Registering or titleing an RV in TN

I just purchased a used pop-up style camper and I need to know how to go about registering and titling in TN. I have the title from the previous owner, ready for me to fill in my information. Do I just take it to the county registers office?

I read something online from one of the TN.GOV sites about having a trailer inspection done, is that applicable?

Thanks for any help and advice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Best to call the county registrar most likely. Old dad lives in N. GA and got too old to drive his Motor Home and gave it to me and I had to get it registered in TN, but its a big DOH that a motorized vehicle would need registration. The biggest annoyance transferring title to the RV is that Chatt has mandatory emissions testing. However, vehicles above a certain weight are exempt from the annual emissions test. So one county lady said bring in proof of the weight so I took a picture of the vehicles weight tag and brought in the picture and the vehicle manual, but at the office they said it had to be driven to the emissions check station the first year so the emissions guy can look at it and say "yup, that's a heavy vehicle" and fill out a waiver, and then I can use the waiver to make the registration and never have to drive it to the emissions check office again.

But being as a trailer RV doesn't have emissions, dunno if Chatt would care about anything except getting their sales tax. Maybe other parts of the state have other stupid mandatory inspections in addition to emissions, dunno. Long ago Chatt also had a "vehicle soundness" mandatory annual inspection but it was a joke perhaps only useful as an income stream. Long ago I bought a defective ancient used volkswagen bug and it passed the mandatory inspection, then the next day the brakes catastrophically failed and almost got me killed. So the inspection didn't work too good for $25 if it couldn't even detect brakes ready to die at any moment.

Keep in mind that while TN may not require a tag on your trailer, other states do. Like window tinting, it doesn't matter where it's registered, you must comply with the laws where you are. A trailer tag is cheap and permanent. That said, you're not likely to get nicked for it.

Guest Ceolas

Keep in mind that while TN may not require a tag on your trailer, other states do. Like window tinting, it doesn't matter where it's registered, you must comply with the laws where you are. A trailer tag is cheap and permanent. That said, you're not likely to get nicked for it.

That was the way I understood it. If staying in TN, you can go without a tag on a trailer. If going to another state with it, you have to have one.

only comercial trailers need a tn tag and/or title. if you go into other states you will need a print out of the tn law showing that you do not need a tag. local leo of other states don't know tn law. if you got an other state title i would get a tn title. you can get a semi trailer tag real cheap in tn. it is good for ever, buy once and good for ever. that is what i use on two trailers.

Pop up campers are not required to be registered/tagged in Tennessee. As long as you have a TN tag on your tow vehicle, you will be OK wherever you go. Please be sure that your trailer has working lights, or that your tow vehicle lights can be seen from the rear.

Tennessee does not require a title for your camper so long as your tow vehicle is registered within the state. Same if you travel to another state. LEO elsewhere will go by TN law since that is where your vehicle is registered.

Enjoy and happy camping!

Dave

only comercial trailers need a tn tag and/or title. if you go into other states you will need a print out of the tn law showing that you do not need a tag. local leo of other states don't know tn law. if you got an other state title i would get a tn title. you can get a semi trailer tag real cheap in tn. it is good for ever, buy once and good for ever. that is what i use on two trailers.

I don't have one....LEO in another state runs my tow vehicle tags and I'm good to go. Tn doesn't title small trailers, campers or boat trailers...

That was the way I understood it. If staying in TN, you can go without a tag on a trailer. If going to another state with it, you have to have one.

And just where would you get one?

Tn doesn't title small trailers, campers or boat trailers...

That's the correct answer, of course.

And you may drive your non-tagged trailer anywhere in the US. Just like you can drive without a front license plate on your vehicle, even in states that require them of their residents.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

And you may drive your non-tagged trailer anywhere in the US. Just like you can drive without a front license plate on your vehicle, even in states that require them of their residents.

- OS

Actually, OS, last I checked, trailers are not allowed to be driven but instead must be towed. (That's why they're called "trailers.") ;)

Oh, and believe me, if you tow a non-tagged trailer into Colorado, you will be stopped and ticketed, no matter where you are from. I had a non-tagged trailer for hauling my rendezvous gear in and got ticketed 3 years in a row and it didn't matter how many times I quoted Kansas regulations at them. Finally I just nailed an old expired tag on the back near the bottom (made a good mud scraper) and never got even got looked at again.

Thanks all, it was always my understanding that if the trailer stayed in TN then no tags required, but when leaving the state you had to follow the rules of the state you were in. I may be wrong, but that's the way I understood it.

Thanks all, it was always my understanding that if the trailer stayed in TN then no tags required, but when leaving the state you had to follow the rules of the state you were in. I may be wrong, but that's the way I understood it.

You are exactly right. Doesn't matter a damn what your home state regulations are, you must be compliant with the state you are traveling in.

You are exactly right. Doesn't matter a damn what your home state regulations are, you must be compliant with the state you are traveling in.

That's ridiculous ... you'd have to stop and buy/change plate for every state you passed through.

I admit I've never hauled a boat through CO, but have though several southern states, many times through the years. A regular trip was TN to the keys, got stopped a couple times for something or other through the years, but the untagged trailer was never an issue. Both GA and FL require boat trailer tags.

Why don't you have to stop in each state and register/change plates for your car? Because there are differences in requirements for travelers and residents.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Ceolas

That's ridiculous ... you'd have to stop and buy/change plate for every state you passed through.

I admit I've never hauled a boat through CO, but have though several southern states, many times through the years. A regular trip was TN to the keys, got stopped a couple times for something or other through the years, but the untagged trailer was never an issue. Both GA and FL require boat trailer tags.

