Going to buy first handgun...

zmtd8

I love it.

But would have preferred to buy American made if all else were pretty close spec-wise.

- OS

How is the recoil? I have only ever held one, never had the chance to shoot it..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the recoil? I have only ever held one, never had the chance to shoot it..

XD subbie is really built, nothing to it. Matter of fact the slide is slightly beefier than the full sized models. You can run a couple hundred through it at the range, won't feel any diff than full size XD of same caliber. Barrel and grip length are the only major diffs.

Actually, the little Kahr has amazingly little recoil for such a small puppy. That's one reason it has commandeered such a high price compared to nasty little snappers like KelTec 9's, even .380's like LCP and etc. I suppose the CM9 is similar, for less, now that they have that model out.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Actually, the little Kahr has amazingly little recoil for such a small puppy. That's one reason it has commandeered such a high price compared to nasty little snappers like KelTec 9's, even .380's like LCP and etc. I suppose the CM9 is similar, for less, now that they have that model out.

I really love my CM9, carry it probably 60% of the time, the other 40% is split between my Glock 26 and my PPQ.

If the 9mm Shield had been out then, I might not own a Kahr, as the Kahr is only a scootch smaller.

Yea, I just bought my MK40 a little less than a year ago; it is my only non-S&W handgun. When I saw S&W was releasing new gun I figured it might be a micro 40. Of course it was and it costs a lot less than the Kahr.

I don’t pocket carry, so the Shield might fit the application of the Kahr for me. As soon as I run across one at a fair price; I’ll have one.

After seeing your D.M. Bullard I wanted one. I was on their site looking for one for the Kahr. They didn’t have one in stock for it, but they had one for the M&P compact, so I got it. I have way too much money in holsters.

Edited by DaveTN

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

I really like this one..

No sense carrying with the mag extension, though. Same as full sized model. Butt is hardest part of gun to conceal well.

'Course, XD and XDm subbies do same: 13+1 and accept long sleeved mags of 16+1.

XD 9 subbies are sort of sleight of hand, how they get 13 rounds in there in the short flush mags.. Glock 26 is only 10 by comparison.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

So theoretically I could use the mag extension at the range and the smaller one when carrying..

Yup.

Though I carry a long mag as backup when I carry my XD, I find I shoot almost entirely at the range with the short mags, since that would be what I'd have in there if push came to shove in real world.

- OS

So theoretically I could use the mag extension at the range and the smaller one when carrying..

At the range or at home yes, but you are giving up barrel length, not real important carrying or at the range, but you said you go shooting a lot. These are not target or competition guns. The full size are.

At the range or at home yes, but you are giving up barrel length, not real important carrying or at the range, but you said you go shooting a lot. These are not target or competition guns. The full size are.

I'm a poor enough shot that I don't see helluva diff in 3",4", or 5" XD till I get past 10 yards. :)

- OS

You get two magazines. One flush and one with the pinky extension. Both holding 12 rounds. The Talo picture above is a full size magazine (holds 17) that has a sleeve over it. I had the full size M&P 40 since late 2007, now hunting for a 9C or the Sheild.

You get two magazines. One flush and one with the pinky extension. Both holding 12 rounds. The Talo picture above is a full size magazine (holds 17) that has a sleeve over it. I had the full size M&P 40 since late 2007, now hunting for a 9C or the Sheild.

Surely you can buy the 17 rounders w/sleeve separately, though, right?

- OS

I have a m&p 40c and love it I use it for both range and carrying ,Thay will all shoot about the same not mutch diff at a target at 20 to 30 yards , even a compact can shoot jest as well and can be used for target also. My m&p 40c has about 3,200 rounds down the pipe and shoots jest as good as the day I bought it . even has interchangeable back straps so you can fit the gun to your hand. It can be used as target and carry with no problems. Jest like glocks and emp 40 or kimbers or so many other good guns out there jest because it has a short barrel does not make it a non target or competition gun.do your resurch and find one you like the way it feels the way you want it to shoot what are you looking for in a safety and what type that makes you comfortable and even how you would like for it to look, it all boils down to is that you like it and it is what you want in a firearm Hope this helps Edited by ted

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my first handgun, but I don't want to rush out and buy the first thing I can afford. So I thought I would get some advice from you all. What am I looking for? Well I want something that I can put a relatively high amount of rounds through often, since me and my friends go shooting all the time. Plus I want something that I can use as a PDW since I plan on getting my conceal carry permit also. I realize that it is a gun and that if you shoot a normal person with anything it is going to hurt them, but I want something with real stopping power. My favorites are the 1911 and the Springfield Xd or XDM's. These can be kind of pricey though. Or would a 9mm do just a good of job? I am not a big fan of Glocks, I shot the Glock 40 once and it was nice and light, but this caused way to much recoil. I realize I probably asked a bunch of stupid questions, but I don't want to invest in something that is unreliable and I apologize if you all have been asked this question a thousand times, but any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler

There are inexpensive 1911s that work great at the range and are reliable and good for self defense. Someone probably already said rock island. The ruger 1911 is not terribly high priced either. However if you are willing to break away from the tradational 1911, you can find some with higher capacity (para, for example), smaller sizes, and so on that are better to haul around. The tradational 1911 with 8 shots & massive frame is not the only choice. The 1911 trigger and mild recoil are awesome. The weight and size, for carry, are managable but way, way to big for me (and many others say the same).

9mm will stop (or kill) a person. That is really what it was designed for. A 9mm +P (defense ammo, hot loads) is close to a 357 in a short barreled revolver, and the 357 and 9mm have both been considered to be excellent defense calibers for a long time. The 45 may be slight better --- it does make a bigger hole --- but the gun is going to be bigger and hold fewer rounds.

So, basically, you need to look at the tradeoffs between gun size/weight, recoil, capacity, and caliber. You also should understand the huge difference between the feel of a 1911 trigger and the XD trigger, if that matters to you.

If you like the XD/ XDM, those are fine guns.

There are other choices, by the way. The 357 sig is hotter than 9mm, and the .40 is both bigger around and more powerful than the 9mm as well. You can still stuff quite a few rounds into a carry gun (13/15 compared to 9mm in typical guns). These will have more recoil than either a 9mm or a .45 but you asked for big. The 10mm is uncommon and you are limited in gun choices but they are closer to a 44 mag and are extremely powerful rounds (its a 40 diameter but much much more powerful). These cost more per box of ammo, esp 10mm.

J-frames are one of my favorite carry pieces, granted capacity isnt all that great but I tend to shoot j-frames better than I do small framed semi-autos so I generally carry j-frames in warmer weather when I cant conceal larger framed semi-autos