New Gen4 G21

TN-popo

I love Glocks, but I've never been crazy about the G21...too big for my taste.

Well, I was recently fooling around with the Gen4 21 and, without any backstraps installed, it felt pretty good. Since I haven't heard of any of the issues with the Gen4 .45s that I've been hearing about with the Gen4 9mms, I bought one.

Yesterday I got a chance to run 200 rounds through it and "I dig."

No malfunctions, plenty accurate, and a lot less recoil/muzzle flip than the G22 and G23. The grip texture will keep me from having to do a stipple job on it.

Ammo used was Blazer 230gr FMJ, Lawman 230gr FMJ, and Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP.

The only thing I've added was a set of Ameriglo nightsights.

My favorite Glock is still the G19, but this Gen4 G21 is a close second and definitely a keeper.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 21SF is the same size as the Gen4 21 without backstraps (which I'll never use).

I do like the grip texture of the Gen4 better, though.

A friend has a 21SF and my next test is to shoot them side by side and see how much difference the two recoil systems make.

Guest Victor9er

Yeah, the gen4's standard grip is slightly smaller than the gen3's grips. If you add the medium backstrap to the gen4 then you get pretty much the same size grip as the gen3.

And the "issues" that the gen4's were having were with the new recoil spring assemblies. The 9mm's and also the G22's were having some problems initally, but that was back when the gen4's first came out. All of those issues have been resolved now, they've updated the recoil springs in all of those models. I have both a G19 and a G22, both are gen4's and I haven't had any issues with either. I have the updated recoil springs in both of them, the G22 I just recently bought back in August I think.

Congrats on the new G21. I bought a Gen 4 G17 earlier in the year, and it's my all time favorite Glock. It fits my hand better than any Glock I've ever owned. I've not had a minutes trouble with mine. I know some folks had some trouble with the early models, but I think they've ironed out most of the issues now.

And the "issues" that the gen4's were having were with the new recoil spring assemblies. The 9mm's and also the G22's were having some problems initally, but that was back when the gen4's first came out. All of those issues have been resolved now, they've updated the recoil springs in all of those models.

You forgot about the ejectors and extractors too.

Glock has already acknowledged and updated the ejectors...so, no it wasn't just about the recoil assemblies.

The 21SF is the perfect full size .45. It's just a fraction different than the regular 21, but it is a huge difference in just the right spot. I've not tried a Gen4; not crazy about backstraps.

You probably won't use the backstraps anyway. I have a gen 4 G23, and the backstraps are in the box. I like the smaller girp on the Gen 4s (with no backstrap).

I have the Gen4 Glock 21sf and without the backstrap fits my hand for the first time. All previous 21's had to big of a circumference for my shorter fingers.

Gun shoots great and I lean toward the 185g bullet at about 1000fps. I also like higher magazine capacity with the addition of a rail light. Good house/farm gun to accompany my Rem. 870.

Guest Grout

Handguns are funny,they fit everybody different.I have a Gen 2 21,when the SF came out I tried it out at the gunstore and could tell only a tiny bit of difference in the size,not enough to justify buying a new gun,if the Gen 4 has the same grip size(sans backstraps) as the SF I'll pass on it as well

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to do a "side x side" between a G21SF and a G21Gen4. My goal was to see how much the Gen4 recoil system reduced felt recoil over the traditional set-up.

Ammunition used was Blazer 230gr FMJ.

Anyway, yes I did notice a difference. Not huge by any means, but for me it was a pleasant benefit.

Recoil is a subjective thing and some probably wouldn't even notice the difference. I wouldn't have if I hadn't shot the pistols one after the other.

If I had a G21SF that I was happy with, I'd definately stick with it.

I didn't and I was also wanting the more aggressive grip texture and new mag release. So, the G21Gen4 was a win for me.

Good comments guys. Been thinking about a G21 to add to the Glock family at home and this kinda reinforces my desire to check them out more closely. Initially I didn't want anthing larger than my G30, and am still rather partial to it, but the thought of a Gen4 21 or a 21SF as a house gun is very appealing to me.

Edited by hipower