College Student drunk, wanders into wrong house

She was luckier than The Japanese student in Lousiana back in the '90s

He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not even drunk.

Homeowners aquitted of murder charges, but lost a civil suit.

http://en.wikipedia....shihiro_Hattori

That was a very different case. Peairs should have been convicted, not acquitted. The case referenced in the OP, I don't see much similarity or any reason he would even be charged.

She was luckier than The Japanese student in Lousiana back in the '90s

He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not even drunk.

Homeowners aquitted of murder charges, but lost a civil suit.

http://en.wikipedia....shihiro_Hattori

That was a very different case. Peairs should have been convicted, not acquitted. The case referenced in the OP, I don't see much similarity or any reason he would even be charged.

Not trying to compare legalities, as much as pointing out how quickly, and how badly things go wrong for all parties involved, although nothing will prevent a civil lawsuit from being filed by the girl (as stupid as that sounds, and that she obviously is).

Edited by R_Bert

Yeah, I'm going back this fall, majoring in Chemistry with a double minor in Physics and Math.

That’s good. At some point in your life you may have money and start collecting things of value. Then you will see that your “I don’t have anything to take†attitude will change. It’s easy to be a minimalist when you are a college student; for most it’s mandatory. :)

Guest ab28

That’s good. At some point in your life you may have money and start collecting things of value. Then you will see that your “I don’t have anything to take†attitude will change. It’s easy to be a minimalist when you are a college student; for most it’s mandatory. :)

Been one my whole life, prefer the freedom of owning barely anything. I don't see the need to start collecting stuff, there isn't really much to me that has value, it is just stuff. To me, a 40K car is the same as a 1K beater I drive, I could care less. I can't really think of anything I would buy, honestly. If I had a lot of money, I would probably use it to hike long trails and travel all the time, not buy stuff. I don't wear jewelry, or care about it, I only need a couple guns, clothing, I just wear fast wicking practical stuff that dries easily, so I have no need for a dryer. I look at every single thing I own and ask what I can do to not need it. I go on hikes, and ask what I can leave behind. I hang my laundry off a long piece of 550 cord in my room, it is my tent ridgeline, I clip it to the desk, and the other end to my pack, and dry my clothes. I love the freedom of simplicity. I made about 17 an hour at Nissan for awhile, with overtime at 22 an hour, 60+ hour weeks. I'm still driving the same beater with 240K miles I bought in 2006. I'd never consider a new car a good deal, it is such a ripoff.

There are plenty of families that practice minimalism, not everyone is consumer driven. The irony of this is I am about to start modeling, to sell people crap in commercials and magazines that I don't use or want. It doesn't have to be a sacrifice, things like using one towel per person, having a microfiber one that dries fast, simple things like that. I shave with a beard trimmer without a guard, because I burn through razors, and it can get expensive. Things like that are things to think about, constantly wondering how you can live more simply and with less.

I tend to replace stuff with skills as much as possible. I trim my nails with a pocketknife, so I don't need clippers. I don't collect knives, because with a diamond rod, I can make one out of a piece of metal if I need to. I have a couple, that is all I need.

Technology helps a lot with this. I don't need to own photo albums because I can store it on my computer. I don't need to own books or a bookcase, because I have a kindle, millions of books at my fingertips. Same with music, all of it on an MP3 player, no need for a stereo or any of that.

Edited by ab28

This is a prime example of why being drunk to the point that you are unaware of your actions is dangerous. I know many do this, and I see it often, but that's never me. Not judging, just saying actions have consequences so you better have control of your actions.

• Like 1
Guest ab28

My limit is a couple beers now, even when I drank a lot more, I never did it to the point of being unaware of actions. That is rightly pointed out as stupid.

Reminds me of something some friends and I did early in college... Another friend was a very annoying drunk. He got loud and belligerent, but thankfully not violent. After one particular saturday night of drinking, we decided to teach him a lesson.

We were taking him home at about 4am and dropped him off a couple doors down from his parents' house. He was completely hammered, stumbled out of the car, took a few steps and paused, realizing he wasn't sure where he was. We took off and left him to figure it out.

We were hungry and headed to the nearest Waffle House. After eating and sobering up a tad, we felt a little guilty and went back to find him. The sun was just coming up and we found him passed out in his next door neighbors yard. The thought of his parents' neighbors coming out in their robe to get their Sunday paper and finding him passed out in the yard, covered with dew was too good to pass up, so we left him here.

He never told us what happened, but he also never got hammered again. After reading the OP... I'm glad he didn't get shot.

"It is also unfortunate that we see a lot of incidents in Boulder where people become so intoxicated that they illegally trespass into another's residence"

She keeps doing that, she is going to make someone's day for sure. Or night.

Yep, dumb + drunk = bad things.

This is why I love always being sober. I am ALWAYS aware of what I am doing.

This is a prime example of why being drunk to the point that you are unaware of your actions is dangerous. I know many do this, and I see it often, but that's never me. Not judging, just saying actions have consequences so you better have control of your actions.

Guest ab28

How did she get in the house if they had good locks on the doors? I can't imagine a drunk person getting through a properly secured door without making a ton of noise. A full length deadbolt with 3 inch screws in the 2x4 doorframe should defeat most people.

After reading it again, apparently only the screen door was closed. So, it was stupid for her to get that drunk, but it was a failure on the homeowner's part for not properly securing their residence.

Edited by ab28