So how many of you have contacted a CC specialized Lawyer?

This is a very, very important subject to me. Since I have a very bad taste in my mouth towards anything lawyer related I am curious how many people here with their CCL have actually done the leg work to retain a lawyer in the case of an actual self defense situation.

I know that they all aren't bad, but if someone here (especially in the Chattanooga area) has done the leg work it would be nice to actually contact one of these lawyer offices so that I can actually do what I am supposed to do...have a # to call if I ever have to shoot someone in a self defense situation...heaven forbid.

I saw one other thread when searching this forum CLICK HERE but it really dances around the topic. The same, sadly enough, is the situation of many other gun forums...there is a lack of the "good guy" lawyers that advertize/solicit themselves for these services. Not sure if NRAILA.com has something as that site is information overload.

I figure I would ask because I am betting that 90% of you CCL holders are in the same boat...have the plastic, but really don't have a legal plan in case they have to follow through. I am thinking that the adage "ounce of prevention = a pound of cure." I see this TN Gun Forum as a great place to discuss as many other forums are on a national level and the pastures are much different elsewhere.

So let's hear it...how many of you have followed through with having a Laywer # alongside your CCL? If you do...you can really add value to all of our lives by sharing who/how you went about obtaining.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This also works to the advantage of the Lawyers that support 2a and are willing to represent a law abiding citizen. if you care to advertise your services here, you will probably get a LOT of business, if nothing else, you'll get quite a few consultations, hand out your card and expand your client base!!!

I took Eddie's advice and sent a quick note to Hoehn and Nimmo. I explained that I have no current legal issues, I just wanted to be in contact with a lawyer and have someone to call should I have to defend myself. I also plugged TGO. ;)

guys, get a good relationship with your lawyer BEFORE you need him. it would help quite a bit I believe.

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest canynracer
Concealed Carry Permit. Sorry...there are so many acronyms for basically the same thing I get them confused.

HCP

CC

CCL

CP

In TN...HCP

think HCP....only HCP...open, or concealed...HCP:D

In TN...HCP

think HCP....only HCP...open, or concealed...HCP:D

In Florida, its strictly CCW. now though, I'll be able to do the open carry when I wish to. for me that would be around those that know me and in my hometown where folks don't get bent out of shape over that sort of thing.

Guest GLOCKGUY

I dont have a lawyer on retainer but i have that insurance that the NRA offers to help you out if you need one for a gun related problem

I would contact John Harris at the TFA. Reason being he runs a CLE, Continuing Legal Education, course for attorneys across the state. He always has some of the nation's top legal experts on firearms law come in for that class.

John would know who has attended that course, most attorneys in the state interested in this law go to that because they have to have it so many CLE's a year, and that's a fun one for a gunnie. There are a number of pro-gun attorneys in Tennessee. John Brown and Randolph Veazey, both instructors at Personal Responsibility Inc, are attorneys who have great expertise in firearms law. They are in Nashville. I sent my wife through the carry CLE last year. She is in Murfreesboro.

There are other attorneys who attend the NRA's firearms law seminars across the country and at the Annual Meeting every year. The could be a resource.

• Administrator

I have my attorney's number in my phone and in my organizer at home and work. Should I ever have to defend myself with deadly force, my course of action will be to:

1. Be polite and professional with the LEO, but inform them that I will cooperate fully but only after I have spoken with my attorney.
  2. Contact my attorney.
  3. Instruct my attorney to contact John Harris' law office and bring him on as a consultant to the case. This is key and something that Mr. Harris actually recommended since his rates are likely higher than the rates of my own attorney, but his specific expertise will only be needed for a portion of the actual legal case.
  4. Obtain my backup gun from my safe and carry it while my primary gun is being held as evidence by the LE agency in question.

That's pretty much the nuts and bolts of it. From what I've read and been told by "those who know" ... this is a solid, basic plan of action.

Guest kwikrnu

I don't, but have consulted an attorney to see how much it would cost to defend me if I were charged with a crime if I carried in a public park where there are no signs and no ordinances.

• Administrator
I don't, but have consulted an attorney to see how much it would cost to defend me if I were charged with a crime if I carried in a public park where there are no signs and no ordinances.

What was their answer?

I have not contacted a lawyer or have on on retainer either.

There is a local lawyer that I like though and would probably contact him. Then discuss with him bringing in John Harris or some other lawyer with more weapons law experience.

Guest kwikrnu
What was their answer?

He said $750-$1000. It was the guy who defended me this morning, Kooperman. I thought that was cheap enough, but there is still the problem of what happens if you win and the DA appeals, or if you lose and appeal and then and you still have the possibility that you lose which probably means you get probabtion, a record and probably hard time getting back the ability to carry a gun or maybe even own guns...

• Administrator
He said $750-$1000. It was the guy who defended me this morning, Kooperman. I thought that was cheap enough, but there is still the problem of what happens if you win and the DA appeals, or if you lose and appeal and then and you still have the possibility that you lose which probably means you get probabtion, a record and probably hard time getting back the ability to carry a gun or maybe even own guns...

Yep. Not worth it.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I don't have anyone on retainer or anything... hell, I haven't even gotten my HCP yet. But I did hear Jerry Summers' name brought up during my HCP course. Seems to have a good rep around the Chatt area. Might be a good guy for you to contact.

Guest Liberty Seeker

I think I might look for a lawyer who is familiar with the concept of double jeopardy.

Guest kwikrnu
I think I might look for a lawyer who is familiar with the concept of double jeopardy.

Those were my words. I thought they could appeal, I guess not.