now what is the downside

to owning a Glock.

All you Glock supporters have been chiming in, and I would say that most were not just full of coolade.

So lets hear the other point of view.

Whats the downside to owning a Glock?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It prevents you from buying a SIG.

There isn't any. The Glock wont work for a certain number of people. And they'll figure out who they are.

Only real downside is for someone with poor gun handling skills. Glocks dont do well with that and tend to be unforgiving, like shooting people in the butt.

Its kind of been said already I think. Glocks don't fit everyone, but then again no gun does. I don't particularly care for the Glock safety when it comes to having my children around. I do put them away and they have been taught, but there's always a chance and they can pull that trigger even at the age of 5.

Glocks have better accuracy than the vast majority of people will be able to get out of them. Their accuracy though isn't the best in the industry, but a combat pistol isn't supposed to be as accurate as some styles. You sacrifice for reliability. Even still my Glocks are not as accurate as my HK's, but with the lower bore sight radius I do shoot my Glock as well as my Sig. Sigs though are inherently more accurate in equal hands IMO, IF the Sig is practiced often. And even that may be that they just fit me better and for some they could shoot the Glock better. I know of several people who can beat me every day of the week with their Glock and my Sig. Hell they could probably beat me with my own Sig for that matter. So much of this is preference and discrimination on the part of any particular shooter.

To be honest I am kind of ambivalent my Glocks. They are great for certain things. If I am going hunting for a week I will carry one as a sidearm, I won't worry about it sitting in a holster for a week w/o being babied. I neither love Glocks as a be all end al nor do I understand their rancor. I find that some of the guns that have come after in their vein such as the XD are excellent, which is better is probably a matter of choice. Some of the makes are simply not near as good as Glock. In a way it is silly to boast one gun is the be all end all or to suggest that its just horrible and a matter of marketing and that hey are the evil big kid bullying everybody else. IMO the more you shoot, the more different things you own, the less likely you are to suggest one thing is the be all end all for everyone. I find that usually comes from immaturity and/or lack of experience. People read too many magazines and buy into hype one way or the other.

Edited by Warbird

For one...they are ugly. But this is in the eye of the beholder

Second...they are very utilitarian. You will feel proud handing down your Marlin 39A, Ruger Single Six, or Remington 700bdl to your grandchildren. A Glock has no more nostalgia than giving them a pipe wrench.

Third...they don't fit everyone's hand very well. You can learn to shoot them like a pro, but for many this won't come natural.

Lastly...some people can't get over the lack of a digital (on/off) safety or the fact that you have to pull the trigger to take it apart. It doesn't have to be that way because many of the European product that Glock sells do have an actual on/off safety...however when you think about it it really isn't any different than a double action revolver.

Guest Verbal Kint
For one...they are ugly. But this is in the eye of the beholder

Second...they are very utilitarian. You will feel proud handing down your Marlin 39A, Ruger Single Six, or Remington 700bdl to your grandchildren. A Glock has no more nostalgia than giving them a pipe wrench.

Third...they don't fit everyone's hand very well. You can learn to shoot them like a pro, but for many this won't come natural.

Lastly...some people can't get over the lack of a digital (on/off) safety or the fact that you have to pull the trigger to take it apart. It doesn't have to be that way because many of the European product that Glock sells do have an actual on/off safety...however when you think about it it really isn't any different than a double action revolver.

+1

Well said. :up:

Guest db99wj

The downside is that it didn't fit my hand as well. That is why I went with the XD and the XD seems to be just as reliable.

• Administrator

The perceived downsides are also the perceived strengths depending on who you talk to.

1. Lack of a manual safety.

2. Utilitarian design; not pretty to look at.

3. Chunky grip; odd grip angle.

I prefer the lack of a manual safety. This isn't a ****ing toy; it's a gun. If your finger is on the trigger you should be ready for it to go BANG. If you're not wanting it to go BANG, then your ****ing finger shouldn't be on the ****ing trigger. Basic rule of gun safety!

Utilitarian design? Sign me up! Look at what I drive; an F250 Diesel truck. Sure I think it's pretty but it's also a behemoth meant to go anywhere, anytime and over anyone in it's way. I like my carry guns the same way I like my trucks. Ugly, brutish beasts that you can abuse the hell out of and they still come back asking for more. Yeah, I have a sentimental soft spot for my Wilson Combat 1911 and I think it's a dead sexy beast, but if you want to see a grown man cry, be there if I ever accidentally drop it on concrete and scuff it up.

The Glock's utilitarian design stems from it's simplicity. There's not much that can go wrong with them. I'm not looking to fire reloads or high pressure factory rounds through it so I don't anticipate it turning into a fragmentation grenade anytime soon. I do anticipate it working every time I pull the trigger unless there's a dud round in the chamber. Then it's time for a tap, rack, bang drill the same as it is with any gun.

