9mm AR Upper

Can anyone recommend an AR upper chambered in 9mm? I was at Guns and Ammo and they have a CMMG upper for $579 that I am interested in but wanted to hear some opinions first. Anyone have a CMMG upper? I would like one threaded 1/2 x 28 for use with a suppressor.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Identify what kind of magazines you want to run - Colt or Glock. Colt mags are the current standard and will run in most everybody's uppers and lowers. If you want to use Glock mags, Lone Wolf makes a lower that will accept any Colt-style upper, but requires bolt modification ($35). Colt mags are the standard from what I've found. I've been looking into the same sort of build.
  2. Make sure you are aware of your NFA responsibilities
  3. Our forum expert on 9mm ARs, among many other things, is Dolomite_Supafly. Search his posts on this forum regarding 9mm ARs and you'll find tons of information.

CMMG uppers are probably as good as any others out there. There are a couple of different types of uppers.

I will say that when it comes to lowers you need to make some decisions. For lowers that use Colt or modified UZI mags there are a few different options. CMMG makes a dedicated 9mm lower with the mag block machined into the lower. This lower is a 9mm only and will not work with 5.56. With a standard 5.56 lower there are a few different styles of mag blocks for use with Colt style mags.

The dedicated magblock drops in from the top and is held in place by the bolt stop. It is impossible for the magblock to fall out. This is considered a permanent mag block because it requires some work to remove. It uses standard Colt mags or modified UZI mags. WIth the UZI mags the bolt hold open will not work.

Another style of magblock is the bottom loading removeable type. This one is pushed up through the bottom and held in place with a friction type setscrew arrangement. This one is not considered permanent but it does have a drawback. They can work loose and fall out when it is not expected. It also uses standard Colt mags or modified UZI mags. WIth the UZI mags the bolt hold open will not work.

Another consideration with these magblocks is they tend to be expensive. The permanent one runs $180+ and the removeable is $160+. There are cheaper versions available but I have no experience with them and honestly I do not belive they are good because they are polymer. And just so you know for the cost of a permanent mag block you can buy the dedicated CMMG lower with the magblock machined into the lower. To me that is a not brainer.

Our current 9mm AR has over 8K rounds through it. And with FMJ it runs 100% but with certain HP's it can have feeding issues. To cure it we loaded it with the FTX, polymer tipped, rounds when it is used for self defense.

There are also magblocks that use standard unmodified UZI mags. These tend to be even more expensive. They lock in place just like a standard 5.56 magazine then have a mag release similar to an AK mag release.

For Glock mags there are a few out there. I have zero experience with them so I cannot comment on which is better. I do know that Jon_L on here has a Glock mag lower. He did have some issues wiht it and I can;t recall the brand.

Dolomite

FYI Spikes Tactical has a very good mag. it is made by OEM using orginal dies for Spikes holds open but they think highly of them at 42-45 dollars ea,

Hey Dolomite have you tryed beta mags colt mag yet , Im hoping someone will wear the new off one for me at 330 its a little high maybe KCI will do one soon will be fun with my slide fire.

Interesting. Thanks for all the info....a lot more to it than I assumed. I would opt for the colt style mags and will likely wait till I have the funds to buy a dedicated lower for it. I did not know that the adapters were so expensive. I had'nt checked into it that far.