Going Camping in Kentucky

Hey folks, this is going to be the first time I will be carrying out of state. I am planning on doing some camping on the Kentucky side of the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.

From what I understand, Kentucky has a reciprocity agreement with Tennessee which means - I believe - that I can carry a concealed handgun in that state.

Is there anything I should know before I make this trip? Specifically....

1. Does it have to remain concealed?

2. Does it have to be in a certain place in the car?

3. Am I required to inform a police officer that I am carrying?

4. Being that it is the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, is it considered a national park?

a. If it is a national park, can I carry with my TN handgun carry permit (HCP)?

b. Does it have to be concealed?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I read all the content I could find on both links and I believe I found the answers to 1-4. I'm still unclear about #5. I still can't figure out whether or not I can carry.

Possession, transportation, or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows, or other weapons or

explosives (including fireworks) are prohibited except as authorized by hunting regulations or special permits.

Here is another link.

http://www.lbl.org/lei_orders/Order60-09-08.pdf

The above prohibited acts are set forth in Title 36 C.F.R, Section 261.

Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. 261.50(e) the following persons are exempt from the provisions of the above order.

1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act.

I emailed and this is what she responded with.

The Department of the Interior changed their concealed carry law a few years ago. This change does not apply to the Forest Service, as we are Department of Agriculture. The following CFR remains in effect at Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area.

Code of Federal Regulations concerning firearms on LBL. (CFR 261.53E)

Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons and going to and from the LBL Target Range. Firearms must be unloaded when transporting.

Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area Firearms Regulations

The jurisdictional issues and laws as they apply to LBL are a bit more specific since we have legislation localized to LBL. If there is a question, it is always best if a person checks with local information sources and/or authorities in advance of arrival, to ensure there is no confusion. This would be true for local state, and federal public lands.

Below is the information Forest Service Law Enforcement provides to the public in regards to possessing firearms at LBL NRA:

Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons by licensed hunters and going to and from the LBL NRA firearms range. Firearms must be cased and unloaded during transport.

Firearms possessed during legal hunting seasons by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber + magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle.

Concealed firearms carry permit does not apply to LBL NRA at this time, although the LE officers at LBL will honor the concealed carry permit if there are no other aggravating circumstances. Examples of aggravating circumstances are, but not limited to, violation of the concealed carry permit itself, shooting from a roadway, or shooting outside of the LBL firearms rangeâ€.

Regina

Have a Safe & Blessed 2012!

COME OUTSIDE AND PLAY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regina L. Roby

Information Assistant, Communication Services

Fire Dispatcher

USDA Forest Service

Land Between The Lakes

100 Van Morgan Dr.

Golden Pond, KY 42211

Ph: 270-924-2018 or 800-LBL-7077

Fx: 270-924-2087

Email: rroby@fs.fed.us

Web: www.lbl.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Live in such a way that those who know you,

but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you." - - Unknown

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ab28

LBL is beautiful, I go up there once in awhile and do that 65 mile north/south trail. It rains a lot, so pack some good raingear. I haven't been up there in awhile, though it is only about 3 hours away, just have been really busy lately.

Edited by ab28