Glock accuracy? This can't be normal.

Finally got a chance to shoot some groups with the Glock 31 (357 Sig) that I bought several months ago. I know Glocks aren't known for their accuracy, but I was getting a terrible group with it. And I am quite sure that I am capable of better groups than this.

(I tried very hard to post a couple pics of my targets, but I just couldn't figure it out. Maybe it's too late at night or something. I've done it before on this forum, but it ain't happenin' tonight. I uploaded the pics to Flickr if anyone wants to give me some posting instruction.)

Anyway, using a 9" diameter paper plate with an "X" in the middle at about 32 feet, I kept 6 out of 10 rounds on the plate. The ones that hit the target, are spread out about 7". I was actually trying for tight groups, not speed.

Well, I knew that wasn't right, so I dropped in a 9mm barrel that I bought at the same time. A factory 9mm barrel, not a conversion barrel. So there is a bit of lateral movement when it's in battery. Still, as I started shooting (not thinking at the time that I would post this to TGO) my rounds started dropping in right around the "X". I upped my cadence and spread them out to about 6" vertically. But it was still nothing like with the 357 barrel. Dropped all 17 rounds within about 2.5" horizontally and 6" vertically. And that's with a barrel with a bit of slop.

So what's the deal? Is this common with a 357 Sig Glock? I can't imagine that it is.

Ultimately, my plan is to get Lone Wolf barrels in .40 S&W, a 9mm conversion, and now one in 357 Sig, so I'm not worried about sending it to the factory or anything like that. I'm just wondering if this can possibly be normal.

Thanks for any input.

Will

What ammunition were you using? You haven't shot any unjacketed lead bullets through the barrel have you? I would thoroughly clean the barrel and try a different brand of ammunition. The factory uses Speer Lawman 125 gr FMJ for test firing. You might try using that and see what your results are.

Yep. Forgot to add that. I was using Winchester white box 357 Sig, 125 JHP. The 9mm were my handloads. 115 JHP.

Both barrels were clean. No lead through these polygonal barrels. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't think to include that either.

I hate to buy another box of factory rounds, but I may try out the Speer Lawman 125s. Or load some of my own to try. I haven't yet bought 357 Sig dies, but I'll have to soon if I want to stay proficient with this pistol. Factory ammo is just too expensive. It will probably be my regular carry pistol, as long as I can get it to shoot where I'm aiming.

Thank you,

Will

Edited by Clod Stomper

I once had a magazine that had a bunch of experts talking(writing) about the proper grip for various handguns. I reread it until it fell apart. After practicing the techniques while safely dryfiring at home. My buddies came to the conclusion that my Glock 19 was super accurate and finally asked to shoot my cheap(compared to their premium brand) plastic pistol. None of them could get half of their shots on my homemade 8.5" X 11" targets. Try to get the web between your thumb as uncomfortably high as possible. Your off hand should help by pulling the pistol into your web. It felt weird for the first few hundred pulls, but once you can dryfire, safely, with almost zero front sight movement, try again. I also changed my stance to leaning forward. Before I was kind of leaning back. Glocks aren't the most accurate but with alot of practice should always be on paper at a handgun range. The above worked for me but I'm sure with little research you can find a technique that works for you.

I have two things for you. One is I had a Glock 19 with a unbelievable amount of rounds through it. A friend and I attempted a controlled penetration/recoil test with many types of ammo. The Glock 19 had always been a winner but when I fired 20 Buffalo Bore 9mm +p+ through it I was disappointed to only put 2 on the entire target.. I had no other misses that day with over 200 different types of ammo to include some Gold Dots out of a Glock 32. Another day I dropped my factory G19 barrel in my Glock 23 and 27 to find it was extremely accurate, we're talking 6" groups at 50 yrds. I would not hesitate to say I was noticeably more accurate with them than with the G19.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should elaborate a bit on my technique.

I do dry practice regularly. I really had to to get used to the Glock trigger. But when I dry-fire, there is no sight movement. This isn't the first Glock I've shot, but it's the first I've owned. I've never had a problem keeping on target with any others. My grip and stance are just as Kevo suggested and that's how I teach new shooters as well. The only thing I had to change about my grip with the Glock is I have to cant my firing (right) hand slightly to the right to keep my trigger finger from dragging on the frame.

I suppose it was a broad generalization to say that Glocks aren't known for their accuracy. I know the design is not inherently inaccurate. But sometimes the barrel may leave something to be desired. As seems to be the case with mine.

I'm going to try some different ammo and handloads. Unless there is a drastic improvement, I guess I'll be getting a Lone Wolf barrel or three. For now, I have the 9mm barrel in it since it shoots better, despite the fact that I only have one 9mm mag.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Will

Edit: Patton, that makes me think that I may just have stumbled onto a bad ammo/barrel combination. I hope that's the case. Karnage, that's a good price on that ammo. Thanks for the link. I may give it a try. I'll try a single box first to see how it shoots in my pistol.