The chunky grip works well even for a small-handed shooter if they're shooting via the "modern method" with both hands on the grip, thumbs forward. People who complain about large grip circumference are trying to wrap their entire strong hand around the gun.

The odd grip angle really doesn't phase me. Sure it's not the same as my 1911 but it does pre-load the wrist against the torque of the recoil operation. The more folks I see limp wristing guns, the more I think that Gaston may have been onto something when he went with the grip angle that he did. It forces you to lock your wrist.

But again, those are also all cons depending on who you talk to. :up:

I haven't drank any Kool Aid in a long time, but my thoughts on what I need from a carry / fighting pistol have evolved slightly over the past two years.

Guest db99wj
The perceived downsides are also the perceived strengths depending on who you talk to.

I prefer the lack of a manual safety. This isn't a ****ing toy; it's a gun. If your finger is on the trigger you should be ready for it to go BANG. If you're not wanting it to go BANG, then your ****ing finger shouldn't be on the ****ing trigger. Basic rule of gun safety!

Utilitarian design? Sign me up! Look at what I drive; an F250 Diesel truck. Sure I think it's pretty but it's also a behemoth meant to go anywhere, anytime and over anyone in it's way. I like my carry guns the same way I like my trucks. Ugly, brutish beasts that you can abuse the hell out of and they still come back asking for more. Yeah, I have a sentimental soft spot for my Wilson Combat 1911 and I think it's a dead sexy beast, but if you want to see a grown man cry, be there if I ever accidentally drop it on concrete and scuff it up.

The Glock's utilitarian design stems from it's simplicity. There's not much that can go wrong with them. I'm not looking to fire reloads or high pressure factory rounds through it so I don't anticipate it turning into a fragmentation grenade anytime soon. I do anticipate it working every time I pull the trigger unless there's a dud round in the chamber. Then it's time for a tap, rack, bang drill the same as it is with any gun.

The chunky grip works well even for a small-handed shooter if they're shooting via the "modern method" with both hands on the grip, thumbs forward. People who complain about large grip circumference are trying to wrap their entire strong hand around the gun.

The odd grip angle really doesn't phase me. Sure it's not the same as my 1911 but it does pre-load the wrist against the torque of the recoil operation. The more folks I see limp wristing guns, the more I think that Gaston may have been onto something when he went with the grip angle that he did. It forces you to lock your wrist.

But again, those are also all cons depending on who you talk to. ;)

I haven't drank any Kool Aid in a long time, but my thoughts on what I need from a carry / fighting pistol have evolved slightly over the past two years.

The part in red, one of the best statements ever!

I use the "modern method, both thumbs point forward toward the point of aim and it feels big for my hands. I do, however, believe it would take about 200 rounds to get over that. The XD just felt a lot better and is why I chose it over a Glock. I shot the glocks fine, accuracy was not an issue. I have picked up a Para that was double stack and a STI that was double stack, it felt "weird" like the glock to me, but as I said, it wouldn't take to many rounds to get over it.

But again, those are also all cons depending on who you talk to. ;)

+1

Personally I don't like them. The reason for that is personal perception:

1. Ugly

2. I hate the grip angle

3. they can go off. I know, not if you keep your finger off the trigger, but....it happens.

4. Polygonal rifling. I just don't think it outweighs the cons.

5. The Glock Nation. This is perhaps the biggest for me. Maybe it's a little picky, but to me it's like when in High School everyone is saying what the best shoe is and if you don't have them you are somehow inferior. Glocks seem to be the popular crowd and I tend to like things that go against the grain as long as it's quality.

For instance start a Glock thread and state a negative, the koolaid drinkers will come out in force. Right or wrong this just irritates me. Every gun has pro's and con's.

Just my .02

Guest dwrd

When my friend was shopping for his carry gun, he was between a G26, and the XD-9. The grip angle is what made him end up with the XD. When he brought them up to fire, he felt himself having to angle the nose down some on the glock, where the XD lined up directly for him.

I own Glocks, and I try not to get involved in the Glock is better than the rest of the world discussions. To each their own. Get what you shoot well with, or what you have always wanted to own if it isn't for daily carry. Sling is my coworker, and he and I give each other hell about our guns all of the time. He shoots my guns at the range, I shoot his. At the end of the day, we both own what we shoot well with.

Guest sling

Sling is my coworker, and he and I give each other hell about our guns all of the time. He shoots my guns at the range, I shoot his. At the end of the day, we both own what we shoot well with.

Nuff said. He pets and strokes his glocks and I pet and stroke my HK's. It all comes down to personal preference. Whatever feels best for you.

