Love-Hate Relationship

Has anyone ever had a pistol that you like but not love,but hate the thought of getting rid of it.I have this with my Springer RO,I cant sell it for enough to make it worth while,and trading at a LGS is just ludicrous,they might give $400.00 which is a real loss.Its a great shooting pistol,but there are a few things I don't really cherish,parkerized finish being one.Whats a person to do?Alas whoa is me I probably will just have to keep it.Its accurate and totally reliable,will feed anything,but there is just something stopping me from really loving it.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it sums up the problem nicely when you say that you cannot get out of it what you want so you just keep it. I have had a few like that. Its not even love-hate, its just better to keep a working gun than to let it go for peanuts.

Has anyone ever had a pistol that you like but not love,but hate the thought of getting rid of it.I have this with my Springer RO,I cant sell it for enough to make it worth while,and trading at a LGS is just ludicrous,they might give $400.00 which is a real loss.Its a great shooting pistol,but there are a few things I don't really cherish,parkerized finish being one.Whats a person to do?Alas whoa is me I probably will just have to keep it.Its accurate and totally reliable,will feed anything,but there is just something stopping me from really loving it.

I am in the same boat with mine, and have decided to make a project gun out of it. Nothing too crazy, but will probably k-kote it and install some xs night sights.

Yep, same thing here. Have a series 70 Colt Combat Commander. I had trijicon sights and Colt put an extended grip safety on, but still not ringing my bell. Just sits in the safe. Been thinking about selling it.......but then again not since I've had it forever. Think I would shoot a Sig 1911 a lot more than this gun.

I'm in kind of the same boat with my GP100. I bought it off a buddy of mine when he needed some quick cash and even though it's a great gun I just can't seem to love it. The two things that make me keep it are my buddy always asking if I like it, and the fact that he never shot it. I got a screaming deal on basically a brand new revolver.

I guess I'll just keep it laying around until I figure out how to make it more appealing to me.

Maybe the hogue grip?

At the moment I'll say no because over the year's I've parted with a lot of safe queen's, some of which I should have kept, which is another story. As for TrickyNicky's GP100, that revolver is a sleeper that a trigger job and better set of grip's turn's into a performance gun.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm real slow on deciding to buy and rarely buy someting til I'm sure I want it, and also hardly ever sell anything. Some not wanting to admit I might have made a bad decision. Also it seems that the surest way to BADLY need an X next week or month, is to discard or sell an X today.

If I decide I don't like something I get a bad attitude on it and get to thinking nobody else would like the gadget either, and be reluctant to push off a sucky item on somebody else. But that is somewhat psychological because just because I can't shoot a particular gun doesn't mean nobody in the world would like it or be able to shoot it either.

Don't like folks to get "stung" because I may seem to have misrepresented a gadget. If I sell something thinking it is in good working order then a week later it falls apart on the new owner then I would feel obligated to "make it right" and I don't have time to fool with "making it right" so its easier not to sell gadgets.

There is one pocket pistol have had for a decade or so. It is a very pretty and very reliable little gun that is borderline-painful to shoot and have never learned to shoot it accurate. But that pistol is a handsome little thang and would rather keep it than sell even though its useless to me. Maybe that is like if you happen to have a girlfriend who is real good looking but she is a b*tch who gets on yer nerves to be around. On one hand it would be better to run her off, but on the other hand she does look hot... :)

Edited by Lester Weevils

In order to understand how much or how little you "love" something, let it go. Then you will either do anything to get it back or to get another one.

I've had quite a few pistols go through my hands over the years. I always said once I get a Kimber I'd keep it forever. Well, I've had 3 Kimbers and I've turned around and sold them all. The only pistol I can truely say I love and that I won't get rid of has been my 9mm Glocks. I've always had a G19 and a G26. I let my origional 3rd gen G26 go when I bought my gen 4 but have no regrets since it's basically the same gun. I've let so many "keepers" and "safe queens" go over the years it's silly but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to purchase my "next love" or the one after that or the one after that......

No dealer will give you enough for a gun. You're better off trading or selling privately.

Not entirely true, but yes, as a whole you are right.

There was a time when a certain young gentleman worked for the Reloaders Bench. He no longer works there for reasons unbeknownst to me. I sold several guns there, through him and was given a very fair price for all of them. Of course I took store credit and left with arm loads of reloading supplies, but I left happy.

I'm certain there are others out there. Obviously no one will pay retail. Everything depreciates in some way, with a few precious exceptions.

I guess I sort of have a love-hate relationship with my S&W 19-4, I absolutely love how the gun shoots & feels in my hand but it being a 4" K-frame it makes it difficult to conceal carry, which forces me either to dress like a slob or stash it in my truck's center console instead of wearing it.

Granted I do own & carry j-frame sized revolvers but I really love my 19, it's just a shame open carrying is such a hassle (MWG calls, etc) because I'd really like to have my 19 hanging on my belt 24/7

Guest Big-A

The S&W 19 is one of the finest shooting pistol's S&W ever produced . But you are right concealing one can be a problem. My friend has a factory tuned S&W 19 and it shoots like a dream. I cant see how you could not be in love with that gun if i could afford another gun i would love to own a S&W 19

Edited by Big-A

I'm not sure if it is love/hate or some kind of hoarding thing. Although I also hate to get stung too and that is why I prefer to trade. Then each of us can way the value of the trade goods with our own internal banking system.

I traded off a minty 1992 2d Gen Glock 19 for a S&W 2206 Target the other day. Glock guys think I am crazy, but I have wanted a decent 2206 for few years and luck would have it that the 2206 owner wanted a 2nd Gen G19. My other two G19s get shot a lot, the 2nd Gen not so much.

Then there are the .22 rifles I have accumulated, all of which I dearly enjoy. However, now that I have owned a Primary Weapon Systems T3 receiver mated to good 10/22 components I may start moving the "old" .22s "down the road."

My 87 yr old shooting partner says that some guns can have a soul. I reconcile that with the notion that my soulful guns can have a home with someone else. He calls me fickle. I call it pragmatic. I have one friend who has enough 1911s, battle rifles and shotguns to outfit an entire infantry platoon for a 3-gun match, literally.

Hate will eat you up. Fortunately, there is an approved firearms recycling disposal center across the street from my home. I can give you coordinates & hours of operation. Ya know just to make you feel better yeah.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Not entirely true, but yes, as a whole you are right.

There was a time when a certain young gentleman worked for the Reloaders Bench. He no longer works there for reasons unbeknownst to me. I sold several guns there, through him and was given a very fair price for all of them. Of course I took store credit and left with arm loads of reloading supplies, but I left happy.

I'm certain there are others out there. Obviously no one will pay retail. Everything depreciates in some way, with a few precious exceptions.

They may give you what you need for a short notice impulse buy but NO dealer is going to give you what a private sale will. If you find a dealer that will,he won't be in business long.