Kayak Fishing?

Would love to have a fishing kayak, but there are other things I need to buy first. So I'll settle for my canoe - It's not quite as portable and I can't hit the big fast water like you lucky kayakers, but it's stable and I can haul 2 people and 300 plus pounds of gear so I guess I'll stay with what I've got.

Oh, and you canoe guys who haven't yet invested in a canoe cart would be well advised to check 'em out - if I can find a pic of mine, I'll post it a little later.

Edited by Timestepper
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just asinine! You've made a blanket statement - without bothering to toss in any qualifiers - that could potentially get some damned fool into serious trouble! (I can see it now: "What were you thinking, taking a 17' Adirondack canoe into class IV rapids?!!!" Well, some guy on TGO said I could!")

Depending upon the canoe, yes, you can go 99% of the places you can take a kayak . But pardon me for not wanting to take a 16' flat bottomed, keeled canoe into the same water as that guy in your pic. Sorry, I just value my @ss too much to see it broken into a jillion little pieces of fish food. :mad:

That's just asinine! You've made a blanket statement - without bothering to toss in any qualifiers - that could potentially get some damned fool into serious trouble! (I can see it now: "What were you thinking, taking a 17' Adirondack canoe into class IV rapids?!!!" Well, some guy on TGO said I could!")

Depending upon the canoe, yes, you can go 99% of the places you can take a kayak . But pardon me for not wanting to take a 16' flat bottomed, keeled canoe into the same water as that guy in your pic. Sorry, I just value my @ss too much to see it broken into a jillion little pieces of fish food. :mad:

lol.

• Admin Team

Timestepper's right. There is a big difference between a flat water, keeled canoe and a whitewater canoe with float bags. There's a lot a power in running water.

Always ensure that your equipment and your experience match your expectations. Anything less is asking for trouble.

Timestepper's right. There is a big difference between a flat water, keeled canoe and a whitewater canoe with float bags. There's a lot a power in running water.

Always ensure that your equipment and your experience match your expectations. Anything less is asking for trouble.

No doubt you use the correct equipment and I could understand him blowing a gasket had I posted a pic of a flatwater boat, but com on. I aint a mom.

If a person is foolish enough to follow a jeep with a Cadillac, they get what they get. That said, I know folks who have taken grumans down class IVs. Even SUPs! :D

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Admin Team

Oh, I popped a lot of rivets in my misspent youth. Grummans. Colemans. Old Mohawks. As don Rumsfeld was always fond of saying, "you go to war with the army you have."

Interestingly, I've made some big runs over the years in an old strip planked, canvas covered boat. It's amazing how resilient a lot of those old boats are. In my mind , the use of aluminum to build canoes is a bit of an abomination. Really, it's not been until the advent of the modern roto molded boats that we've gotten boats that rival the performance of wood. And even then they're kind of soulless.

Combine wood with modern fiberglass and Kevlar and you've got a great boat.

I'll give the roto boats some credit, though. Someone folded one of my SUPs in half around a rock last year. I pulled it off, made sure the drain plug was tight, put it out in the sun and watched it pop back into shape.

not me but ive heard of this in florida several times and thought it was crazy.

kayak-marlin.jpg

That is awesome! I have read quite a bit about kayak fishing in the bays of Alaska, and have always thought that would be an incredible experience.

Edited by Good_Steward

No doubt you use the correct equipment and I could understand him blowing a gasket had I posted a pic of a flatwater boat, but com on. I aint a mom.

If a person is foolish enough to follow a jeep with a Cadillac, they get what they get. That said, I know folks who have taken grumans down class IVs. Even SUPs! :D

There were two reasons I blew a gasket. 1st, Someday the pic will be gone but the words will still be there and some inexperienced moron will undoubtedly come across them and think that he can do it.(I lost good friend to precisely that kind of stupidity several years ago.) 2nd, I have been fighting a kidney stone this week and gradually losing the battle (just got home from a 7 hour stint in the E.R.), so what I might have just ordinarily blown off prompted a rather overblown response. Even snapped at a couple of people here that I respect immensely, just because I felt so damn lousy that all logic, reasoning and manners on my part seemed to go right out the window.

And yeah, I'll concede the point that super sick water can navigated with absolutely the wrong equipment - hell, I floated part of the Grand Canyon in an innertube when I was like 17 or something - but, just 'cause it can be don't mean it should be. ;)

There were two reasons I blew a gasket. 1st, Someday the pic will be gone but the words will still be there and some inexperienced moron will undoubtedly come across them and think that he can do it.(I lost good friend to precisely that kind of stupidity several years ago.) 2nd, I have been fighting a kidney stone this week and gradually losing the battle (just got home from a 7 hour stint in the E.R.), so what I might have just ordinarily blown off prompted a rather overblown response. Even snapped at a couple of people here that I respect immensely, just because I felt so damn lousy that all logic, reasoning and manners on my part seemed to go right out the window.

And yeah, I'll concede the point that super sick water can navigated with absolutely the wrong equipment - hell, I floated part of the Grand Canyon in an innertube when I was like 17 or something - but, just 'cause it can be don't mean it should be. ;)

We forgive ya brother...We understand!

Dave

Please report back after the weekend and let us know how you like it.

I will for sure! I'm headed to the Duck River right now with about 10 others. Should be out there for about 5 hrs. I'm taking my GoPro with me so I should have some good video!!