Almost how dwrd scrambles on the concrete floor at stones river picking up .40 smith brass he'll never reload. ;)

• Administrator

5. The Glock Nation. This is perhaps the biggest for me. Maybe it's a little picky, but to me it's like when in High School everyone is saying what the best shoe is and if you don't have them you are somehow inferior. Glocks seem to be the popular crowd and I tend to like things that go against the grain as long as it's quality.

I hate cliques no matter what the particular focal point is. I've owned Mustangs for the past 10 years and recently got out of that habit. When I had them, I really never wanted to be part of a "Mustang Club" because of the rabid, foaming at the mouth way some of the owners championed them against every other car made.

I hate hanging around 90% of the Information Technology people out there because there seems to be a driving urge among them to constantly measure each other's e-dicks with the unit of measure being how much you know about the latest bleeding edge tech that still has no applicable use in the business world.

I've joking referred to the 1911 as being God's Chosen Firearm because John Moses Browning received the first ever from a burning bush, but frankly I get tired of the 1911 superiority claims from that camp as well. Yes they DO seriously ****ing rock, but 1911s aren't the end all, be all of the firearms world. Heresy? I think not. Even JMB went on to design more modern derivatives of it. :P

Cliques suck. Pick the firearm that you like the best, shoot the best, and carry the most. Then shoot it and carry it religiously. THAT is the best firearm for YOU.

But it really should say Glock on it. ;)

I keed, I keed. :cool:

Guest GLOCKGUY
Personally I don't like them. The reason for that is personal perception:

1. Ugly

2. I hate the grip angle

3. they can go off. I know, not if you keep your finger off the trigger, but....it happens.

4. Polygonal rifling. I just don't think it outweighs the cons.

For instance start a Glock thread and state a negative, the koolaid drinkers will come out in force. Right or wrong this just irritates me. Every gun has pro's and con's.

Just my .02

come on nsnate02 you know you want to come over to the dark side. :)

Guest sling
I

I hate hanging around 90% of the Information Technology people out there because there seems to be a driving urge among them to constantly measure each other's e-dicks with the unit of measure being how much you know about the latest bleeding edge tech that still has no applicable use in the business world.

You too eh? Welcome to the club. :)

Reminds me of when i worked for HCA...

• Administrator
You too eh? Welcome to the club. :)

Reminds me of when i worked for HCA...

Sorry to hear that you were with HCA. Ever. I have friends who worked IT for HCA hospitals in the past and they said it was maddeningly difficult to get very much accomplished and everything pushed down from "on high" was counter intuitive to the direction that each Line Of Business was really taking.

I'm still hoping that one of these days I'll get back into a larger environment where they are actually doing cool stuff with tech again. I had that when I worked for First American National Bank, but when they sold out to AmSouth I knew it was time to go. Their mantra was "A green screen on every desk".

:)

Guest db99wj
Sorry to hear that you were with HCA. Ever. I have friends who worked IT for HCA hospitals in the past and they said it was maddeningly difficult to get very much accomplished and everything pushed down from "on high" was counter intuitive to the direction that each Line Of Business was really taking.

I'm still hoping that one of these days I'll get back into a larger environment where they are actually doing cool stuff with tech again. I had that when I worked for First American National Bank, but when they sold out to AmSouth I knew it was time to go. Their mantra was "A green screen on every desk".

:)

Hey, the "darkside" was highly innovative!

My opinion of the downsides:

The WORST sights put on a "major manufacturer" combat pistol in about 75 years. Seriously... why does Glock do this? I've had several Glocks come from the factory with the front sight rattling around in the box. I firmly beleive that the tritium sight industry got a huge boost in the 90s because so many Glocks had to have sights replaced anyway.

The ergonomics are horrible. The grip angle was obviously designed with the paradigm of shovels, knives, and other hand tools (where Gaston should have stayed), with no though to how the human hand works while using a pistol. The magazine release is bad, and the slide release is even worse (the two parts other than sights that most Glock owners replace). Glock even goes so far as to use their training (read: marketing) department to teach shooters not to use the slide release to close the slide, and then putting an improved part on their "Tactical" models.

The trigger is lousy... but then again, lousy triggers are "in" these days. Sure, the reset is great, but that just means you get to deal with the water-gun trigger again that much faster. :up:

That's the three big ones for me. I don't put too much stock in the safety issues (a big enough idiot can shoot himself in the butt with anything), or the KB issues (the same big idiot can also blow anything up... although I do have to admit that the initial run of .40 guns were rushed into production and were deathtraps.) They might survive a dip in an active volcano, but I still won't like it when it comes out. :whistle:

DanO

Guest sling

:up:

I worked at the Corporate offices downtown on Park Plaza by Centennial...

It was ok I suppose...

Working in network sec was always interesting but oftentimes i felt that the work load and expanse of the network was a tad bit too much for the small amount of staff in that dept. Anyways, back to the topic.