Another New Motorcycle... Help!

As many of you know, my first bike was destroyed and am looking to get a replacement. Being new to moto's I've read about all I can and am not to hung up on brands, so here is the criteria. I want a cruiser style of at least 650 cc's, in the $6500 range. I really like the Hyosung GV650. I know how some feel about this brand, but what are some other options that are comparative? Thanks.

Xl+Hyosung_650_Cruiser+Front_Right_Side_View_Black.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more into sports and standards myself, but my brother bought a Yamaha V-Star 650 last year. It's a sweet bike. Aircooled V-twin, has a very "big bike look". I would check those out first.

thats a good looking bike. I have no idea how they stack up performance and quality wise, so make sure you do your research.

Suggestion:

Cant you find new, slightly used Harley Sportsters in that same price range?

A Harley is going to carry 10X the resale when you get ready to sell it.

Guest GT_Rat

Aprilia is a well established brand in Europe. Are they importing those? I wish they would import some of Aprilia's 250cc two stroke sportbikes over here.

I should have added that I'm pretty much against Harley's. Just a personal thing kinda like why I don't want a Glock. I guess it's the rebellious side in me.

Resale is not all that important to me as I intend to drive the wheels off the thing. The thing I like about the Hyosung is the 2 yr no questions asked warranty.

Does anyone know how the V-star compares to the Hyosung, other than brand differences?

Aprilia is a well established brand in Europe. Are they importing those? I wish they would import some of Aprilia's 250cc two stroke sportbikes over here.

I'm pretty sure that's the Hyosung he mentioned. I think the script on the tank says "Aqullia" or something...

I'm pretty sure that's the Hyosung he mentioned. I think the script on the tank says "Aqullia" or something...

The 250 cruisers go by Aquila, Cruiser, Alpha, & Avitar. I think it depends on the market and importers.

Guest GT_Rat

Ack! The script on the tank looked like Aprilia. :) Guess I should have enlarged the image.

Yeah! that's the "classic" model and a good looking bike at that. I may have to look into those.

Yeah, that's the same model my brother has, and he just put a set of black powder coated slash-cut straight pipes on his. Looks pretty awesome.

I would definetly consider one of those over a Hyosung, partly just due to the established aftermarket for them. However, also consider that a Yamaha will have far better resale than a Hyosung.

One thing I can't figure out is the dyno shows the Hyosung 650 gets 68 HP (claimed 72) at the rear wheel where the V-Star 650 turns 33 HP at the rear wheel. You have to go up to a 1100 V-Star to get close to the Hyosung. I know there is a difference in torque and running RPM's, but what gives? That's a pretty big gap.

As many of you know, my first bike was destroyed and am looking to get a replacement. Being new to moto's I've read about all I can and am not to hung up on brands, so here is the criteria. I want a cruiser style of at least 650 cc's, in the $6500 range. I really like the Hyosung GV650. I know how some feel about this brand, but what are some other options that are comparative? Thanks.

Xl+Hyosung_650_Cruiser+Front_Right_Side_View_Black.jpg

Well, if that design didn't come straight from the V-Rod.

I'm not sure of your situation, but I think you'd be much better off buying a very nice, used bike with low miles. For the money you're looking to spend, you could get a sweet deal, on a bike that would last for several years.

Those "off brand" bikes are cheaply priced for a reason. The quality simplt isn't there. For someone who knows little/nothing about motorcycles, they probably seem like a nice ride, but there is now way they could stack-up against "name brand" scooters.

Here's an example.

My dad just (yesterday) purchased this bike for less than $4000.

f1571jb9.jpg

It's a 200? SUZUKI INTRUDER LC 1500, with low mileage, and VERY well kept. No, it's not brand new, but it will undoubtedly outlast one of those bikes you're looking at. On top of that, the kind of bikes you're looking at could only dream of being such a smooth/comfortable ride.

I know a touring bike may not be the ideal choice for you, but you can find the same type of deals for any type of scooter you may be looking for.

I have been in the motorcycle business all of my life. BEWARE of all these new CHINA imports. Parts & service are hard to come by. I tell everyone who asks me the same question you posted is to buy from a good dealer or know a good dealer close by where you can get it worked on. The best bike in the world is worthless if it breaks and you can`t get it fixed. Like they all have said---Shop Around as there are great buys out there. Good Luck

One thing I can't figure out is the dyno shows the Hyosung 650 gets 68 HP (claimed 72) at the rear wheel where the V-Star 650 turns 33 HP at the rear wheel. You have to go up to a 1100 V-Star to get close to the Hyosung. I know there is a difference in torque and running RPM's, but what gives? That's a pretty big gap.

That's because they have to rely on making a bike with more HP, because the quality sucks. You can buy a a 4cyl car that comes stock with more HP than a V-6 truck. It's all in how they build the motor. Horsepower is cheap to make, but a quality bike isn't. The bigger HP numbers catch the eyes of rookie riders. All that HP only means the bike (motor) won't last as long. The motor is working harder, at much higher RPM's. That's not good if you're looking for a bike that's going to last a very long time.

This is much of the reason you rarely see people riding their custom bikes on very long trips. They often build those bikes with motors pushing well over 100HP. When you're getting that kind of HP out of such a small motor, it's [the motor] working very hard. The harder they run, the sooner they break.

Guest C-ya

The Hyosung brand uses a copy of Suzuki's motors in all their bikes. Look up the SV650 and see what kind of HP it makes. Here is a link to a dyno comparison for 2002 and 2003 model SV650s. Looks like that engine makes that HP pretty easily. This engine is made for a sportbike. Cruiser engines are notoriously low HP producers. They are more about torque.

I wouldn't automatically assume that because the Hyosung makes more HP than a Yamaha that the Hyosung motor is crap.

Hyosung actually developed the SV650 for Suzuki. Suzuki then built it and Hyosung imports it for their 650's. I did find that the Hyosung runs higher RPM's like a sports bike and that it is not harder on the engine than any other engine.

Guest C-ya

nsnate, I did not know the Hyosung did the development. Interesting. I guess that would explain why all their bikes use a motor very similar to Suzuki's.

I ride a TL100R, which is also a V-Twin. The torque from this thing is amazing. I came from an inline-four (CBR900RR), and the way this pulls is crazy! Guys that have ridden the SV650 say it is a very capable bike that doesn't feel like a "small" bike.

If the price was right, I'd definitely consider the Hyosung. Looks like a cruiser, screams like a sportbike.

About the only thing I know about motorcycles is when a buddy tells me whatever he has is really the bestest super bike out and to to get on and see if I survive. By the end of the run, I'll know the top speed (GPS verified, not speedometer).

I know motorcycles are too expensive. Too many other toys out there to buy for that same money.

Then again, I do have friends who will loan bikes to me. :D

If you have a Harley, don't bother to contact me. :D

Guest C-ya
Too many other toys out there to buy for that same money.

There are other toys, yes, but not motorized and with some of the top developments in the motoring world. Try getting the same HP/weight ratio in a car. You're looking at some of the supercars before you start getting close. I've always felt a modern sportbike (or sporting/sport touring bike) was the best way to get the top technology w/o breaking the bank.

Thanks guys for the input. I really like the Hyosung GV650 and every review by someone who has ridden one gives high marks. I like the cruiser style with the push of a street bike. If the wife lets me get back up on one that is what I will go with. thanks

Guest Engloid
I really like the Hyosung GV650. I know how some feel about this brand, but what are some other options that are comparative? Thanks.

The Hyosung isn't even popular in China.. They can't ride anything over 250cc.