New Range Toy Mossberg MVP Bolt

DaveTN

I was looking for a .223 bolt that didn’t do as much damage to my wallet as my .308 at the range.

When I saw a .223 bolt that took AR mags, I just had to give it a try.

Looks to be pretty well made. The bolt is really tight, but they say it will loosen up. The scope is a cheapie I had laying around. I will add something else after I see how this shoots.

MossbergMVP003web.jpg

MossbergMVP004web.jpg

Very nice looking rifle. If I had a complaint, it'd be the magazine. It would look leaps and bounds better with a 20 rnd Pmag. The 30 round looks a little long in the tooth. Be awesome for the bench though. Get a really high rest with on a low table and then use a 100 beta C magazine! I bet that would affect accuracy as the weight would torque the stock.

Sweet, you gotta do a range report for sure.

If I had a complaint, it'd be the magazine. It would look leaps and bounds better with a 20 rnd Pmag. The 30 round looks a little long in the tooth.

It came with a 10 round; I’ll probably get some more of those for bench shooting.

I sure do wish my Remington 700 VLS would take a mag. But Jesus, they want $345 for a magazine conversion and $80 a piece for 10 round mags.

Edited by DaveTN

It came with a 10 round; I’ll probably get some more of those for bench shooting.

I sure do wish my Remington 700 VLS would take a mag. But Jesus, they want $345 for a magazine conversion and $80 a piece for 10 round mags.

Ouch, that's ridiculous. 10 ain't bad, but I bet a 20 rnd Pmag would look just right. Kind of like the Ruger 308 that just came out.

It looks like it could be a real shooter. I like the AR mag thing too. Hope you try some higher end ammo in it. What's the twist rate?

Mossbergs website says 1/9. That's a good twist that'll let you try almost everything. My CZ is 1/9 and it shoots a 50g about as good as a 75g.

Dave you gotta spring for a box or two of Hornady TAP [unless you handload] My CZ does very well with it. The Amax is awesome.

YEAH!, that Black Hills will make her sing.

I hate the idea of buying factory ammo, but $35/(50) ain't bad considering. Especially if it shoots tight.

Dave, that (20) doesn't look too bad. If you were close, I'd loan you one for mine for a while. Black 20 rnd Pmags are cheap though. It'll look perfect IMHO. It ain't like an AR. A couple of 20 rounders will last a long time, shooting in a bolt action.

Again, Range report when you get time. I'm looking at it on their website. I have to say, I like it a lot. Good looking rifle.

What kind of glass is that? Looks like a Simmons???

Edited by Caster

I'm anxious to hear a range report. Really like the idea of this rifle.

Me too.

I am curious how the bolt will hold up, as I understand it there is a little lever that comes down as you are closing the bolt to feed the new round from the magazine?

If it is reliable, it would be a bolt action other than a milsurp I could see myself owning.

I want a picatinny rail for a scope mount (for this and my 700 VLS) but it doesn’t appear anyone is making one yet. I contacted EGW and they were quick to respond, telling me that they thought the screw pattern was the same as the Mossberg ATR, if I would send them the measurements they would check. When I sent it to them they said it wasn’t even close and they would have to get a drawing from Mossberg.

I emailed Mossberg last Monday and ask them about a picatinny base that would fit, but they have not replied.

I’m also going to need a Bipod.

I think this would be a heckuva .223 backup weapon for SHTF purposes too, except lack of iron sights rather rules that out as one.

Easy fix. A BUIS will go right on the rear ring mount. Front sight can be mounted by using a slip on type.

A few little mods and this could be an excellent SHTF rifle.

Add the sights, shorten the barrel a touch, thread it for a suppressor and the thing would ROCK!!!

What is the street price on these?

I priced them at the show and they were asking beyond what I would call reasonable. The dealer added a few hundred to the MSRP. But he said he would throw in a high capacity magazine. ;)

Dolomite

This goes on a lot and it's stupid. I saw a Keltec KSG at a 'boro show for $2500. Not only would I never pay that, but that guys table gets passed over by me next time around. I know right, big deal, but it IS a big deal if enough people feel this way. It's yours you can sell it for whatever you like, but just outright screwing people because it's new is stupid.

Interesting concept, I own a lot of bolt action rifles but I don't own any bolt action rifles chambered for 5.56, so if I ever decided that I needed one I'd probably have a hard time deciding between either the Mossberg MVP (simply because it uses AR magazines) or another Remington 700 (which is my prefered bolt gun platform).

I am looking forward to reading some range reports that is for sure.