Why don't you have to stop in each state and register/change plates for your car? Because there are differences in requirements for travelers and residents.

- OS

Not sure why this is causing you a coronary...

What I read from this is, you can get a semi trailer lifetime tag for fairly cheap and it will help you avoid contact with LEO in other states. Not required, but if it makes it where I don't have to stop for an out of state cop once every couple of years who cares.

Not sure why this is causing you a coronary...

Not sure why you see my comment as "coronary" level, unless you have heart rate of the average blue whale :)

Anyway, since it's been years since I hauled a boat out of state and understand that Amerika has closed all nooses tighter over time, I'll back off on my stand and admit you're probably right about less hassle in the long run doing it your way. Although they don't specify exactly what you're supposed to do to tag the thing, Knox County says this nowadays:

"Registering and licensing a boat trailer is not required by the State of Tennessee, however, other states may require boat trailer owners to do so. Because of the differences in laws from state to state, it is strongly recommended that all boat trailers be titled and registered if the boat trailer will be traveling outside the boundaries of the State of Tennessee. It is also strongly recommended that all boat trailers be titled and registered due to theft problems. A boat trailer can be traced much more easily if titled and registered."

- OS

- OS

1st, I don't recall saying anything about a boat trailer. The trailer I was referring to was used to haul "Rendezvous Gear" which is to say all the gear and accompanying accoutrements necessary for those of us who enjoy the historic hobby of revisiting/re-enacting the time period of the Western Fur Trade era. In fact, the trailer that I was pulling at the time was built of wood and mounted on an old Model A frame (with working lights).

2nd, No Sir, Mr. OS, it is not ridiculous and no, it would not be necessary, nor you would be required to " to stop and buy/change plate for every state you passed through." All you gotta' do is go to the local courthouse and explain to them what you need: A registration and tag for a home-built (or commercially made) trailer for the purpose of becoming compliant in other states. If the trailer is of commercial make, you will have to provide a bill of sale or receipt from the time of sale. If it is a home-build, you might need to have someone from the DOT make a quick inspection and certify it as road worthy. Once you have done all this and paid the nominal fee and received/mounted the tag, your trailer is legal in EVERY state where trailer registration/tagging is required (just like your auto registration/tag).

3rd, While there may indeed be different requirements for residents vs "travelers" in certain states, that's not the reason you're not required to stop and register your vehicle in each state you travel through. That has more to do with a continent wide (and I say continent wide because you can also drive into Canada and Mexico without being required to register your vehicle in those countries) reciprocity agreement which, over simplified, basically states that if a vehicle is certified safe and legal in a given home municipality, then all other municipalities will honor said certification of said originating municipality.

When I talk to guys about hauling OD (Over Dimensional, AKA Over Sized) loads, I tell them to carefully read each required permit from each state they'll be traveling through and specifically check all lighting/flagging requirements stated on the permit, then get compliant with the state which has the strictest regulations/requirements of all the states they will be traveling through. If they do that, then they won't have to worry about anything but driving and keeping their load secure because all requirements will have been previously met.

I said that to say this: Different states/municipalities have different rules, whether it be in regards to vehicles, firearms, fireworks, or farm animals and you are expected to abide by the governing rules of whichever municipality you find yourself in. I respectively submit, Sir, that if you've pulled an unregistered/untagged trailer through a state which requires trailer registration/tagging and didn't get ticketed or warned, it was because you were lucky and not because their rules are negated by the rules of your home state.

...I respectively submit, Sir, that if you've pulled an unregistered/untagged trailer through a state which requires trailer registration/tagging and didn't get ticketed or warned, it was because you were lucky and not because their rules are negated by the rules of your home state.

I reciprocally submit that it was more likely I was traveling through states which did not require my non-resident non-commercial trailer to be registered in the first place, which I assumed to be all of them.

Btw, as per your experience, Colorado does, at least for your class of trailer -- I must say though that I believe I would have taken countermeasures before the THIRD fine, but that's just me. ;)

Btw, looked it up and TN does indeed require tags for any fifth wheel trailer and camper trailers with permanent tops (as opposed to pop ups). So, WD-40, I must revise my agreement re TN and small trailers; according to this info, even a very small one person camper needs a tag if it's a hardtop.

http://www.countycle...equirements.pdf

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I reciprocally submit that it was more likely I was traveling through states which did not require my non-resident non-commercial trailer to be registered in the first place, which I assumed to be all of them.

Now that's funny right there! You almost had me until I realized that that depth of naivete' is completely contradictory to the sage and seasoned, all knowing guru you usually present here. Then I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were being deliberately obtuse and intentionally obfuscating the issue simply for the sake of argument.

Btw, as per your experience, Colorado does, at least for your class of trailer -- I must say though that I believe I would have taken countermeasures before the THIRD fine, but that's just me. ;)

- OS

Ouch, bit of a cheap shot, don't you think? But, you are of course correct and my only defense is that I was much younger and had obviously been taking advice from someone such as yourself. Btw, being ticketed does necessarily equate to being fined, but your jab was a good one nonetheless. ;)

Have a great day!

...TS...

I don't have one....LEO in another state runs my tow vehicle tags and I'm good to go. Tn doesn't title small trailers, campers or boat trailers...

i run ga, al, and sc several times a year with equipment/hay trailers. before i got the semi tag i would get pulled over by local leo's for not having a tag. after you tell them tn law and they run your tow vehicle, all is mostly ok. but it is better to have the semi tag and no more problems.