Heads up: Taurus Judge on sale

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never buy it for self defense or concealment.

But for fun it should work. Imagine showing up at a trap shoot with one, it would raise a lot fo eyebrows. And as a 45 LC it can be a formidable defensive piece if it wasn't so big. What ruins a 410 pistol, especially this one, is the rifling. It causes the patterns to be in feet. If it was a dedicated 410 pistol with a choked smooth bore it would be a much better gun.

Dolomite

It seems to me these would make excellent camp guns. 410 for snakes and aggressive varmits, 45 colt for the larger or two legged problems. Add the fact that these would definitely qualify as one of those things to own just for the fun of it, plus the sale and I think it's a winner.

Just for the sake of conversation, what would it take to get rid of the rifling in one? Could they be theoretically drilled out to make it a smooth bore? Legally? How about just the last little bit at the muzzle, would that work as a "choke" without ruining the accuracy for the .45?

Could they be theoretically drilled out to make it a smooth bore? Legally? How about just the last little bit at the muzzle, would that work as a "choke" without ruining the accuracy for the .45?

Refer to post #5

They say it has to have a rifled bore. How about a .45 smooth bore then have the muzzle rifled .499 bore. That way the rifling will not upset the shot cup.

Dolomite

That could work.

Also, a "Devil May Care" type soul could also lathe turn some hard bronze or even mild steel bullets in 45 caliber, I'd say .453-.454 and shoot a whole bunch of them.

The law states it has to be a rifled barrel, there's no law I am aware of that states you must replace a barrel once it's worn out. Boring the barrel would fall under the category of modification, but accelerated wear from uncouth reloading practices isn't a crime.

AND an AOW :up:

Well that answers the legality question up to a point. But would the powers that be allow that particular weapon to be made? Sorry for not being clearer on that. It seems so, but having never seen one I kind of wonder. A quick googling revealed a lot of people asking the question and what seemed to be others speculating to the answer.

I know virtually nothing about shotguns and chokes and such so I am very much curious, would smoothing out just say the last 2.5" maybe even boring it out a bit larger than rifling work to keep the .45 somewhat accurate while allowing the shot to hit the smooth walls?

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just a little confused on how these things work.

Also saw one other idea not yet discussed on this thread, straight rifling. Any thoughts?

Just picked up the 3" Judge, shoots the 410, the 45 Lc and the 454. Gonna be fun

Casull? really? When'd they start makin one that'll take a .454? That's awesome.

If it's strong enough for that then we have a WHOLE new ballgame fellas. Think, .454 case and a 500g .458 cast bullet sized back to just over groove diameter. SSS, Super Short Sharps!

Casull? really? When'd they start makin one that'll take a .454? That's awesome.

If it's strong enough for that then we have a WHOLE new ballgame fellas. Think, .454 case and a 500g .458 cast bullet sized back to just over groove diameter. SSS, Super Short Sharps! It would support a SERIOUSLY long bullet!

You know what I would really like to see. A break top version of the Judge. I would find that gun so much more appealing to me. I have always been a huge fan of the break tops. As a matter of fact if they weren't impossible to find and so expensive I would love to own the break top NAA mini revolver.

Dolomite

You know what I would really like to see. A break top version of the Judge. I would find that gun so much more appealing to me. I have always been a huge fan of the break tops. As a matter of fact if they weren't impossible to find and so expensive I would love to own the break top NAA mini revolver.

Dolomite

Like the Webley revolvers? A guy I know had one in .45 acp that he was trying to sell but I passed on it because I didn't have the money.

Like the Webley revolvers? A guy I know had one in .45 acp that he was trying to sell but I passed on it because I didn't have the money.

You were wise to pass on that one. Webley's were originally designed for the lower pressure .455 Webley round. Although many were converted to use .45 acp with moon clips and may be seen a steady diet of the higher pressure acp rounds, they're kind of like a ticking time bomb.

I agree with Dolomite on the NAA break-top. That's just about the neatest little pistol that's come out in the past few years.

Edited by Garufa
Guest Aces&8s

I wonder why Taurus has not fitted the Judge for a screw in choke. I bought my dad a Super Comanche, a single-shot .410 / .45 Colt pistol that comes with two chokes: one rifled and one smooth. Using the smooth choke, PDX-1 shells will put all three discs in a fist-sized circle at 15 yards, with the BBs spreading out in a circle about the size of a volleyball. It is very accurate with .45 Colt, as well, but then it does have a 10" barrel, unlike the Judge. If you can do it with one pistol, I fail to see why the Judge should be different... I suppose it would make it less accurate with mixed loads (ie., three shot shells followed by three .45 Colt cartridges), but then from my experience with the Judge, it is not all that great with either in its current form.

Still, they are fun to shoot clays with, and this is a good price...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adamparker86

my friends dad had a super comanche,they are pretty nice. he tryed to hunt small,game with it vut didnt have any luck personally