Edited by Clod Stomper

You should stay away from that WWB for self protection anyway. There's tons of reviews about them being unreliable Hollow Points. I have only tested hydra shocks and Gold Dots for 357 sig. Do you have enough brass?

Guest Victor9er

This is a shot in the dark here, and maybe I misread what you said, but it sounds to me like you're shooting accurate with the 9mm ammo but not the .357, I haven't shot .357 before but maybe that's where your problem is at? I know Glocks are light guns and maybe the recoil is affecting your accuracy somehow? Or maybe the anticipation of the recoil is affecting your grip?

It just seems odd to me that you could be so accurate with the same gun using two different typs of ammo and the problem be in the gun. I would think, that if the gun isn't accurate then you would see similar results from the 9mm ammo as well.

And as for general accuracy of Glocks... check out some of Hickok45's vids on YouTube. They look pretty accurate to me.

All of my Glocks are extremely accurate, they shoot just as good as guns I have/had that cost 3-6 times as much. Thats comparing them to Nighthawks,HK Usp Tactical's/MK23's,CZ 75 Tactical Sports,EAA Witness Limited. All of that being said I typically change the triggers out in my Glocks,once the trigger is a little lighter and alot more crisp they become laser beams in my hands. Unfortunately I do not have ANY experience with the 357 models so Im not going to be of any help there.

I found the G31 to be one of the more accurate Glocks I owned.

So the accuracy you speak of doesn't sound right at all.

But the only ammo I ran through the G31 was Speer Lawman 125 TMJ.

I have ran WWB in my G33 and it seemed to have been just about as good.

I'd maybe try to find another barrel and try it, or even let some one else shoot it and see if they can get any better groups.

I have never been able to shoot a G22 very good. I've had 3 or them and none shot good for me.

But other people could shoot it and do better. Never have figured it out.

Thanks guys. Victor9er, you read right. I was shooting better with the 9 mm bbl than with the 357. But being completely different barrels, I can see how one would shoot differently than the other. As far as flinching, I got over that years and years ago. I'm not a perfect shot, but my problems never involve flinching, bucking or jerking. And to be honest, I expected the 357 Sig to have more recoil than it does. It's only slightly more energetic than the 9mm. My Para-Ordnance P10 (which was surprisingly accurate) had quite a bit more muzzle flip than this pistol.

M14man, I hadn't thought about the recoil spring being weak, but the pistol is like new. First pistol I've bought from an FFL in nearly 20 years.

I'll try some different ammo. If it still won't shoot. I'll chalk it up to a bad barrel and swap it out for an aftermarket.

Thanks everyone.

Will

Glocks have acceptable accuracy bordering on pretty good. I would guess you have a bad barrel (dinged crown, possibly?) or some *very* bad ammo. In general, even very bad ammo just has a wide variation in the up/down due to inconsistent powder charges. If it cycles the action in a glock, its strong enough to stabalize so it should still be dead on left/right. So to miss left/right the bullet would have to have a serious blemish to cause aerodynamic veering --- highly unlikely.

All that translates to one of 2 things:

1) your barrel is messed up OR

2) the shooter is messed up.

When I first transitioned over to carrying a G17 (which was about 8 years ago) it was after a decade of carrying a 1911 (Colt Combat Commander) so getting used to the different grip angle and striker trigger system took me a few range trips before my groups tightened up.

I'd probably suggest taking it out a few more times and see if you can get them to tighten up with a bit more time behind the trigger.

Guest m14man

my brother bought a new g19 bad recoil spring it shot all over the place but it should shot bad with the 9mm also unless you switched springs with the barrel

I appreciate your open mind, as I'm definitely not an expert. Maybe a TGO member with an identical Glock factory 357Sig barrel could step up and let you try swapping. I've never shot 357Sig although I still have a 50 round box I bought to shoot through Patton's, but my hectic schedule never allowed us to perform our phonebook penetration tests. Since your (Glock)technique is down, that leaves only the barrel/chamber ( of the only Glock factory bottleneck cartridge ) to be at fault. I'm curious if anyone else within your first three letters of your serial number have had a problem. Either way I'd like to think that Glock would either examine your barrel and confirm it's as it should be, or replace it for one in spec. Keep us updated :)

Guest tenn

No offense, but at the distance you described the pistol should shoot a ragged hole.

I don't know where you heard that Glocks aren't accurate. That's just not the case. Mine dings steel all day out to 100 yards.

[media=]

[/media]
Guest Victor9er

I only have the one Glock 19. Maybe it's not a target quality pistol but it hits everything I aim at. At 10 yards there's a fist sized ragged hole after 100 rounds.

Looks good to me....