Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting

With the advent and latest craze of "inline muzzleloaders", pyrocrap pellets and #209 primers....who still hunts with traditional "sidelock flint or nipple hugger" muzzleloaders?

I hunt with two flintlock handmade rifles. I built my own rifles (not kits) and one is a .36 cal for small game and a .50 for large game. I built both along the lines of PA Rifles. I hand make all my accroutements (or whatever that big word is), my own powderhorns, bags, patch knives and all. To me, that is my satisfaction just knowing that everything I hunt with I hand made. It's a feeling beyond compare when you harvest game with your own equipment!

I'll take some pictures and post them up as soon as I can.

Dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only long gun I own anymore is a .54 Mowrey percussion rifle, but yeah, I still hunt with it and all the accoutrements that go along with the care and feeding of 'er were hand made, mostly by me. Probably won't bother to post pics, mostly because this darn kidney stone is still kicking my butt and I just don't feel like going to that much trouble.

I will add that I owned an original (circa1832) double barrel 12 gauge percussion shotgun for many years, but gave it to my best friend in November of 2010 simply because it was too much gun to hunt with in East Tennessee.

...Don...

I give you credit for hunting with a traditional smokepole. I did when I was a kid and I had more trouble than success. When I was able to afford an inline, I got one and haven't looked back. When I went through Hunter's Safety course way back when, we had to load traditional muzzleloaders as part of the class. They barely discussed them when my daughter went through a few years back.

Guest cardcutter

Lyman Great plains Flint in 50. CVA Kentucky long rifle percusion in .45. A Dixie gun works cadet flint rifle in .40 .Plus around a half dozen or so pistols.

I kinda like the challenge. Not many can say they took thier first buck with a Kentucky long rifle.

Edited by cardcutter

Other than my longbows & recurves, it's all I hunt with anymore.

Lyman Great Plains .54 percussion, John Anderson longrifle again in .54 & an old Traditions Crockett in .32 (fer skwerls & sich)

I've made all my own accoutrements ; bag, horn, powder measures, ball blocks, short starts & I cast my own balls. Like fly fishing & traditional archery, it becomes more of an obsession than a hobby!

Guest cardcutter

"I've made all my own accoutrements ; bag, horn, powder measures, ball blocks, short starts & I cast my own balls. Like fly fishing & traditional archery, it becomes more of an obsession than a hobby! "

Thats the livin truth.

robtattoo & cardcutter - Ya'll just reminded me of a funny story:

Up home, in Kansas, I used to do a fair amount of living history fort Old Fort Hays Historic Site, primarily portraying either a fur trade era Western Mountain man or a post fur trade (Western Indian Wars) Civilian Army Scout. As a result, I was much interviewed by both newspaper and television. Well, me and the director of the site were always butting heads and he was always telling me that I shouldn't have said something in the particular way I said it and how I was supposed to abide by the rules and do things his way if I wanted to keep on coming out, etc...

And I remember one time in particular when I explained to a reporter that "Well, I certainly can't speak for everyone, but for me - and maybe others, too - this kinda' started out as a hobby because I was interested in history, then it became a passion. Then I woke up one morning and realized that it had become an obsession and I can't think of anything I'd rather do in my spare time than educate folks about what really happened back then and how it happened." And the director pulled me aside later and chewed my butt for using the word "obsession" because it "sounds a little too far out there." And I promised that I'd be more careful with my wording in the future when talking to the press. The next day was Saturday and there was big doin's going on at the Fort and damned if Bob (the director) didn't look straight into the local news camera and say. "Well, we've got some of the best living history docents and interpreters out here that you'll find anywhere in the country and I think with most of them, it probably started out as kind've a hobby and then, somewhere along the line, it turned into, well, almost an obsession..."

:P:lol:

southgate 40 cal flintlock for me

Nice! .40 always seemed like such an odd caliber to me. The ballistics are insane from what I've read!

is that a "Roland Southgate"? Beautiful!

Edited by wd-40

I have an inline, but sincew my son has shown some interest in muzzleloader hunting, he's taken it over. I now am back to carrying my Thonpson Renegade 50 caliber with double set triggers.

wd-40, I'd like to see the pics of the stuff you make. Have you ever considered making a powderhorn to sale?

I'll get some pics posted. I make them all the time but never really thought about selling any. I have a "matched set" of cow horns that came off one of my jersey cows. I'll start working on some pics.

I've been so close to getting into a muzzle loader many times. I just can't bring myself to do it. Now, if I could find a Whitworth and a matching mold for that hexagonal beauty, I'd dive in head first.

I always thought the Whitworth might be more friendly to me as I use a lot of wheel weights. Too hard for any other M/L I wonder if a harder bullet could be patched tight and run well in the whitworth since it doesn't have the need to obturate from pressure to engage the rifling.

Edited by Caster

I've been so close to getting into a muzzle loader many times. I just can't bring myself to do it. Now, if I could find a Whitworth and a matching mold for that hexagonal beauty, I'd dive in head first.

I always thought the Whitworth might be more friendly to me as I use a lot of wheel weights. Too hard for any other M/L I wonder if a harder bullet could be patched tight and run well in the whitworth since it doesn't have the need to obturate from pressure to engage the rifling.

Check Dixie Gun Works...

My main Powder Horn...

Horn001.jpg

Hand carved from a Ivory colored cow horn. And scrimshawed with a map from the Carolina Teritories to Clarks Settlement (Clarksville).

The heart which is carved from the main horn. The horn and heart is all one piece.

Horn005.jpg

My main horn and priming horn together.

Horn002.jpg

My shooting bag in which I made from canvas and stressed oiled leather.

074.jpg

It has a piece of patching greased with Wild Hog fat, a handmade brass powder measure (80 grains 3F) and my patch knife made of steel and browned to match my rifle barrel, and the handle I made from scrap left from my rifle stock.

The complete set...

bag001.jpg

The button on the bag is made from a hammered out .50 cal ball.

My "Turtle Shell Canteen"....

canteen001.jpg

Holds about 30 oz of liquid.

My fighting knife and my utility knife...

001.jpg

Don't mind the rust...it gives charactor! The top knife I forged from a leaf spring and used a Wild Pig "hambone" for the handle. The ruler is for sizing purposes.

This concludes "Show and Tell" for the moment!

Dave

Edited by wd-40
Guest ochretoe

Killed my first buck with a custom Lancaster style .50 cal. flintlock, plus almost every other deer I've killed. Lately I have moved on to a .64 cal flint smoothbore. Not as accurate but I have taken one buck and one doe with it. Because a friend built it for me it is my favorite gun. Light and easy to shoot.

The .64 flint smooth bore, is that about 28 guage? Or am I thinking .69 caliber?

I love "Flintlocks". I tell the guys I hunt with that if they lose their precussion caps in the field they are out of luck. You can almost always find a suitable piece of flint to use!

Dave

Guest ochretoe

The .64 flint smooth bore, is that about 28 guage? Or am I thinking .69 caliber?

I love "Flintlocks". I tell the guys I hunt with that if they lose their precussion caps in the field they are out of luck. You can almost always find a suitable piece of flint to use!

Dave

It's right around 20 Ga

Guest ochretoe

Oh yes! I have taken several squirrels and have even worked up a turkey load But no luck with turkeys. I have also worked up a dove load and plan to try it this fall.