FL re-size to Lube or not

For those who FL re-size new brass (Ones I am doing are 308 got me to think this question),

Do you LUBE your cases?

Or better question if the brass runs fine in the size die with no lube should you lube it anyways?

Thoughts?

I know What I do but I am willing to learn if I am wrong.

Edited by JeffsSig

OH YES.

Absolutely lube it. Especially with a .308 series base.

I have yanked the rim off of several with insufficient lube. Even with a extractor tool, they are a PITA to get out of the die.

I use this, and run them wet - http://www.midwayusa...-lube-8-oz-pump

Here is what I use to get stuck cases out in worst scenarios -

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136542/redding-stuck-case-remover

B.

Edited by R_Bert

Even with NEW brass?

I just ran 500 with no lube and wasn't able to tell a difference with lube or not.

Maybe Im lucky.

yeah, It will just take but one to train you. Get a shaving, bit of dust, off center, hair or thread, about anything can jam it.

That rim will yank off a lot easier that you expect. Lube them. Takes a moment, saves hours to days of repair.

The frankfort stuff can be put on finger damp, wipes right off and a bottle will last for several years. Pull a patch through the die once in a while.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Most likely it is because the new brass was a bit undersize compared to fired brass. I know most Winchester brass I buy new is way eaiser to size than fired brass. Also make sure you trim them. They are never trimmed to length and some are even WAY over the max length.

For CHEAP lube make your own. Get 100% pure lanolin and at least 91% rubbing alcohol., the higher the better. Then mix the two in a 8:1 or 10:1 ratio with the alcohol being the bigger and the lanolin being the smaller. I will heat a pot of water on the stove until it is too hot to keep your hand in it. I remove it from heat and let it set for a few minutes to equalize. I then set the lanolin and alcohol in the hot water with the caps loosened. I leave them for about 15 minutes in order to heat up. It makes the lanolin more liquid like and helps it disolve in the alcohol. I put 1/2 the alcohol in the spray bottle then add all the lanolin. Then I pour the remaining alcohol in the spray bottle. I thing cap it off and shake vigorously for a few minutes until it is mixed well. It should not seperate even after cooling. I have some that has been mixed for a few years now and it is still mixed.

And all you do to use it is spray it on the cases and let is sit long enough for the alcohol to evaporate. The higher the % of alcohol the quicker it evaporates.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Ok lube it is on the next ones. I just thought Id see what was thought on NEW brass Im not asking about fired brass.

And yes I have had many stuck ones. But not with new brass.

Edited by JeffsSig

new brass, old brass, i all ways lube. i use the old school lube pad and old school lube. a little bit goes a long way. i roll them on the pad and run them in a fl sizer die. i like fl sizing on my rifle cases.

if thats the brass you got from me it still had the dry lube from lake city on it as i didnt clean it

Yes it was David. But I had cleaned it before I sized it. Plus drilled some.

Im on 750 now and zero problems.

Thanks David.