Range Report on new M&P 9C

Guest m4coyote

Guest m4coyote

I purchased a new M&P 9C at Sportsmans Warehouse two weeks ago, and have run about 150 rounds through it. I had hopes of giving this gun to my wife to use as a CCW, but have since changed my mind.

I started off with a 100 round box of 115 gr. FMJ WWB. The gun was quite accurate, very comfortable in hand, and had noticeably softer recoil than my G19.

The hot brass from the very first round went down my shirt and burned my stomach. After two more full magazines, I realized that this was going to be the norm, because at least 70 or 80 percent of the hot empties were hitting me on the right side of my face, right glasses lens, or going down my shirt.

Out of the one hundred WWB rounds fired, the slide only locked back on the empty magazine once, and when I inserted a full magazine into the gun, the slide release lever was so stiff that it required the use of both thumbs to release the slide & chamber a fresh round.

After finishing off the 100 WWB rounds, I tried my luck with some 124 gr. Speer Gold Dot hollow points. About every other round of the Speer ammo would jam against the feed ramp. I then switched to the Winchester 115 gr. Personal Protection hollow point rounds. Twelve rounds of this ammo produced three jams against the feed ramp. The next hollow point rounds tried were the Winchester Ranger SXT 147 gr. rounds, and within twelve rounds, there were four jams against the feed ramp. To eliminate the magazines as the culprit, when a stoppage occurred, I would unload that magazine, and load the rounds into the other magazine. Whether I used the pinky rest magazine or the flat based magazine did not make a difference in feeding ability.

After the failures with the various hollow point rounds, I packed up and went home. Upon cleaning the 9C, I gave the barrel a really good inspection. The rifling in the barrel seems to have an abnormally rough finish. After cleaning the bore by alternating with a Hoppes #9 soaked phosphor bronze brush, and patches, I noticed a build up of copper jacket material on several sections of the muzzle crown. I was finally able to literally peel these off with a brass cleaning brush. The finish of the M&Ps bore in no way compares with the mirror polished bores of my Glocks, H&Ks, Kahrs, FNs, or any other pistol I own.

On a funny note, my wife thought I was attacked by a swarm of bees when I removed my shirt before getting into the shower. She lost all interest in the M&P9C when it was revealed that these were brass burns from the new gun.

The 9C is on its way back to S&W for repair. I really hope they can solve these issues, but find it quite inexcusable to allow these faults to make it out of QC testing. It seems that it would be cheaper for S&W to make them right in the first place rather than have to pay shipping both ways, pay someone to fix it, and pay for the replacement parts.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

That sucks....sorry to hear it, I own the 40c, it is flawless, has been out of the box, I have 1500rds through it, not one issue.

I am confident that S&W will take care of it...dont give up on it, you will love it!!

Guest c_o_jones

Sometimes, it seems no matter what you buy, you get one made on a Monday.

S&W will make it right, though.

• Administrator

The 9C is on its way back to S&W for repair. I really hope they can solve these issues, but find it quite inexcusable to allow these faults to make it out of QC testing. It seems that it would be cheaper for S&W to make them right in the first place rather than have to pay shipping both ways, pay someone to fix it, and pay for the replacement parts.

One would certainly think. It's a shame that these avoidable quality control problems still plague the M&P. The platform is a really nice one. I wish Smith and Wesson would get it fixed.

I've sold a boatload of the M&Ps in the last 6 months or so, and the feedback I've been getting is outstanding, I'd say easily 95-99% positive. That being said, lemons can strike anywhere, anytime, no matter whose name is on the slide. If you've got a bad gun, S&W will make it right. If you have any trouble, bring me the gun and I'll get Smith to make it right.

DanO

Guest m4coyote

When it comes back, I really hope it runs as good as it looks and feels. I will let you guys know how it performs after they work on it.

Dan, thanks for the offer of assistance. I will certainly be in touch if it does not work right after its first trip back to S&W.

That has got to be one of the better reviews I have read on the web about a gun.

Straight, to the point, not a lot of technical jargon or slanted in any way.

A real users review!

Excellent job m4coyote... hope you get everything straighten out with your gun.

• Administrator

For what it's worth, my old 9c went back to the factory twice. Once for the mag-drop issue, the second time for the premature lock-back issue. The gun went away with my ex-wife so I have no idea if even still has it, let alone if either of those issues persist. The last time I shot it, it had neither problem post-service work.

YMMV.

Guest ScottD

I have a 9c as well, after having this issue and fixing it, I love the gun. Here is the fix for your issue.

Drop the mag spring, and stretch it. You don't want to over stretch it, but enough so that it is tighter in the mag. Also while doing this, aim the follower up slightly (just bend the last section of the spring back a bit). Put the spring back in the mag, and close it all up. Try it out now... With any luck your issue should be resolved.

Good luck...

Scott