New Kind of 10/22

Archangel Target Stock

Tactical Innovations threaded 1:9 twist barrel

PWS T3 Summit toggle action

Millet 3MOA Red Dot

Homebrew trigger group

Test fired this today with a YHM suppressor in an undisclosed location and got 12 thumbs up from six experienced shooters use Gemtech subsonics, CCI Quiet and 60 grain Aguila SSS (Super Colibras wont work, they are too short for the 10/22 magazine).

This is one fun shooting rifle and very quiet.

PWSToggle1022b.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolomite,

You will like the action. It is very professinally made. Slick as snot but may need to get broken in to get fast. The combo of the stock grip and the length of my index finger don't allow me to action the toggle with one finger with a shooting grip, like you see Biathletes use a true Fortner(sp?) action.

You adjust the bolt lock with barrel shims that PWS sends with the receiver. I have other semi auto 22s that are as accurate as your off the shelf 1022- so if I had the cash I would convert all my 10/22s to that action. It opens up so many more possibilities and I think a pro could come up with a precise headspace with a specific ammo. I may be wrong but I think a person who can do bolt headspacing, barrel setbacks,rechambering and good crowns might be able to truly build there own Anschutz 2013? level rifle with this receiver. If I were a hobby machinist with mill and lathe and know how, I would give it a crack - using the V-block, a torch and some dry ice! The more I read about threaded 10/22 receivers the less enamored I am with them - they limit guys like me.

Yeah, rather than using shims to set headspace I have the shoulder or breech trimmer for a precise fit. And do it with a specific brand of ammunition in mind because most brands have different rim thicknesses. Nothing really wrong with the shims but anytime you have junctions it can cause inconsistencies. This is why a lot of the "professional" 10/22 shooters use epoxy or sleeve retainer to lock the barrel into the receiver then they epoxy the action into the stock.

I can't imagine a quicker and quiter platform other than a pump or a lever gun. But with either of those you aren't going to find the aftermarket support that the 10/22 has. I have been looking for a junker lever 22 to thread.

Dolomite

That is a nice looking setup. Forgive my ignorance, though, but what is a 'toggle bolt' action? I Googled it but couldn't find a good explanation. Does it basically convert the rifle into a straight pull bolt action?

could the stock ruger 10/22 action and barrel be transferred to the stock?? would like to look into swapping into something like that...

***nevermind....i used this new thing i discovered called google....***
Edited by jacob

I enjoyed shooting this Craig, I just have to remember not to put my sausages in the way of the toggle when closing. My trigger finger wasn't too happy with me. It was a great shooting rifle and held some extremely tight groups with the suppressor from the off-hand position....then again it was me shooting it. :whistle:

I originally wanted to put my yet to arrive Urban Rifle Supply 29" barrel on this rig, but I think I will keep it as is with the 1:9 Tactical Innovations threaded barrel and finally belly up to getting a suppressor of my own. I'll cobble together another 10/22 with the 29" barrel and iron aperture set-up.

That is all I need to hear.

I wonder where I can hide the stock my wife won't find it.

On your rifle. :)

Or get her something nice and say you ordered it at the same time as the stock. She will forget about the stock comletely. It works really well if her item is a bit shiny.

Dolomite

Crazy fun rifle. Shot it again today supressed on a private range where we shot all sizes of steel set up at various distances and angles out to 150 yards with a target field about 50 yards wide. That little Millet dot and that Tac Sol 1:9 twist on that stock is way cool. Quiet! Very fast handling rifle but with enough weight for good offhand shooting, rapidly transtitioning from 25, 50, 75 to 150 yrds from (some holdover with subsonics). It may be fun to bag this one at 50 yrds just for giggles. Had 3 good shooting Wounded Warriors and active GI shooting this with me today. What really shocked them was how much recoil the Diamondback DB9 had and how easy it was to shoot my 6" heavy shroud DW .357. I have to say after owning 40 or 50 or more .22 rifles and I can't count how many 10/22s in various guises, this one with the Fortner manually operated PWS T3 bolt is way way my favorite in the pictured set-up. I'm not changing a thing with this one - ever. When my 29" 10/22 barrel gets here I am going to build a new gun around that. Now I have to get that Silincerco Sparrow suppressor.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to try out my toggle lever 10/22 using Colibras again today. I put a LR in a 1022 10 rd mag today first and 9 Colibras after. The Colibras cycled perfectly. So now I will epoxy a .22lr snap cap in a 10/22 magazine and call it a day. I think you should get a Primary Weapon System T3 receiver and build a nice, "do everything" "10/22."

With the10/22 aftermarket available in triggers and barrels the PWS receiver makes sense for those of us who don't care about fast shooting but are interested in tinker toying our own rifles to fit our specific needs. I need to start shooting this PWS T3 receiver for groups instead of just for fun just to see what it can do.

Edited by graycrait