Memphis places to see, eat

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I'm going to downtown Memphis for a week to work and wondered where any one from Memphis would recommend going to see or eat.

Thanks,

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmoe816

Although Memphis is known for it's BBQ, you can't miss Gus's friend chicken on Front street. Its an easy walk from Beale St. I think the best BBQ joints are not downtown, but Rendezvous is a popular tourist spot with decent ribs. If you're willing to venture out, my favorites are Central BBQ, Corkey's, and Germantown Commisary (but it would be quite a drive from Downtown).

As far as stuff to do, you may be able to check out a Redbirds game. They aren't doing very well this year but the stadium is beautiful and its a good time. The Orpheum theater has a summer movie series that is pretty cool, and you can check out free summer concerts at the Levitt Shell.

Good luck!

Guest db99wj

Rendezvous dry ribs are good. If you have never had dry ribs, try them. If you like regular ribs, get a half and half. Wednesday night is bike night on Beale Street if you are into that kind of thing. They allow the bikes to roll down beale. I second the Redbird Game. They are a lot of fun. If you like music, there should be some good music playing on Beale and around downtown on any given night. Gus's chicken is really good. Flying Fish on 105 South Second is good, they have great fish tacos. Huey's burgers, steak sandwich is good.

Careful on Beale. At night, I believe every night, they have check points going onto Beale Street. They will run you through a metal detector. No weapons are allowed. They close off Beale to through traffic and it has a special festival zoning that goes into affect so they can do it.

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj

Texas De Brazil if you like meat. Also eat a nice salad while you are there to help push all of that meat thru your guts.

That place is awesome. Their lobster bisque is phenomenal. Little salad, little soup, and a lot of meat. Don't waste your time with veggies/potato's etc. Eat meat.

Guest jmoe816

That place is awesome. Their lobster bisque is phenomenal. Little salad, little soup, and a lot of meat. Don't waste your time with veggies/potato's etc. Eat meat.

Oh the lobster bisque. I'm going to be thinking about that all day now.

Guest db99wj

I forget about the BBQ shop. Also there is a hole in the wall, go during the day place called, Cozy Corner BBQ. It is on 745 N. Parkway, near downtown. Can't say that is any good, I have been told it is one of the best. Our office is actually going tomorrow (Friday), so I will report back.

Also, go by Tops BBQ on Union and Claybrook, near the Methodist Hospital. Get a burger....yes I'm serious. Good ole fried burger with crinkle fries.

The BBQ shop is good too.

Rendezvous dry ribs are good.
:up: I had three full racks last time I was there! 2 for dinner and one for dessert.

Other than that... Memphis is usually best viewed in the rear-view mirror for the most part. Be very careful walking around downtown, especially if you have a lady or kids with you.

Also, go by Tops BBQ on Union and Claybrook, near the Methodist Hospital. Get a burger....yes I'm serious. Good ole fried burger with crinkle fries.

I grew up eating burgers from that location. When I go back down therr I usually stop by to get one...or two. :)

• Moderators
I forget about the BBQ shop. Also there is a hole in the wall, go during the day place called, Cozy Corner BBQ. It is on 745 N. Parkway, near downtown. Can't say that is any good, I have been told it is one of the best. Our office is actually going tomorrow (Friday), so I will report back.

The BBQ shop is good too.

Cozy Corner is great, get a Cornish hen. No, seriously, do it, you won't regret it.

To the OP; Gotta get Gus' too. Another little spot that is excellent is Alannah's Breakfast Kafe' on N. Main between Jefferson and Adams. Really good, soul food influenced southern cookin for more than just breakfast. Speaking of soul food, if you are feeling adventurous enough to brave the ghetto, hit up the Sack n Save on S. Third st. Some of the best soul food I have had in this city. I'm talking about slap yo mama good. If one night you just feel like grabbing a pizza, go to the Memphis Pizza Cafe on Madison in midtown for their crispy thin crusted pies of yum. If you want catfish head over to Soul Fish on Cooper and just down the street is one of my favorite places to grab a beer or a burger, The Young Avenue Deli.

All of the places I have mentioned do not post for firearms either.

I agree with the Rendezvous crowd. First time I ever had dry ribs - now I don't like them any other way. Plus, the whole Rendezvous experience is unique. I've only been once, but if I ever make it back to Memphis, I'm going back.

And whether or not you were an Elvis fan, Graceland is worth checking out.

Guest canebreaker

What part of memphis will you be staying and working?

Texas roadhouse in Horn Lake. Boiling Point in Southaven. The Half Shell in east memphis.

Guest db99wj

I could eat at Memphis Pizza Cafe several times a week. Just can't afford to eat out that much and not on my fitness plan! Damn their pizzas are good!

Chuck, My boss was just talking about the Cornish Hens.

Guest db99wj

Boss was paying so I didn't go crazy. First the pork sandwich is sliced......don't like. The meat/fat ratio was good. I got the hot. The sauce made me sweat, but the heat didn't last long, which is great and you could still taste the flavor of the meat, which wasn't bad. I like the texture of pulled or even chopped more than sliced. Slaw...was ok. Beans were good. Unsweet tea had a bbq flavor to it, seriously. The banana pudding was average. My boss got the Hen, said it was really good. Saw the ribs go by, they looked good. Buddy of mine got the beef sandwich, he said it was pretty good as well, tasted like it was grilled some as well. I wouldn't make a special trip down there from out east, but if I was in the area, I would eat there again so that I could try the hen and ribs. I really don't like the texture of the sliced.

If you have a sweet tooth, the Cheesecake Corner off Main and GE Patterson (behind Arcade) is some of the best cheesecake I've ever had. He makes 20-30 different flavors every day. One slice could count as a meal.

Guest Eaglestroker

I strongly recommend Central BBQ for both dry/wet ribs, and sandwhiches. I am not a personal fan of Rendezous but it is a place you need to go a few times. Commissary also has my vote for ribs, if you visit the original Corkys on Poplar I recommend an onion loaf as an appetizer.

Another place downtown on the bluffs, not far from Beale, that I'm fond of is the Spaghetti Warehouse. There are a lot of place on/around Beale and I strongly recommend going to Dyers burgers to enjoy the 100+ year old grease they fry them in :)

I grew up eating burgers from that location. When I go back down therr I usually stop by to get one...or two. :)

I second the burgers at Tops!

Central BBQ is one of my favs and Leonard's BBQ has a great lunch buffet....