Help with shipping a firearm please

There is a gentleman in Wyoming that has offered me serious coin for my preban pokytech sidefolder....he says he has ffl and will accept from individual...I told him as far as payment goes id take usps money order...if he has ffl do i just pack it up like i want and take it to ups store and off it goes or is there more to it?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

There is a gentleman in Wyoming that has offered me serious coin for my preban pokytech sidefolder....he says he has ffl and will accept from individual...I told him as far as payment goes id take usps money order...if he has ffl do i just pack it up like i want and take it to ups store and off it goes or is there more to it?

That's pretty much it. Since it is going to a FFL, you don't need to notify them that it contains a firearm. I think they also want you to drop it off at a Service Center and I think they want it to be shipped overnight as well, but what they don't know won't hurt them unless your package gets lost, they may not cover it if it wasn't shipped according to their terms. Since it's a rifle, it can also go USPS.

Edited by bkelm18

Get the name, address and phone number of the FFL where he wants it shipped. Ask for the first three numbers and last five numbers of his dealer's FFL. Go here ==> https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ , enter the numbers to make sure the FFL is still valid. Make sure you only ship it to the premises address that shows up the website.

Box it up and ship it via FedEx, UPS or USPS. You would have better luck with UPS or FedEx, but stay away from the UPS Stores.

Make sure you include a copy of your driver license with the gun. That way the dealer knows who he is receiving it from, and he can properly log it into his bound book.

Guest bkelm18

Im planning on shipping ups...say i should not go to a ups store? If not a store where to?

UPS policy says it has to be shipped from a Service Center/Hub/etc.

That's pretty much it. Since it is going to a FFL, you don't need to notify them that it contains a firearm. ...

Correct as far as federal law. UPS and FedEx terms of service say you must, though (but no way to prove after the fact whether you did or didn't).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

No. The UPC Store will most likely not ship it. You'll need to go a UPS hub.

If you can generate your own label, no probs, drop and go at UPS Store.

But yeah, if you have to pay there, and inform that it's a firearm, they likely won't.

- OS

the ups store will not ship it (They won't ship any firearms), but normally they will box it in a rifle box. That way it will be safe and last time I got charged $8 to box it with peanuts and a rifle box. From there you will have to drive to a fedex, USPS, or UPS hub which should cost around $20 more to actually ship it. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great information...as always...I may not be shipping anything. When I got that gun my wife pitched a fit as I had about $900 in it. When I told her I had an offer to purchase for $1400 she pitched a bigger fit on the idea of selling it than she did when I bought the darn thing...

Guest bluemarlin

I just shipped a rifle through the UPS store in Oak Ridge to a residence in West TN about a month ago. They told me that rifles are not required to be shipped to an FFL, just handguns. It cost me almost $50 to do it though. It is definately much cheaper to use your own box and packing rather than to let them do it.

I would sell it, and let her get mad(er). that's a nice profit margin and I would take advantage while you can.

The UPS Store will not ship firearms. Its their store policy. Like i said, my local ups store will pack it and last time they charged me around $8 which is cheap since you normally have to buy rifle boxes online in bulk just to get them otherwise.

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via, UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

...The UPS Store will not ship firearms.

They've shipped all of mine, using the What You Don't Know Won't Hurt Either of Us special method. One was a call tag, two or three others were tags I generated from my account.

But you're right, that is not UPS policy. Some UPS Stores may not abide exactly by it, though (see BlueMarlin's post) since they are contractors, not UPS employees, and grope for ever penny through their individual franchises. They get a cut of everything sent through their stores.

I've certainly never had one ask what was already in a packed and labeled box, like they will at a UPS Center/Hub when you must go there to pay for the thing.

There's another place here called Pack(age)Man(ager)that that will also take UPS or FedEx packages no questions asked as long it's already packed with a paid label on it. Dunno if that's a large chain or what.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bluemarlin

I would sell it, and let her get mad(er). that's a nice profit margin and I would take advantage while you can.

The UPS Store will not ship firearms. Its their store policy. Like i said, my local ups store will pack it and last time they charged me around $8 which is cheap since you normally have to buy rifle boxes online in bulk just to get them otherwise.

http://www.ups.com/c...s/firearms.html

I was charged over $17 for box, popcorn, and to let them pack it. I guess it's YMMV depending on where you go.