Handgun carry under 21?

Guest freg

I did some checking and was told that you can hunt with a handgun if you meet the following criteria; be 18 or older...

You sure minors can't use handguns, too?

WD is exactly right, MINORS cannot use handguns for hunting:

"Juveniles under the age of eighteen (18) are prohibited from using handguns for the purpose of hunting."

http://www.tn.gov/tw...untweapons.html

(under "Prohibited Acts")

- OS

Guest freg

Fishing with a firearm?

Well you might look a little suspicious if you're hunting with a deep concealed pistol IMO.

Yeah fishing with a firearm, im not wanting to take it out on the lakes or anything like that. I want it for when I do long hikes into the woods and raft rivers by myself. As far as lookings suspicious You're right I would but the purpose of concealing it would be so I wouldnt get hassesled if Im checked for my fishing license. While this isn't a foolproof plan my thought is Im not going to get patted down or anything if Im just fishing, not breaking any laws, and the game warden happens to comes up to me and ask to see my license.

Yeah fishing with a firearm, im not wanting to take it out on the lakes or anything like that. I want it for when I do long hikes into the woods and raft rivers by myself. As far as lookings suspicious You're right I would but the purpose of concealing it would be so I wouldnt get hassesled if Im checked for my fishing license. While this isn't a foolproof plan my thought is Im not going to get patted down or anything if Im just fishing, not breaking any laws, and the game warden happens to comes up to me and ask to see my license.

The problem is that handgun carry without HCP is prohibited on numerous classifications of land you may frequent, a separate matter from the unlawful carry ("going armed") statute.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest freg

The problem is that handgun carry without HCP is prohibited on numerous classifications of land you may frequent, a separate matter from the unlawful carry ("going armed") statute.

- OS

I did some checking and was told that you can hunt with a handgun if you meet the following criteria; be 18 or older, have a valid hunting license, hunter safety course and have the right weapon for the game you "say" you are hunting. Don't say you are "small game" hunting and have a centerfire pistol on you, don't say you are deer hunting with a "rimfire". Most public land doesn't allow possesion of firearms of any kind out side of HCP and/or legal hunting season.

I hope this helps...

Dave

Yeah from what I've read I've gotten the same information as you. So would it be legal for me to carry a centerfire handgun for coyotes since they're open season if I have a hunting license and hunters safety course? I really don't want to break the law but I need means to protect myself.

Yeah from what I've read I've gotten the same information as you. So would it be legal for me to carry a centerfire handgun for coyotes since they're open season if I have a hunting license and hunters safety course? I really don't want to break the law but I need means to protect myself.

Seems to me it would have to stand up in areas open to such when you were there.

But that rules out all state parks most of the time and most state parks all of the time and GSMNP -- don't know what other federal lands, TVA lands, ACOE managed lands, and TN WMA lands hunting rules are regarding open season species.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Be careful which piece of "public land" you are "coyote hunting" on. Some areas (most WMA's, LBL and national refuges) only permit the hunting of coyotes during another legal hunting season and with the weapon legal for the other game.

Read the Tennessee hunting regs and alot of your questions can be answered.

Private land I think you'd be ok. Public land would be a different story.

Dave

Edited by wd-40