Kayak Fishing?

So I'm about to purchase my first kayak. I'm gonna pick up the Ascend FS10 Angler Camo Kayak from Bass Pro. Was wondering if anyone else kayak fishes? Me and a buddy are gonna head out to Old Hickory Sat morning and test it out!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm about to purchase my first kayak. I'm gonna pick up the Ascend FS10 Angler Camo Kayak from Bass Pro. Was wondering if anyone else kayak fishes? Me and a buddy are gonna head out to Old Hickory Sat morning and test it out!

I've never fished from a kayak, but do fish from a canoe when I'm not in my B/B. Not sure how to make a kayak work...lol

I see alot of people kayaking while I'm out fishing LBL. They do look fun!

Edited by wd-40

I fish from a stand up paddle board a lot. It's good simple fun. You can get a lot of places other boats cannot.

OK...what is a "paddle board"? Surf board? Look out google here I come!

That looks pretty good. When you said "kayak", I pictured one with the itty bitty hole you sit in. This one you show looks comfortable to fish from.

Yea that's what I thought when I first heard of using them to fish also. There's some crazy videos on YouTube of how people rig these things up. They even put depth finders on them....

I have been reluctant to try a kayak. I saw some kayaks on a white water rafting trip and they seemed unstable, but that is a whole different type of water. I have done a canoe and it is probably similar. Good luck!

Ok, I googled it. You actualy fish off that thing? That looks just like something I would fall off of and bust my can! TLRMADE wanting a Kayak is a pretty good idea.

Fellow canoeist; believe it or not, they take those SUPs down the ocoee over here.

I kayak fish every chance I get. I have an old 12 ft dagger kayak. Its slow and stable so it serves my purpose.

Its harder to cast/fish from a kayak than a canoe, but its easier to land fish, b/c you are so close to the water.

If money weren't an issue i'd have a hobie with peddle drive.

I took my SUP on a three day trip down big south fork last fall. Devil's Jump was the biggest rapid I ran.

Caught a bunch of small mouth and a monster brown trout.

Wow, that's got a pretty good undercut rock. Was it at the higher water level class III or lower water level class IV?

• Admin Team

Water was about 350CFM, so it was in low Class IV range. I was on a YOLOYak, which is a heavy duty rotomolded board without a skeg. It has so much flotation, that I shot through there like the devil was out to get me. I can get so far back on the board that by the time I went over the jump, the front end of my board was already out of the rapid.

The other benefit of a SUP is that the paddle is 7 feet long. You can really get some leverage with such a long moment arm.

I fished from a kayak a good bit in Florida on the flats. I used a sit on top and didn't have much trouble at all. The sit in kayaks are a little more stable and keep you dryer. The one you are looking at looks nice. Sit in it and make sure you have good back support for a long day of fishing. In Tennessee, I float a lot of rivers, but mostly canoe. I like to get out of the boat and fish.

If you are planning to fish mostly on the larger reservoirs, I'd take a look at a canoe just for the additional space, capacity and comfort.

You can always rent a kayak before you buy to make sure it's what you want.

I've been kayak fishing off and on for about 5 years. It's nice to be able to go where my boat can't. I have a Heritage 11' Feather lite. It has a rod holder and drink holders and things that make it a little more comfortable. I've got two other kayaks bit this one is the only one I fish from. I fish mostly on the Duck river in eastern Maury county. a6f84429-4b34-f37c.jpg

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

• Admin Team

Depends on what you're going to do with it.

But, as a general rule sit on tips are probably a little better suited to fishing, as they're self-bailing. SIt ins are fair weather craft without a spray skirt, and fishing is a wet sport.

If you're ever going to fish out in the surf, you'll want a sit on top.

Sit ins are really for whitewater where you want the low center of gravity and closed cockpit, and for flat water where you don't plan to get wet.

I have been a whitewater kayaker for over 30 years. East Tennessee has some of the best whitewater kayaking in the world. Some of the best fishing spots I have seen were on the Obed, Daddy's Creek and Clear Creek near Wartburg. A fishing kayak would be perfect for getting in to inaccessably places that are rarely fished. Places that are class II or less. If you have an adventerous spirit you can have a great time in a fishing kayak. Do an overnighter on the Obed River from Nemo to Oakdale. Emerald Green water full of Small Mouth and big Cats.