Arabic mandatory at New York City public school

Guest bkelm18

So because a group of extremists committed a terrorist act in NYC, no shred of Islam should ever take place in NYC? 1st Amendment anyone? And it's not even about Islam. It's a language.

Edited by bkelm18

A foreign language I would agree, but this particular foreign language in this particular city...I'm not down with that. Muslims routinely build mosques on conquered ground. They see it as a symbol of victory. This is just more of their not so subtly shoving 9/11 and the new world order of islam in our faces.

Islam has no monopoly on Arabic and vice versa. There are millions of Jews and Christians across the Arab world that know Arabic as a first language.

I would be more inclined to believe that a bunch of pissed off Saudis don't get to affect the languages my child is exposed to. In fact, I would want them to educate themselves on why folks would perpetrate such an act in the name of their religion. I did. I read Islam for Dummies before I deployed to Iraq the first time. I am a quarter done with the Quran. When some down time again I'll pick up my Nook and finish it. Just because a group of pissed off fundamentalists are ignorant doesn't mean I have to be. Besides, my understanding of Islam helped me to better hunt down some very bad people.

Edited by TMF 18B

So because a group of extremists committed a terrorist act in NYC, no shred of Islam should ever take place in NYC? 1st Amendment anyone? And it's not even about Islam. It's a language.

And 90%+ of the people that use that language are members of the religion of 'peace'.

Edited by mcurrier

"Mohamed Mamdouh, who teaches the pilot program, said, “Soon, Arabic will be a global language like French and Spanish."

Not in his lifetime.

Edit: I'm sure there are more Arabic speaking children learning English as a foreign language than there are English speakers learning Arabic. Besides in 10 years 99.99% of these kids aren't going to remember more than a word or five... maybe a phrase or counting to 20.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest bkelm18

"Mohamed Mamdouh, who teaches the pilot program, said, “Soon, Arabic will be a global language like French and Spanish."

Not in his lifetime.

Arabic is the 6th most spoken native language on Earth. French is 11th.

If I had to choose a 2nd language today, it would be French. After English, it's the only language spoken on every continent by those in power. A person fluent in English and French can go anywhere and be understood. A person fluent in Arabic will be understood to be a person fluent in Arabic, with all the assumptions that come with that distinction.

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

Foreign language shouldn't be mandatory, anyway. Our federal school system would be well advised to get back to basics

and leave the PC crap out of education. I took three years of Latin in high school, but it was an elective. If a school is going

to mandate anything, it should be English, math and science. Something to build on. A little American History would be helpful,

also.

Foreign language is great for those who wish to learn it. Too many can't even speak English, nowadays.

Foreign language shouldn't be mandatory, anyway. Our federal school system would be well advised to get back to basics

and leave the PC crap out of education. I took three years of Latin in high school, but it was an elective. If a school is going

to mandate anything, it should be English, math and science. Something to build on. A little American History would be helpful,

also.

Foreign language is great for those who wish to learn it. Too many can't even speak English, nowadays.

I agree with you there. I took four years of Latin myself and hated it, but I had to take a language. Too many students lack science and math skills. If anything we need more engineers now, not Medieval Literature studies majors. Nothing wrong with pursuing what you like though.
Guest 6.8 AR

Pursuing what you like is great, as long as it isn't mandatory. I just wish I could convince my "engineer" to come home. :D

You're right. We need more of them around.

Pursuing what you like is great, as long as it isn't mandatory. I just wish I could convince my "engineer" to come home. :D

You're right. We need more of them around.

And that is a valid opinion on disagreeing with it being mandatory, but most schools with language programs are mandatory. I had to do it in elementary and high school. Even had to take a semester of Band against my will. However, the fact that this school chose Arabic doesn't mean they're trying to convert our kids to Islam. The administration just wanted their names up in lights... for prestige or more funding. It's what schools do.

Guest 6.8 AR

I only had to take Latin because my mom made all three of us sons. We were subjected to the same

silliness. I learned to love the Latin classes after high school. it actually helped me with english

and language. Not that I show it nowadays, but I did get value out of it.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest 6.8 AR

And that is a valid opinion on disagreeing with it being mandatory, but most schools with language programs are mandatory. I had to do it in elementary and high school. Even had to take a semester of Band against my will. However, the fact that this school chose Arabic doesn't mean they're trying to convert our kids to Islam. The administration just wanted their names up in lights... for prestige or more funding. It's what schools do.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it does have political implications, plus the money thing. One more reason

the Dept of Education needs to be abolished.

And that is a valid opinion on disagreeing with it being mandatory, but most schools with language programs are mandatory.

Yes, but the student/parent usually gets to choose which language.

However, the fact that this school chose Arabic doesn't mean they're trying to convert our kids to Islam.

Nor does it mean that they aren't. Are you familiar with how pervasive islam/muslims are in England? Do you know how that happened? It is now affecting their culture, their customs and their law. And I am absolutely sure that when it got moving along pretty well many years ago that there were people who said that it's nothing to worry about, no big deal, stop being paranoid, etc. However, they openly declare their intentions of slow infiltration of every fabric of society and simply conquer countries by proliferation these days. The practice of political correctness and multiculturalism is destroying this country.

http://brie-hoffman.hubpages.com/hub/Muslim-World-how-muslims-will-take-over-the-world-via-population-growth

http://papundits.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/no-go-zones-for-brits-proliferate-as-muslims-conquer-london/

Yes, but the student/parent usually gets to choose which language.

My schools only offered one language. You're gonna be hard pressed to find a significant percentage of elementary schools that offer foreign languages, let alone a choice of many. We had Spanish or Spanish. That includes high school.

Nor does it mean that they aren't. Are you familiar with how pervasive islam/muslims are in England? Do you know how that happened? It is now affecting their culture, their customs and their law. And I am absolutely sure that when it got moving along pretty well many years ago that there were people who said that it's nothing to worry about, no big deal, stop being paranoid, etc. However, they openly declare their intentions of slow infiltration of every fabric of society and simply conquer countries by proliferation these days. The practice of political correctness and multiculturalism is destroying this country.

http://brie-hoffman.hubpages.com/hub/Muslim-World-how-muslims-will-take-over-the-world-via-population-growth

http://papundits.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/no-go-zones-for-brits-proliferate-as-muslims-conquer-london/

I tell you what, when my wife is forced to wear a burkah or hijab I'll be the first to use my considerable skills for regime change.

I tell you what, when my wife is forced to wear a burkah or hijab I'll be the first to use my considerable skills for regime change.

It won't be your wife.

It'll be your Grand Daughter or Great Grand Daughter and you will likely be long past.

Edited by BrasilNuts