Arabic mandatory at New York City public school

My schools only offered one language. You're gonna be hard pressed to find a significant percentage of elementary schools that offer foreign languages, let alone a choice of many. We had Spanish or Spanish. That includes high school.

I tell you what, when my wife is forced to wear a burkah or hijab I'll be the first to use my considerable skills for regime change.

It won't be your wife.

It'll be you Grand Daughter or Great Grand Daughter and you will likely be long past.

and there won't be anyone left with your skills or the tools needed.

Glenn

Guest 6.8 AR

My schools only offered one language. You're gonna be hard pressed to find a significant percentage of elementary schools that offer foreign languages, let alone a choice of many. We had Spanish or Spanish. That includes high school.

I tell you what, when my wife is forced to wear a burkah or hijab I'll be the first to use my considerable skills for regime change.

You're closer than you think.

It won't be your wife.

It'll be your Grand Daughter or Great Grand Daughter and you will likely be long past.

And if there's an actual conflict, the opposition force will be the majority Hispanic Catholic part of the population, with blacks and whites just chipping in.

- OS

And if there's an actual conflict, the opposition force will be the majority Hispanic Catholic part of the population, with blacks and whites just chipping in.

- OS

Maybe this will trip up some of the liberals if it ever comes around.
Guest 6.8 AR

Clarksville High School, in the late 60's-early 70's offered Spanish, French and Latin. They

were all electives. I graduated in 1972. Sometimes I wish I had taken French and/or Spanish,

but the Latin was good, anyway.

It should probably be the same now.

And, it should probably be that we have a standard language, like English, as a standard.

Commercial aviation does, and science does, also. I think most other things like arabic, farsi,

or whatever should be left up to elective studies, and be in college level language majors.

The rest is just playing games with our tax dollars.

Our public school systems are strained by all the Barbara Streisand being mandated by the

Dept of Education.

"not because we care about children, not because we have a great public school for every child...NEA and it's affiliates are effective because we have POWER, and we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing (forced) to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them."

"...closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality are ok... but they need not and must not be achieved at the expense of due process, employee rights and collective bargaining - that's simply TOO high a price to pay" (closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality - those are the things that are simply TOO high a price as opposed to collective bargaining) e.g. screw the kids as long as you get a good contract.

What happened to the three R's? O' for the days of the one room school house.

Edited by mcurrier