da hog on my hip, so she knows: I really am happy to see her!!! :)

edit emoticon.

I hope you got a Hi-Point so you can tell everyone the holster cost more than the gun. :rofl:

Hahaha I kinda feel the same way. I know most people who OC arent really like that but its still hard for me to shake this feeling that some of them just want to look like badasses with a gun. Wannabe cops....

Well I'm directing that at the guys who say well if a bad guy does this (insert thing/@ location), I'm going to do this and this. But yeah...

It's certain areas around here. Most of them I try to avoid but sometimes you can't. They always have a sad story that doesn't make any sense and a 1 gallon gas can. They are usually covered in tattoos also.

I avoid the Weigel's on Summit Hill DR at all costs.

About 9 or 10 years ago, my wife and I were dating and we'd been to see some live music in the old city. It was smoke-filled and I hate smoke so I really wanted some orange juice when we left to make my throat feel better. Probably around midnight on a Friday or Saturday night, I pulled into the Weigals in question to get some juice and when I got back to the car my, then GF, now Wife, asked me if I was crazy and asked me never to leave her in the car at that Weigels again. I told her she was paranoid. The next day on the news we saw there had been a fatal shooting at that Weigels. I still stop in there from time to time if I'm by myself. I wouldn't take my wife or kids there, even during the day. After practicing law for several years I am much more aware of all the, um, interesting transactions that go on all around us. I still wouldn't open carry to deter problems. I just don't like the attention. I'm convinced there are better ways to avoid looking an easy target without the attention of open carrying. Keep your head on a swivel, make eye contact, look like your there to get something done... Just don't carry yourself like you are the kind of person who's going to be intimidated or fall for a line of B.S.

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 2

My thoughts on CC, at least at work is, the robber won't walk in with a shotgun. If he does, he is gonna get shot immediately. He has to pull out a gun to rob me. Chances are, he is gonna be slower at it, as thugs use guns as tools of intimidation, not combat tools that need constant practice and skill learning. If he makes a hostile move and I see a weapon, he'll have at least 3 rounds in him before he can get it out.

That's funny that you would say this, as I just watched a survalience video of an armed robber walking into a gas station, with a "shotgun" already shouldered and pointed at the clerk" when he/she/it walked into the store!