Arrgghhhh!!! 1911 back to Taurus again...

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

About 6 months ago I sent my 1911 in to Taurus because it was stovepipping spent cases and occasionaly completely failing to extract a spent case from the chamber. Long story short they said all that was wrong was that the barrel was cracked, they replaced it and sent it back.

Today was my second range day with the pistol post fixing. It no longer stove pipes spent cases but it is reliably failing to extract spent cases from the chamber. I have put 450 rounds through it, 250 today, four different manufacturers and used three different manafucturer's magazines. Some fired better than others, but every combo failed at least three times, same issue of not extracting spent cases.

Me thinks the extractor needs replacing. I had heard, maybe on here, than early runs of this gun had this issue...maybe mine is a throw back?

If this pistol was not so dang accurate I would get rid of it tomorrow, but it shoots better than I can shoot it so I can't let myself part with it. I'll be calling Taurus tomorrow and suppose my 1911 will be taking a summer trip to Miami... This sucks.

Joe

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A loose fitting firing pin stop and extractors can cause problems with cycling. The biggest indicator to a improperly clocked extractor is random FTE's. Because the extractor can be in the correct position for one shot then not for the next it can seem random. This random cycling can drive some people mad. Another big indicator is the same FTE issues with differnt ammo.

If you are local to Knoxville maybe we can meet at Norris or some other place to shoot. I will pull my Ed Brown parts out and swap them into your gun to see if that corrects your issue.

And rather than send it back to Taurus you could buy the Ed Brown extractor and an Ed Brown firing pin stop. This will fix most cycling issues with a 1911. Then after that the other thing that might be causing issues is the recoil spring and that is a $6 part.

The extractor and firing pin stop are likely cheaper than the shipping to Taurus unless they are covering the shipping costs.

http://www.brownells...FIRING-PIN-STOP

http://www.brownells...MATCH-EXTRACTOR

And just to know how strongly I feel about these parts I consider it mandatory to replace these parts on every 1911 I have owned in the last 5 years. Even if the gun is cycling fine I still swap these parts in to prevent issues. Because they are made by the same maker this ensures they fit together properly and make sure the extractor is correctly clocked.

If you do decide to replace the parts yourself make sure they are by the same maker otherwise they may not fit together well and will only lead to the same results.

Dolomite

A loose fitting firing pin stop and extractors can cause problems with cycling. The biggest indicator to a improperly clocked extractor is random FTE's. Because the extractor can be in the correct position for one shot then not for the next it can seem random. This random cycling can drive some people mad. Another big indicator is the same FTE issues with differnt ammo.

If you are local to Knoxville maybe we can meet at Norris or some other place to shoot. I will pull my Ed Brown parts out and swap them into your gun to see if that corrects your issue.

And rather than send it back to Taurus you could buy the Ed Brown extractor and an Ed Brown firing pin stop. This will fix most cycling issues with a 1911. Then after that the other thing that might be causing issues is the recoil spring and that is a $6 part.

The extractor and firing pin stop are likely cheaper than the shipping to Taurus unless they are covering the shipping costs.

And just to know how strongly I feel about these parts I consider it mandatory to replace these parts on every 1911 I have owned in the last 5 years. Even if the gun is cycling fine I still swap these parts in to prevent issues. Because they are made by the same maker this ensures they fit together properly and make sure the extractor is correctly clocked.

If you do decide to replace the parts yourself make sure they are by the same maker otherwise they may not fit together well and will only lead to the same results.

Dolomite

I had Tim Calhoun replace my extractor and firing pin stop with Ed Brown parts. I ordered the Hardcore extractor instead of the Match. The stop was actually allowing the extractor to clock a little, so he hand fit an oversized stop. Not sure if it was enough to impact reliability, but I wanted perfect function. Just an FYI. Could have been the way the slide was cut.

Guest USMC 2013

Dolomite

Dolomite,

You're the freaking man! Next time I'm in Knoxville the beer is on me. I had a trusted local gunsmith replace the parts you suggested and my guns runs like a champ now! He also replaced the firing pin spring, I belive that was the part he said, because it had the wrong part from the factory. I put my "new" 1911 through a semi-torture test yesterday and it ran every type of ammo, fed from multiple magazines flawlessly.

It's nice having the 1911 I bought 18 months ago finally shoot the way I knew it would. Thanks for the replies and help to everyone else too. Semper Fi,

Joe

Great reading this thread, the Taurus 1911 is one of their better pistol's and a great value for the money spent. It's nice when someone post's comment's of problem's with a pistol and folk's offer workable solution's.

Guest bulluck533

I'm not a big fan of them either. I have a friends who had a taurus slim and even after 500 rounds it jams ever 10 shots or so. Has sent it back twice. Never seems to be reliable.

I personally wouldnt own one.