New, I mean BRAND new, to 3 gun for me and my 11 year old...advice?

Guest Sproles

Guest Sproles

Hello - I am new (returning) to TN and have an interest in 3-gunning and have an 11 year old son who is quite an excellent shot with the shotgun and handgun.

I am needing some suggestions on where we can truly GET STARTED in the world of 3 Gun. I don't want to walk into some intense competitions and take up people's time where they are serious and I would get in their way. I need a good beginner level, stock (not open) competition to get started.

We live in Murfreesboro and would love to find an event to go and watch, learn and eventually engage in.

Thanks for your help and suggestions-

Sproles

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello - I am new (returning) to TN and have an interest in 3-gunning and have an 11 year old son who is quite an excellent shot with the shotgun and handgun.

I am needing some suggestions on where we can truly GET STARTED in the world of 3 Gun. I don't want to walk into some intense competitions and take up people's time where they are serious and I would get in their way. I need a good beginner level, stock (not open) competition to get started.

We live in Murfreesboro and would love to find an event to go and watch, learn and eventually engage in.

Thanks for your help and suggestions-

Sproles

The divisions are all played together, but scored seperate. Someone there will tell you which division you are in. To get into open division you would have to have guns that give an advantage --- for example my shotgun puts me in open because it holds too many rounds and has a red dot sight instead of a bead.

Our club is super casual (allows any calibers for the guns, for example, though a .22 pistol will NOT work in some stages where the targets are not paper) but is a bit of a drive for you, in cleveland TN. If you wanted to go that far you would be welcome.

The divisions are all played together, but scored seperate. Someone there will tell you which division you are in. To get into open division you would have to have guns that give an advantage --- for example my shotgun puts me in open because it holds too many rounds and has a red dot sight instead of a bead.

Our club is super casual (allows any calibers for the guns, for example, though a .22 pistol will NOT work in some stages where the targets are not paper) but is a bit of a drive for you, in cleveland TN. If you wanted to go that far you would be welcome.

Jonnin, which club are you a member of, and how much is it a year. I have talked to my wife about both of us trying something like this?

Cleveland hunting/rifle/pistol club.

Um I can never remember the price, because it gets mixed in with the NRA dues for me. They require NRA membership & if you want you can pay both at once (the club handles the NRA part for you) so we do it that way. All I can remember is that it is not very expensive at all. I can look it up, but its about as inexpensive a facility as you can ask for.

You can attend 3-gun without being a member (as with other similar events). Membership is required to go there to shoot outside of the sanctioned events.

Do you really want some three-gun advice? Stay away!

It is entirely too much fun and way too easy to spend way too much money on ammo/guns/gear/better guns/more gear/optics/better optics, etc.

Green River Gun Club has a three gun on Sundays occasionally. It is very beginner friendly. It is in Bowling Green, KY. I think the next one is June 10.

Musical City Tactical Shooters also runs matches. They are in Dickson, but I do not think they have another three gun on the schedule?

tomorrow. in ownesboro, Gary is doing a 22rf rifle run and gun. and it is a blast, it is about a 3 hour drive for you but worth it. not mutli gun but you can pick up a lot of real info. and Gary and always been very friendy and willing to share info.

and just a side note, his also the Match Director for this year's 3 Gun Nation Pro/Am at Rockcaslte, like i said real info from some well respected people in the sport. which by the is open to the public to watch, do side matches etc.

ORPCI will host a 22 rim-fire tactical rifle match this Sat (6/2/12). Sign up at 9:00AM and shoot at 10:00AM.

If have not shot one of these with us it is an IPSC style match designed for 22 rim-fire rifles like the Ruger 10-22 and AR style rifles in 22 rim-fire. There will be two divisions Tac Iron and Tac Optic. The IMG scoring rules will be used. The targets are 120 small steel plates. It's good cheap practice for multi gun rifle and loads of fun. Ladies and Juniors shoot free and $10.00 for the rest of us. Come shoot with us.

GW

UPCOMING EVENTS:

The Multi Gun match scheduled for June 30 has been moved to July 7th. The match has been moved due to a conflict with the Rockcastle shotgun match.

Youtube, some 3 gun matches, watch some of Noveske outlaw 3 gun videos.

Practice reloads with your shotguns, no your zero on the rifle, practice reloads with your shotgun, know your patterns for your chokes at dif. distances, practice reloads with your shotgun. And dont forget the most important thing is practice your reloads with your shotguns.

Take it slow, its the shooter and not the equipment that wins, but good/dependable equipment helps. And have fun, your with your son.

Ron

I am going to the three gun tomorrow in Bowling Green KY. It would be like a two hour drive from Murfreesboro, and it is a man vs man double elimination match, but it is going to be fun. green river gun club. Brooks

Edited by broox

at the end of the month there is a 3 day Rockcaslte practical shotgun event. there sould be top tier like MC footer, Cloudy777 etc.guys there were you can check everyones idea of a good racing shotgun. i would think it would be worth the drive.

RWF is correct that Rockcastle will be hosting some of the best shooters in the country at the end of the month. Unfortunately Cloudy and I are in the half that makes the upper half possible.

There will actually be at least 3 Major Matches at Rockcastle this year that will draw in the 3 Gun Pros from all across the country. The Pro-Am in August is definitely worth a drive up from Nashville to visit.

http://www.rockcastleshotgunchampionship.com June

http://www.rock3gun.com August

http://www.brm3g.com October

RWF is correct that Rockcastle will be hosting some of the best shooters in the country at the end of the month. Unfortunately Cloudy and I are in the half that makes the upper half possible.

There will actually be at least 3 Major Matches at Rockcastle this year that will draw in the 3 Gun Pros from all across the country. The Pro-Am in August is definitely worth a drive up from Nashville to visit.

http://www.rockcastl...hampionship.com June

http://www.rock3gun.com August

http://www.brm3g.com October

hmm, I think that is the first time that i can remember, of you telling a tale.

did get the M2 running the 2.75 dram shot great. but i will be using the Versa Max cause it will not be ready for open in time. the only thing my M2 will not run is the flocchi low recoil buck. but the win lite is about as soft and runs.

and it is very true about the Versa Max being a copy of the Benelli M series. with the bolts and carrier next to each other on the outsidelook the same the only difference is the M2 is a 3" and the versa max is a 3.5 and the M2 bolt finish is a nice hard chrome and the Versa Max is just black. i really do believe if you swapped the bolts they would still work but i have to believe the Remington has to be a few thousands bigger or smaller, so it is not a true copy. plus the trigger groups look just alike.

the Versa Max does not have a inertia spring and as i understand it the M4 has 6 rounds gas ports and the Versa Max has 7 oval. kind of sad Remington had to copy some one else to get a good running shotgun out of the box that will run and run anything, but maybe this will get them back on the map.

Guest shootallthree

Best advice I have is find one and go shoot it with the gear you got. You will kick yourself for going to watch one. Also by shooting you will be able to see what works and what doesn't. You may have something in your kit that doesn't need replacing. You will also find that 3 gunners are more than willing to answer any questions you may have about the sport or shooting in general.

Well, we hope to do better than the bottom half but working and shooting them doesn't normally provide the best results.

Call me first when you get ready to sell that M2.

true, working a match really does seem to go against you/anyone. but it will be good to see u. that M2 has been very good to me. no plans to sale. (at this time)