New thread... Official pictures of the Springfield XD-M

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see in the pictures that "Made In Croatia" is stamped on the grip. Does Springfield make anything in the US anymore? A lot of their 1911's are from Brazil, and the current XD's are Croatian....Just nit-picking I guess, but a company that loves to play up the name Springfield Armory and all the historical stuff behind it oughtta be made in the US (just my opinion) at least they are not made in China.

"Buy from China, our toys taste better"

The XD was originally imported as the HS2000 and was indeed made in Croatia for their police and military. Springfield pretty much got absolute control over the HS and renamed it and marketed it as the XD in 2002. They are still made in Croatia and imported by Springfield. I like it because it means it is cheaper!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_XD

Guest darkstar
The XD was originally imported as the HS2000 and was indeed made in Croatia for their police and military. Springfield pretty much got absolute control over the HS and renamed it and marketed it as the XD in 2002. They are still made in Croatia and imported by Springfield. I like it because it means it is cheaper!

Yeah, I can understand cheaper....It just kind of cracks me up when you see the ads in the magazines for Springfield, they always play up the name i.e. the famous US arsenal since the 1700's etc, etc, they hardly make anything here and they just use the name. That just bugs me a bit.

Not knocking the guns I think they are pretty decent firearms (though the XD's just don't fit my hands well). Guess I'm just being difficult.

Thread Hi-Jack over

I'm interested to see whether or not the internals (specifically the trigger bar and sear) are interchangeable with the standard XD... if so, it'll be compatible with the drop-in trigger job parts on the market, and would be simple to turn into a sweet USPSA Limited pistol.

If it's been totally re-designed though, I'll probably pass on one.

No, the internals are not interchangeable. Someone posted some internal pictures, but I'll have to dig them up.

Going by memory, I think the XD frames were molded in Israel and the barrels were made in either Germany or Austria. I have no idea if that is still the case.

I like the new design. Not having to pull the trigger and having the changeable backstrap modernizes the design, IMHO. I'll withhold judgment until I have a chance to play with one. But without the ability to de-cock and re-cock, I probably won't buy one.

HS2000 or Hrvatski Samokres 2000, is made by independent factory in Karlovac,Croatia few miles from Zagreb, capitol of Croatia. Springfield does not have any control over that company what so ever, this gun sells in US under the name "Springfield XD" only for marketing purpose, Springfield didn`t renamed anything else but guns they import for US market.

Db

Going by memory, I think the XD frames were molded in Israel and the barrels were made in either Germany or Austria. I have no idea if that is still the case.

it`s not and it never was...

Db

HS2000 or Hrvatski Samokres 2000, is made by independent factory in Karlovac,Croatia few miles from Zagreb, capitol of Croatia. Springfield does not have any control over that company what so ever, this gun sells in US under the name "Springfield XD" only for marketing purpose, Springfield didn`t renamed anything else but guns they import for US market.

Db

While it is "independent" their licensing agreement gives them complete control over almost every aspect of production. Springfield controls the specs ultimately, that is why the new XDm came into production.

Guest gcrookston

If I were Springfield, I'd fire their Marketing firm. Not certain which cliche they missed using, but the synergy just detracts from the excellent photography

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I, my wife, bnagashima and Mrs. Shima visited On Target in Murfreesboro last night after having dinner. They had a few of the XD-M's in stock and we were able to play with them a little.

I really wasn't all that impressed. It felt "weird" in my hand and a little more top-heavy than the XD Tactical. It did point very naturally and I thought the factory sights were actually pretty good. The serrations on the rear blade were a nice touch and will obviously help reduce glare in sunlight.

The gun is very obviously oriented towards USPSA / IDPA competition and looks like it would be a very good starting platform. With a few minor tweaks, some of my initial "bleh" reaction might turn for the better.

I'm reserving absolute judgement until I get to actually fire one.

Guest Phantom6
I haven't even been able to look at one :lol:

Every time I ask Carters if the have any of the new XDM they say "you mean the one with the thumb safety" :)

Wow. They really stay on top of things there eh?

Guest db99wj

I played with one today, not bad, the grip is not as "aggressive" as it looks on internet pictures. Sites are good. Breaks down very easy, no trigger pull. Felt good, points very well, 16 .40 is very nice. "Match" Trigger.........not impressed, maybe a little better, but not noticeably better. Initial pull was heavy, very similar to current XD's and Glocks and other types of these trigger systems. Reset was longer than I thought it was going to be. I'm sure the trigger will improve with use, mine did, but I guess I was expecting more with the "Match trigger" and the advertising around it. Don't get me wrong, the trigger wasn't bad at all, it just not quite up to advertised.

There's my .02.

Who said that .40SW was the only caliber it will come in? :screwy:

Besides, there are quite a few people shooting Production with bunny-fart .40SW loads with just enough powder to meet minimum spec. The advantage being on the poppers and plates that sometimes 9mm shooters have difficulty knocking over. And there are other games besides USPSA. I can see where IDPA shooters will probably love this gun even more.

In USPSA, I imagine that Limited-10 and Limited shooters will really love this one the most.

Limited and L-10 is pretty much dominated by 1911's.