So, if your Church meets in a school for services...

I had actually wondered the same about other organizations & fund raisers raffling guns during the evenings (example Ducks Unlimited, etc). Probably not any different. Its not a school function during school hours, and is under lease/rental.

When going to church I leave my gun at home. My church is walking distance from the house. I don't know how the school thingie works. I guess I don't have enough "scrupples" to carry into church. Some things just don't seem right!

When going to church I leave my gun at home. My church is walking distance from the house. I don't know how the school thingie works. I guess I don't have enough "scrupples" to carry into church. Some things just don't seem right!

We've been going to Cornerstone the past 5 years; the majority of the congregation there carries. We're looking at changing, and the new option meets in a school. I'm used to carrying, and just want to know if I still can.

I've been really surprised to have not seen more random shootings at churches with the way some have far out believes. When i was a kid I witnessed a really bad domestic assault at church. If I carry anywhere it will be at church. If there were others carried there that I highly trusted and knew I would feel more comfortable being weapon less.

Edited by Patton

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property.

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

None of this says anything about non-school functions or non-school hours. I think you'd be hard pressed to defend yourself if you were caught carrying on school property, even to go to church.

Question for the wise ones.....it says legal in the vehicle as long as it isn't handled. Would that include removing the holster from your belt etc?

I'd opine that if legal push ever came to shove, since the only way you can keep it in vehicle on school property is without intent to go armed, that it's more important that it's unloaded than the brief handling to do so.

- OS

This.

Technically, you'd have to stop off the property, unload and separate, then drive onto the property. After church, you'd have to drive off property, reload, then good to go. This law that by some accounts was meant to allow parents with HCPs to drive on property to pickup/dropoff their kids so long as they didn't handle the firearm on property, creates one of the most accident-prone series of events one can image. All for the want of those little words "with intent to go armed."

Thank you, walton. Looks like it's gonna stay in the car... :(

Just curious, I have been in several church startups, some of which leased school facilities. Hopefully, it is a short term issue.

How long have they used the school property ? Do they have plans to move soon (the next few months)?

B.

Edited by R_Bert

...This law that by some accounts was meant to allow parents with HCPs to drive on property to pickup/dropoff their kids so long as they didn't handle the firearm on property, creates one of the most accident-prone series of events one can image. All for the want of those little words "with intent to go armed."

Well, you realize there's a separate defense that addresses just that, with no need to unload, right? But it's only for that purpose, picking up and dropping off passengers.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I know schools are no carry zones. But, on Sundays, when there is no school there... and your church is using the school auditorium for services... is it no carry then, as well?

Schools are off limits at all times, with very limited exceptions. Your pretty much out of luck... Call your state legislator and complain about it... That is the only way it gets fixed.

Just curious, I have been in several church startups, some of which leased school facilities. Hopefully, it is a short term issue.

How long have they used the school property ? Do they have plans to move soon (the next few months)?

B.

Only been 3 months. I'm sure it's a short term issue.

Guest 270win

Some churches in Arkansas get around the 'no carry' part of having a concealed handgun license rules there by getting armed guard licenses for a few church members to help protect the church. The church has to get its own business security license from the state police and then helps license the church members. About the only people that can legally carry in a church in Arkansas are the pastors, deacons, elders, etc because it is considered their business. And they don't even need a concealed handgun license.

Maybe if your church also has a school you could go the route of the church getting a few church members armed guard licenses. It is expensive but can be done.

Only been 3 months. I'm sure it's a short term issue.

New church plants are absolutely a thrilling place to worship and serve. We are no longer a start-up, but we have adopted a multi-campus approach. It is still a blast, and is really shaking up Knoxville. We are on 4 physical locations (main, plus three store-fronts). We started two of them in the last year, and also have a significant internet worship presence. Have not figured out how to baptize over the web yet, so folks have to travel for that (and have come from several states and countries to do just that).

In Nashville, one of our sister churches is CrossPoint Church (Pastor Pete Wilson, author of the book "Plan B") which has 5-6 campuses in the area. If you ever hear Pete speak, be sure and get the "pee in the pool" story. It is hilarious.

Edited by R_Bert

About the only church that I would ever be compelled to carry at, would be one where some old dude was dancing around to some funky banjo music and whips his snake out for everyone to kiss. Folks, that would be a shooting from hell!!!

I just don't believe I would carry on school property, until I got a clarification on it. Just my opinion is all....

Dave

Well, you realize there's a separate defense that addresses just that, with no need to unload, right? But it's only for that purpose, picking up and dropping off passengers.

- OS

....stupid TN gun laws....Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the law that fixes this law, but only some of the time.