Why ambi uncomfortable?

Guest Nologic

Guest Nologic

I'm new to this forum but not new to firearms and carry. I've been CC for about 8 months now and only recently have been trying OC. Usually only while doing the normal runs around town. Kroger, Walmart, Gas stations, etc.

I still feel very uncomfortable OC. Really it's no different than carrying concealed, I'm still carrying regardless.

I would like to get opinions from others who OC often. What I don't want is reasons not to OC. I know the pros and cons of both but would just appreciate some input on this.

Brandon

I still feel very uncomfortable OC. Really it's no different than carrying concealed, I'm still carrying regardless.

Well, they are NOT the same. If properly concealed, no one is looking at you funny in public. That LOOK from other people is a big part of being comfortable, and a big deal with open carry. People, in general, no longer see a person with a gun as NORMAL, they see a THREAT and you have to make your own inner peace with the hassle of being looked at funny, having the cops called on you, being asked to leave places, and more when you OC.

It is also not the same defensively. OC, the bad guy sees your gun and knows where it is, and that you have it. He can now prepare to take your gun from you from ambush, and formulate a plan to deal with you (or leave you alone in search of other prey).

CC, the only thing keeping you from being comfortable is your own mental state. No one knows but you.

I have never, even the first few days, been really uncomfortable with CC. I tried OC just a few times and it was very awkward for me, the stares and questions and all made me as jumpy as beavis on halloween.

Guest Nologic

I would like to get comfortable doing both. I prefer CC but I am just wondering what it takes to become more comfortable with OC.

As Jonnin said, as long as you feel selfconscious & need to ask the question you asked, you'll never

feel comfortable OCing. If you can handle the public scrutiny & hassle that goes with it, you're ok. It's

legal. You can field opinions & advice, but the end result is in your court.

JMHO

The more I OC, the more comfortable I feel with it and the more I realize people aren't really staring at me. It feels like it at first, and yeah some notice, but when they do they generally don't care. Keep doing it and you'll feel more comfortable with it. And yes, do be prepared to answer questions from people. Even though I assume you're not OCing to make a political statement, it doesn't hurt to educate folks when the opportunity arises. Countless people have been encouraged to purchase/carry a defensive firearm based on the knowledge that other people do it too. Carry on!

Guest Nologic

The more I OC, the more comfortable I feel with it and the more I realize people aren't really staring at me. It feels like it at first, and yeah some notice, but when they do they generally don't care. Keep doing it and you'll feel more comfortable with it. And yes, do be prepared to answer questions from people. Even though I assume you're not OCing to make a political statement, it doesn't hurt to educate folks when the opportunity arises. Countless people have been encouraged to purchase/carry a defensive firearm based on the knowledge that other people do it too. Carry on!

This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for! Thank you! Are you from Clarksville area?

I'm not uncomfy carrying openly, I just don't want the attention.

I don't even want "good" attention, like between fellow carriers, folks who you can educate about handgun laws, 2A, etc etc.

I don't want any attention at all related to a heater on me.

- OS

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Same way when I carry...No Body, I MEAN NOBODY needs to know I have "Toad" on me, unless the case arises.....I ain't gonna have to fight for my weapon, I'm not gonna be the first target ect., ect.. I'm no "Girly Man" by any means, but I don't want to have to fight some nappy head over my handgun. I prefer the element of surprise!

Dave