So, if your Church meets in a school for services...

Guest Catfish36

When going to church I leave my gun at home. My church is walking distance from the house. I don't know how the school thingie works. I guess I don't have enough "scrupples" to carry into church. Some things just don't seem right!

I do understand your feelings here, but I have gotten over it...haha. I know several people in my church that carry and guns are often a topic of conversation among friends. But when I first got my permit..something about it just didn't seem right in church so I would usually leave it in my car..but on occasion would ankle carry or something. However, several months ago, Pastor was preaching and something struck me...he was preaching on Jesus in the Garden of Gathsemene and about Peter pulling out his sword and cutting off the soldiers ear..then it hit me..the Disciples were with Jesus, God in Flesh..the one who created all things..holds the power of life and death in His mere words, and yet it seems it was common practice that they carried the most modern weapon of their day at all times! And remember these men were not LEO's,..they were not soldiers..Peter was a fisherman (probably explains why he missed and cut off the guys ear instead of killing him..haha). Also remember that this men were Jews in a country that was now governed by the Romans..they were not really even Roman citizens..yet they still carried weapons as common practice. On Wednesday nights, I teach in our Children's Ministry held in our gym. I am there with 50, 60, or 80 kids..along with other adults we are responsible for their safety. In my pocket tucked away is a Sig P238..no one has ever noticed..no one has ever asked..Some would probably be highly offended or bothered if they knew..but I believe it is the right and responsible thing for me to do. I now also carry in the main sanctuary on Sundays..It's good to be an American ..born Free.

Now back on topic. Our church also has a Christian School that opporates in the same facilities 5 days a week. I go there daily to pick up my son. If I ever need to enter the building during school hours it is my understand that this is no longer a church...but it is now a school and I enter the same building unarmed that I may have just been in the night before armed. Technicality I know..and in my opinion very foolish..unconstitutional and flat out wrong if you ask me...you all know the drill.."shall not be infringed"..blah blah.

Our church also has a Christian School that opporates in the same facilities 5 days a week. I go there daily to pick up my son. If I ever need to enter the building during school hours it is my understand that this is no longer a church...but it is now a school and I enter the same building unarmed that I may have just been in the night before armed.

Maybe. I seem to recall reading an AG opinion on the matter that you may have that backwards. The building doesn't cease to be a church and become a school, rather it is a school all the time, including when it's used solely as a church. I may be mis-rembering that though. I'm pretty sure that the school no-no only applies if it's a school certified by the state for elementary or higher. If it's a pre-school, it's all good.

As for carrying in church, I always do. I used to do some ride-alongs with some USAF Security Police officers when I was in Civil Air Patrol. They sponsored our cadet unit. Anyway, I remember riding with a K-9 unit and him telling me that the domestic disputes are their worst calls, because they never know what they're going to walk in to. Is it a simple screaming match, or is someone in a murderous rage? I figure that in my life, I'm most likely to get caught up in someone else's domestic dispute at work or at church. A marriage goes bad and one party blames the church that either "stole my wife/husband" or "failed to save my marriage." It happened at the church my wife grew up in. A guy decided that if he couldn't have his wife, then no one would. Killed her, then himself. Nothing could have stopped that, but if he had decided to shoot the place up before offing himself, then maybe there's time to react and try to stop it.

Edited by monkeylizard