Local FFL to ship gun for background check?

JohnC

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do that yourself?

- OS

Directly off the TN.gov site....

If you buy or ship merchandise to your Tennessee address and sales tax is not added to the price, then you are responsible for paying the use tax directly to the Department of Revenue.

Edited by JohnC

What new law?

- OS

We've always had law for us to pay sales tax on out of state sales, but I think it was some new language in SB 0529 or a subsquint bill thereafter that sealed the deal? I can't remember specifically though. Google is your friend and correct me if I'm wrong on that. :)

Edit: but TN tax law still requires you to pay the use tax regardless..... ;)

Correct. It has been ever thus. Same for individuals as for a business with sales and use cert that buys tax free for personal use.

Only thing that has changed in all the years that I know of is that music/books downloads are the .0250 rate as opposed to the full rate for tangible goods.

They'll get my tax money when they wise up and invest the effort to enforce it with online vendors like other states have done.

- OS

They'll get my tax money when they wise up and invest the effort to enforce it with online vendors like other states have done.

- OS

It's not quite that simple. Why should an out of state online vendor be forced to comply with another state's (such as TN) arcane sales tax laws and bear the burden (actual time and material cost) of collecting that state's tax when they have no physical presence in the state? TN has made significant efforts to try and get out of state vendors to collect sales tax when they can prove an out of state business has a presence in the state. Some states have taken some rediculous and aggressive positions and have probably cost their state more in the long run than they will ever gain on a net basis....but try to convince a politician or government bureaucrat of that.

It's not quite that simple. Why should an out of state online vendor be forced to comply with another state's (such as TN) arcane sales tax laws and bear the burden (actual time and material cost) of collecting that state's tax when they have no physical presence in the state?

Because we don’t have a state income tax. As internet sales increase the state (our state) is losing part of its tax base. Do you think they will say “Oh well†and throw up their hands about the lost revenue? No, they will increase property tax, sales tax, or implement a state income tax. If the state can find a way to force internet retailers to collect state sales tax; more power to them.